Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MythicDrmR
Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mythicdrmr.html

Re: Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Post by MythicDrmR »

Who is my favorite? Can their be only one? No, no cannot drop it down to one, but some of my top choices would be J. R. R. Tolkien, J. K. Rowling, Roger Zelazny, Anne McCaffrey, and my most recent find Amie Kaufman and her Starbound Trilogy. I actually started with the second story in the series and, only when I wanted to read more did I realize that there was one before. The first two can stand alone and truly be read in either order without affecting the story line. She creates powerful characters with strong personalities and inherent morality, yet they are every day people doing amazing things. If you are looking for something new to read that has intensity and depth within a fantasy background, I highly recommend Amie Kaufman's These Broken Stars: A Starbound Novel.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mine would be J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, Rick Riordan and Christopher Paolini.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Very interesting to hear everyone's favorites! I am looking to read more fantasy. I feel like I haven't explored the genre enough. This board definitely gave me some ideas, so thank you!
Lonetraveller504
Currently Reading: Urban Tantra
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lonetraveller504 »

A few of the authors that I always look for and love to revisit the books that I have always read by them are
Stephen Donaldson and Glenn Cook. While I may not always agree with the actions of the protagonists, the worlds that they create drag me into them and make me care.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Fantasy and sci-fi authors that I like include J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit), J.K. Rowling (The Harry Potter series), Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park and The Lost World), Stephen King (most of his books), Robin Cook (Cell). I look forward to getting to know the others mentioned above.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

Fantasy as opposed to fiction?
Then my vote would go to Michael Moorcock and his impressively large catalogue of Eternal Champion series books.
I especially liked the Count Brass series.
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Steve Cotterill
Currently Reading: The Captive State
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Steve Cotterill »

I've read work by Gaiman and McGuire and enjoyed both authors, thoughI feel Gaiman's work is slightly better.

My absolutely favourite fantasy author is Tim Powers because his work is always weird and generally exhilarating (though his books do vary greatly).

I also like Adrian Tchaikovsky's work though I confess I tend to read his books once and then move on, that's mostly because he writes great fat bricks of prose and after a while, I find that wearisome to plough through.
Luv_bookz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Luv_bookz »

Tonya wrote:Mine are L.J. Smith,Cassandra Clare,Kim Harrison,and Jeanine Frost.
Kim Harrison and Jeanine Frost are 2 of my favorites.
Rene-DuFeu
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rene-DuFeu »

R. A. Salvatore (The Legend of Drizzt) for sure.
But, I also like the authors of the related hexology 'The War of the Spider Queen'
Richard Lee Byers (Book I-'Dissolution')
Thomas Mayne Reid (Book II-'Insurrection')
Richard Baker (Book III-'Condemnation')
Lisa Smedman (BookIV-'Extinction')
Paul S. Kemp (Book V-'Annihilation')
Philip Athans (Book VI-'Resurrection')

Although this series was written with oversite from Salvatore (for the sake of continuity with his own storyline) all of these authors have other works that are just as good.
Chiamaka
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Chiamaka »

I really love fantasy books and I can't really say one particular author is a favourite cause there are so many that I enjoy- Tolkien of course, Rowling, and more contemporary authors like Ginn Hale, Megan derr, Kell Amber etc
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Ursula Le Guin: she builds worlds beautifully and her themes are very profound. "The Dispossessed" is one of my favourite books ever.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

Definitely Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson!
There's so many out there, but those two definitely stand out. Unfortunately there's a long wait for each new book.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Neil Gaiman with his Ocean at the End of the Lane, Stardust, Coraline, and Graveyard Book! <3 <3
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Post by Toshia »

Darynda Jones
Jennifer L Armentrout
Cassandra Clare
Jeanine Frost
Karina Halle
Kim Harrison
Karpov Kinrade
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

Lydia wrote: 20 Oct 2013, 06:15 Those are all very good fantasy authors. My favorites are a bit too much on the kiddie side, I admit.

Let's see, Tolkien for sure. Then there are two others who follow his patterns - Christopher Paolini (Eragon) and Patricia McKillip (Riddlemaster Trilogy). Raymond E. Feist is also another favorite of mine, though his books are a bit too gory and violent sometimes. Of course, there are also Lewis with his Narnia books, Cornelia Funke (Inkeart), Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson), Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials) and Brandon Mull (Fablehaven). Oh, and Derek Landy - his Skulduggery Pleasant books are simply exquisite!
@Lydia, We must have very similar tastes! Tolkien, Lewis, and Paolini are my three favorite fantasy authors! Riordan is practically a staple in my house and Cornelia Funke and Brandon Mull are very good as well. Out of Funke's books, I discovered the Inkheart trilogy first, but I've also read Dragon Rider and some of her Reckless series. Brandon Mull also wrote the Beyonders, Five Kingdoms, and Candy Shop Wars books, all of which are good.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”