Official Review: U-10 by Sam B Miller II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: U-10 by Sam B Miller II

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "U-10" by Sam B Miller II.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

U-10 by Sam B Miller II is a science fiction book that follows Ty Lavender, a soldier stationed in Afghanistan, after he comes into possession of a mysterious and powerful alien device: the U-10. He's joined by the rest of his squadron, a high-ranking member of the US government's supernatural investigation department named Lincoln Frost, and Koritt, the alien who lost the U-10 when he crashed on Earth. With the help of the U-10 and the gadgets it creates, they take on terrorists while preventing advanced alien technology from falling into the hands of government spooks.

It should be obvious from the summary that this book is extremely action-oriented. The characters are pretty standard - Ty, for example, is a prototypical action protagonist whose bravery and disrespect for authority command respect from those around him. This wasn't too much of a problem, though. I found that these archetypes worked fairly well for the story the author was trying to tell, and there are enough characters involved in the story that it's hard to get bored with any of them.

The action scenes themselves are quite interesting, particularly due to the U-10's highly variable abilities. I do wish that it wasn't quite so powerful, though. Most conflicts end with Ty and his team using a nigh-unstoppable alien weapon, and while they can only use each type of device once, there just aren't enough drawbacks associated with this power to maintain tension throughout most of the book. I felt like the author tried to preserve tension by killing off side characters, but this became stale very quickly. The final showdown was the one exception to this; I felt like the ending to the book was both exciting and narratively satisfying.

I found just over ten typos, but they are easy to gloss over if you aren't looking for them. Most of the errors pertain to things like misplaced apostrophes, commas, and quotation marks. The writing style is effective and not too flashy, and the pacing is consistent throughout the book. The author does a great job of switching up the narrative's status quo - as soon as things start becoming repetitive, some new, greater threat is unearthed.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It's exciting and well-structured, with a strong action focus, so it's a good choice if you enjoy action-oriented science fiction. If you're a fan of "hard" science fiction that focuses more on actual science and logic, you're better off looking elsewhere. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I have to admit that there are a few rough spots. If the author moves beyond common character archetypes and maintains the narrative's tension more effectively, the next books in this series are going to be exceptional.

U-10
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

Wow! This book looks something like that could be made into a movie. Your review makes me want to pick this up for a read.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I enjoy science fiction books! I prefer stories with more character development, but this still sounds like it would be a fun read. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Occasionally, I just want to be entertained without paying much mind to the minute details, and this seems like the right book for that. Thanks for reviewing.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I really enjoyed Smith, which was a BOTD a while back and is written by the same author. For that reason, I'm tempted to try this book out. Too bad the characters weren't uniquely developed and the tension in the plot was not effectively maintained. Either way, great review. Thanks!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I really like this review. Sometimes, people just want their popcorn flick (or book) and that's okay. Sounds like this is one of those. I agree with the comments that this sounds like it could easily be made into a movie.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds interesting with an alien actually working with the humans. It would be fascinating to see what kind of gadgets they invented. I like this one. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

If there's one thing I've learnt from comics and manga, it's that if you're going to include a nigh impossible to beat person or object, there has to be some kind of challenge of some sort or you risk the narrative becoming boring. Still, I'd like to know what Ty and company created with it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”