Official Review: The Gods and the Game Changer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: The Gods and the Game Changer

Post by gen_g »

Tomah wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 10:55 I'm not into religious books, but the concept of a retelling of the Bible in a fantasy setting sounds intriguing. It's a shame the execution is lacking though. I think the author might've run into the problem of having a fully fleshed idea (after all, the Bible has been out there for a while) but failing to properly convey it to the readers through the setting and characters. Thanks for the review!
Yeah, I do think that that might have been the case. Hopefully, it will be revised. Thanks for the comment!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ouch. I've found that, often enough, direct religious analogies in a fantasy setting are either really easy to do or extremely hard, and it sounds like the author has stumbled into the second category. I'm sure the issues you highlighted are the cause of this book not working and I do wonder if the author even actually got this past more than one editing process, particularly since it sounds like this actually needs to be longer to work with the Biblical parallels.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Nisha Ward wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 17:14 Ouch. I've found that, often enough, direct religious analogies in a fantasy setting are either really easy to do or extremely hard, and it sounds like the author has stumbled into the second category. I'm sure the issues you highlighted are the cause of this book not working and I do wonder if the author even actually got this past more than one editing process, particularly since it sounds like this actually needs to be longer to work with the Biblical parallels.
Indeed, it was more like a rough draft than a proper book. It is definitely not easy to weave biblical parallels into a story, and to do it well. Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

Your rating of this book indicates that it's uninteresting as well as uninspiring. You surely found it laborious reading the same. it falls outside the genre of books I would invest time in. I will not even bother to read it. Thanks for the great review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Nkoo wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 10:37 Your rating of this book indicates that it's uninteresting as well as uninspiring. You surely found it laborious reading the same. it falls outside the genre of books I would invest time in. I will not even bother to read it. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for stopping by!
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

You did a terrific job of reviewing a very difficult book. I can understand how someone might turn the Christian story of "the fall" into a fantasy novel. Too bad it was so poorly done.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

My view is that books are meant to be fun and not endured. From your review, this book appears to have been an endurance for you. Thank you for the forewarning.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Juliet+1 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 13:41 You did a terrific job of reviewing a very difficult book. I can understand how someone might turn the Christian story of "the fall" into a fantasy novel. Too bad it was so poorly done.
Indeed, the execution of the plot was such a pity! Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment. (:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like this book needs a complete rewrite. Thanks for the great, thorough review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 04:03 Seems like this book needs a complete rewrite. Thanks for the great, thorough review!
Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment!
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Thank you for your honesty. It is tempting to think that the author was just new to publishing, but I agree with the comment that the rip off of the Fall story is kind of sneaky.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

djr6090 wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 18:45 Thank you for your honesty. It is tempting to think that the author was just new to publishing, but I agree with the comment that the rip off of the Fall story is kind of sneaky.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”