Official Review: Freedom Novus by Mark Van Roosendaal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Re: Official Review: Freedom Novus by Mark Van Roosendaal

Post by rumik »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 10:07 It's too bad that the book is so dry. I can't stand books that tell instead of show. For that reason, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review, though.
Ever_Reading wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 04:01 Reading a book that's easy to put down and hard to pick up again is never a pleasant experience. Thanks for soldiering on and sharing your review! It's a no from me for this one.
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 09:45 This book sounds like it could have been a great read with better execution. I’m not a huge fan of the telling instead of showing style of writing so I think its message would have been lost by my lack of interest. Thanks for the helpful review!
Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 11:59 It is indeed another unique creation that is worth reading, more if implemented well. Thanks for the interesting review!

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies! :D
rumik
Currently Reading:

Post by rumik »

esp1975 wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 12:51 The biggest challenge I have found in science fiction and fantasy writing is how to get the world-building in without lots and lots of exposition. Many authors find creative ways to do it or realize that not every bit of history they have figured out about their world needs to make it into the book. It is too bad this author did not find a way.
Prisallen wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 15:41 I am not a big fan of books that do more telling than showing either. Although I do like sci/fi novels, I like a healthy dose of character development with it. Therefore, I doubt that I will be reading this book. Thanks for the interesting and informative review, however!
Aniza Butt wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 21:17 Sounds too dry for me. I would pass this one. Thanks a lot for a great review ☺
Kanda_theGreat wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 00:07 I have realized that most sci-fi books are still grappling with how to break the monotony of narration and experienced authors manage to execute their plots well. It's quite disappointing that this author failed to achieve that.
Thanks for the review though.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies :D
rumik
Currently Reading:

Post by rumik »

unamilagra wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 23:27 This sounds like a really interesting premise for a book. It's too bad the writing itself was so dry and difficult to get through. Thanks for an honest review!
gen_g wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 11:48 Oh, I might give this a pass – it seems like the book definitely needs more help. Thanks for the review still!
Cotwani wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 11:47
There is far too much telling and not enough showing. For example, if a character is scared, we are simply told that they're scared. We don't get to see it for ourselves through their expressions and body language.
What a bummer! As you rightly say, this turns a novel into a text book.

Congratulations for toughing it out! Must have been a long month for you.

Great review!
Thank you all for the replies! :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”