Official Review: Neworld Papers by KB Shaw

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Neworld Papers by KB Shaw

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Neworld Papers" by KB Shaw.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Neworld Papers is a science fiction novel by K.B. Shaw, composed of two books: The Historian’s Tale and The Warriors’ Tale. Fallon is a young man who lives at the Mount, a school for boys in Neworld. Neworld is a planet with two suns: the larger, brighter, distant SolMajor, and the smaller, dimmer, closer SolMinor. Due to an incredible memory and drawing talent, Fallon can recreate still frames of real-life memories perfectly, provided they are from the last two “annums” (Earth years). One day, two Dark Men – who work for Chancellor Brennan, the man heading the Neworld Council – interrogate and murder their prisoner, Vernon McCreigh, at the Mount. Hiding nearby, Fallon sees everything, later sketching the horrific scene in vivid detail. Soon, an older woman, Missus Grier, and her assistant, Bedford, buy Fallon from Headmaster Hunninger, taking the young man to explore an unknown region known as the Fount of Life, where kons (souls) allegedly arrive and leave Neworld. This forms a part of the Below, a mysterious region never before explored by anyone. Fallon's discoveries here challenge the word of the Council and the long-held beliefs of Neworld’s occupants…

Neworld Papers started with a glossary to familiarise the reader with terms peculiar to Neworld. With only 14 such terms, most concerned with solar cycles and reproductive issues, I quickly learned and remembered these. The author’s writing and editing were fantastic; I enjoyed the writing style and the story immediately. The characterisations were simple yet specific, giving a good sense of each character without lingering too long on the description.

Fallon’s quest was mysterious and intriguing, a real adventure to unknown places for an undisclosed purpose. Shaw maintained this aura of mystery nicely, keeping me keen to learn more. Strange new wonders appeared on the journey as the story of Neworld’s history grew, combining science and mythology. I enjoyed the richness of Shaw’s world, its details fleshed out as Fallon discovered them. The history of Neworld grew more interesting by the chapter, while the Dark Men, the Green Jackets, and the chancellor added ominous elements to the narrative.

Neworld Papers also included some interesting science, with characters applying problem-solving skills to find technical solutions to complex problems. Fans of genuine science fiction – like Andy Weir’s The Martian – will enjoy these parts of the book. Character relationships also grew and evolved naturally throughout the narrative. In fact, every part of this book felt so seamless and immersive that I quickly became lost in the story. The ending also wrapped things up nicely, with a definite sense of closure.

Unfortunately, Neworld Papers did have occasional minor errors such as missing punctuation or a missed word. Considering the length of the book, there weren’t many, but I did find ten errors by page 290 out of 540. I can thus only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. With these minor errors fixed, this is a definite 4-star book, filled with genuine characters and an immersive new world. Any genuine science fiction fan should enjoy this book; it has only minor profanity and low-level sex scenes.

Neworld Papers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This sounds like an amazing science fiction tale. Darkmen and Fallon with his extraordinary capabilities make this story even more fascinating. Thanks for an outstanding review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Huh. I know this is science fiction but it reminds me of stuff like The Edge Chronicles and a steapunk series I read younger by Scott Westerfeld. I'm interesting in knowing what Fallon discovers and if he does best the council, so I'll definitely be checking this out.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Falconcrest wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 02:30 This sounds like an amazing science fiction tale. Darkmen and Fallon with his extraordinary capabilities make this story even more fascinating. Thanks for an outstanding review.
Yeah, a really interesting sci-fi with great characters and an enthralling story. Definitely worth a look. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 03:35 Huh. I know this is science fiction but it reminds me of stuff like The Edge Chronicles and a steapunk series I read younger by Scott Westerfeld. I'm interesting in knowing what Fallon discovers and if he does best the council, so I'll definitely be checking this out.
A really enjoyable read with a fantastic story which really held my interest all the way through the book. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the names of the two suns! The author sounds creative with names and adventures. I enjoyed your enthusiastic review of this fantasy story. Great job!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”