Official Review: Tranquil Fury by PG Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Tranquil Fury by PG Thomas

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tranquil Fury" by PG Thomas.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tranquil Fury: The Anti-Matter Chronicles by P.G. Thomas is a fantasy novel following six teenagers from Earth who are mysteriously transported to a strange world when their school bus is involved in a crash. After the crash, the teenagers are rescued by Mirtza, a local traveler with magical abilities. As Mirtza attempts to bring the teenagers to healers who can tend their wounds, the mystery of the strange world deepens. The majority of the lands the party passes through are deserted, and posters warning of a terrible plague abound. However, after consulting with friendly dwarves and elves, it appears there is something much more sinister happening in this world.

There is no doubt that Tranquil Fury is a thoughtfully constructed novel. The narrative, though slow moving, is clearly setting the stage for an epic battle to take place. The author skillfully reveals information about the hierarchy of the strange world, and the purposes of each of the six teenagers are cleverly unveiled throughout the story. However, like many books that are the first in a series, Tranquil Fury does not end with any type of closure. By the final scene, readers are left with more questions than answers about the fate of the six teenagers and the strange events they’ve experienced.

Once I reached the end of the novel, I could appreciate how the author diligently built up the backbone for the next installment of the series. Unfortunately, for the majority of Tranquil Fury, the pacing was incredibly slow. After the initial excitement of the characters being thrown into a strange world wears off, the story seems to meander while many stories about the world and its inhabitants are relayed to the reader. Moreover, the exposition fails to cover the topics readers would most likely be interested in, like the nature of the villains wreaking havoc throughout the land. The narrative does not provide even an inkling of information about the identity of the antagonists or their motives, adding to the lackluster pacing.

Similarly, the character development wasn’t impressive. The teenagers transported to the new world are diverse, but most were little more than stereotypes. Some of the protagonists are John, the incredibly smart but wimpy kid; Eric, the well-built athlete; Zack, the misunderstood loner; and Lauren, the emotional female. Unfortunately, these stereotypes never went beyond the expected, resulting in rather disappointing characters. Further, the teenagers tended to act much more mature than one would expect, and all six were a little too accepting of their outlandish circumstances.

Pacing and characterization aside, the writing was the most disappointing aspect of Tranquil Fury. The book begins with a lengthy note from the author discussing various nuances in the writing, specifically regarding the elf and dwarf dialogues and the decision to highlight certain coordinators with bold font throughout the novel. These initial comments should stand as a warning for readers: If a book requires abundant explanation of the writing style, what does that say about the storytelling? Additionally, there were grammatical errors in the text, mostly regarding punctuation; however, these errors weren’t nearly as distracting as the author’s decision to use bold font to call out various coordinators. Overall, the backbone of an epic journey lies in Tranquil Fury, but the negative aspects regarding pacing, characterization and writing make this a difficult book to tackle. These factors lead me to rate the novel 2 out of 4 stars. Fantasy fans who enjoy complex plotting may like reading this book, but readers should be ready to take on the full series if they are hoping for any closure.

Tranquil Fury
View: on Bookshelves
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. This is not normally a genre that I enjoy. It sounds like this is a slow moving book so I am not sure that I could get engaged with one book let alone a series. I think I will pass.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I kind of agree with you about the warning about the writing style. If you have to have a warning, I don't think I want to read the book. It's too bad this isn't written better because the plot summary sounds promising. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I think this book is more of an introduction to the series. With another round of editing and solid character development, this book would stand out. Sorry, you had to go through all the errors. Thanks for the review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

The problems you identified are sadly common to SF and fantasy books. Many a great plot idea has been killed by cardboard characters, poor pacing, and cliffhanger endings. Thanks for a very helpful review! :D
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The book's opening caught my attention, and I was hoping for an exciting finish. I appreciate your analysis of this book and the thoughtful recommendations. Thanks.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing young adult fantasy adventure story full of magic, action, a captivating plot, and a marvelous origin story. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an awesome OnlineBookClub review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @PGTtheauthor on the BOTD.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

A warning about the writing style sounds quite peculiar; like you, I would be hesitant to read the book after this explanation. Nonetheless, the premise sounds exciting, and if the author was able to world-build adequately, I could see the book being rather addictive! I think I will pass on this one, as it is not my usual genre, and the writing style may hinder my reading. Thanks for the honest review!
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

I was *so* hoping this would be about how this book was different from every teenagers-specially-chosen-in-a-new-and-exciting-world book, but I really don't think it is. Especially disappointing is the lack of character depth. I'll skip it, thanks for your review.
haripriyaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareepriyaw.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by haripriyaM »

These kind of stories are read usually just for entertainment purpose. May be, this book might be interesting for those who are excited about magics. But those who are looking for some message from any story, this book would not help much. As I usually go for reading books that help us to evolve, I don't find this book that interesting.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Tranquil Fury by P.G. Thomas sounds like really an amazing fantasy novel. It's crazy how the six teenagers from Earth are mysteriously transported to a strange world when their school bus is involved in an accident. I can't wait to unravel the mystery behind it. Congratulations to the author on the BOTD and thanks for the free book. Great review.
Books are beautiful.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I was just wondering what the "pro writing stats" in the synopsis were all about. Thank you for clearing that up. It seems the author put a lot of work toward world-building, but I don't think I can enjoy a book if I can't read it.
cynthia28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia28.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by cynthia28 »

I think the slow plot and lack of characters development made you lower the stars. Still, thanks for the review!
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Regardless of its flaws, Tranquil fury sounds like a very interesting SF with a great plot. With another round of editing and character development, the book can be even more amazing.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A fantasy novel that follows six teenagers from Earth who are transported to a strange world when their school bus is involved in an accident. They are then rescued by a local traveler with magical abilities. It is the first installment of a series.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”