Official Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gryphon" by Paula Grover.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paula Grover’s debut novel is a must-read for all fans of fantasy fiction. The Gryphon is not only incredibly well-written, it is also exceptionally edited. Giving free rein to her imagination, the author weaves a highly original story taking place in a world populated with spectacular fantastic creatures that are strangely familiar and relatable. A perfect combination of fantasy and realism, the novel relies on an allegory of human society. It has something for everybody’s taste, from strong family relationships to forbidden love, power struggles, and political alliances.

Sunsky of the Mountains is a magnificent gryphon who is next in line to the Stone Throne of Gryphonia. Her grandmother, Queen Heartsong, has great expectations of her, but Sunsky’s youth and adventurous spirit lead to a terrible mistake. Badly injured during a storm, Sunsky is rescued by Nightsky, a blank winged horse who becomes her lover. The problem is gryphons view horses as enemies and bad omens.

When she gets pregnant with Nightsky’s hippogryph daughter, Sunsky is accused of heresy and brought in front of the Gryphonic Council. She needs to make the hardest decision in her life. Will she abandon Moon Wing to the Valley of Outcasts or will she give up on the premiere queenship and suffer banishment from gryphonic society? She does not know it yet, but her choice will change Gryphonia forever.

The novel reads easily as it is very carefully planned and organized. In the prologue, the author skillfully uses the narrative technique of the journal pretext. Apparently, Tale Weaver, the wingless kryphon scribe, receives a vision from her sister, the gryphonic oracle Truth Speaker. Sunsky’s story springs from this vision and is important because its outcome will shake Gryphonia’s traditions to the core. Henceforward, the third-person narrative perspective focuses on Sunsky and her tumultuous life journey. The novel has three main parts, each of them symmetrically built on ten chapters. The Gryphon becomes an excellent coming-of-age novel. If Part One, “Sunsky of the Mountains,” follows Sunsky’s childhood and adolescence years, Part Two, “Sunground of the Valley,” describes a wiser and more mature heroine. Part Three, “The Ground-Sky Alliance,” seals her transformation and lays the foundation of a new Gryphonia.

What is great about this novel is that it appeals to readers of all ages. Younger readers will probably find themselves in Sunsky’s rebellious spirit. Adult readers will enjoy the elaborate world-building and the hidden meanings of the characters’ actions. As far as I am concerned, I absolutely loved the wide range of characters and the antiracist message of the novel. Like human society, Gryphonia is suffocated by fear and prejudice against creatures whose only sins are being different. As a consequence, keythongs (gryphonic wingless males) and kryphons (gryphonic wingless females) are sterilized at birth and treated as servants. On the same wavelength, winged horses carry a negative symbolism, whereas hophas (“the two-legged creatures known in some spheres as humans”) are believed to be mythological creatures of gryphonic legends. In the end, Sunsky’s story teaches a great lesson of tolerance, forgiveness, and reconciliation.

I am giving Paula Grover’s novel 4 out of 4 stars. The Gryphon deserves the highest rating both for the plot and character development. The beautiful descriptions of either the fantastic creatures or the scenery are accompanied by lively dialogues. Apart from their metaphorical names, the characters have solid background stories. In spite of their diversity, they are constantly traceable due to their distinct features. Chapter by chapter, the story increases in suspense and intensity up to the fulfilling denouement. Although the novel reads as a standalone book and has no cliffhangers, there is room for a sequel. I hope the author considers the idea of another novel set in the new Gryphonia. I know I will add it to my reading list without hesitation.

The Gryphon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy a good series, especially if they are basically stand-alone novels. I'm unsure of the characters' names - Sunsky and Nightsky. Still, it's intriguing enough to look into further. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

This novel seems to stand out on its own, which is something that is not common among novels. The idea and characters are cleverly thought out as well. When I read this review, it makes me wonder if the story of Romeo and Juliet would have had a similar storyline.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Wow, incorporating racial elements into a mythical creature's storyline. The world of the writer, the reader is truly a marvelous place. We can truly shape and mold the world with just words. "The pen is truly mightier than the sword". Thanks for the fantastic review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I don't particularly enjoy this genre so I'm going to pass for now, but thank you for the excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love the themes in the book, dealing with intolerances of others and racial discrimination. This sounds like a fascinating story. Thanks for the great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has created a heart-wrenching dilemma for Sunsky. I love the way the author has been able to write a story that appeals to such a wide range of readers. This looks really good. Thanks for the recommendation!
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

Wow! Your review of the Gryphon got me all excited. I could sense your enthusiasm coming through. Often an author's first novel can be so good because they've been waiting for this opportunity for a while and have had lots of time to really think things through.

It does sound like she has let her imagination run wild and creative. And it's obvious you spent a lot of time and effort on this book and review.

What can I say except you did such an excellent job I'm going directly from here to Amazon.

Sincerely, LLR
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A fantasy fiction novel that takes place in a world populated with spectacular fantastic creatures, the novel is based on an allegory of human society. It has something for everyone, from strong family relationships to forbidden love, power struggles, and political alliances. A good option
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I love this genre. I lived reading the sample and I can't wait to read more.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Just like Sunsky, most youth end up making mistakes because of the spirit of adventure. I can't help but feel for her. The Gryphon by Paula Grover sounds really good and as a lover of fantasy books I will consider reading this. Congratulations on the BOTD. Great review.
Books are beautiful.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I love the way the author has created such detailed descriptions of these creatures and created a unique society, which at the same time mirrors elements found in our own societies.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Your review shows that you understood the story in-depth as you related it to an "allegory of human society" with themes of "strong family relationships, forbidden love, power struggles, and political alliances." Sunsky, a gryphon, sounds like she may be the key to changing Gryphonia's viewpoints on non-gryphons.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing young adult fantasy fiction novel with mythological creatures, romance, politics, commitment, and revolution. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @XyledEarth on the BOTD.
Temestra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Temestra »

The use of more complex words, not commonly used in every day fictional writings, made it difficult to fluidly read without having to stop every few seconds to consult with a dictionary. It was definitely not my cup of tea so to speak.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”