Official Review: The Starside Prophecy by Sarah Tirri

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: The Starside Prophecy by Sarah Tirri

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Starside Prophecy" by Sarah Tirri.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Starside Prophecy is a science fiction and fantasy novel written by Sarah Tirri. In the book, all souls on Earth are beings from another planet undergoing spiritual training. Our world is known as one of the most brutal training grounds, exposing the participants to all sorts of trials so they can achieve higher levels of existence. Our main character is Sarah, a Level 10 soul who hates Earth. She is forced to continue her cycle of reincarnation under the watchful eye of Melchizedek, the creator of humans.

The book mostly follows Sarah as she guides us through her new life. The reader also experiences several stories happening at the same time on Starside, the planet overseeing Earth. We learn about many different people and the role they play in this spiritual project: Melchizedek, the creator who watches everything; Allusia, who shows up in dreams to help and guide humans; Salvatore, who tends to souls who lost their way; and many others.

The main character leads a turbulent life filled with drama and negative thoughts. It’s easy to relate to her struggles, which should be the main focus of the narrative. Sadly, the novel loses itself in its many storylines and characters, interspersing the chapters featuring Sarah with random chapters that often add nothing to the story. One moment you’re dying to know what happens to the protagonist, and the next you’re introduced to characters who only matter for a few paragraphs.

Sarah’s story is told through exposition as she narrates what happened in the past rather than showing us the events as they happen. This lessens the impact of scenes that would’ve otherwise felt dramatic and authentic. For example, we’re constantly told about the protagonist’s conflicts with other people, but we rarely see the actual dialogue. Meanwhile, the novel spends entire chapters on inconsequential conversations between other characters.

The Starside Prophecy has an intriguing setting that incites the imagination: fantastical planets, beings who can literally will things into existence, a spiritual hierarchy of souls, and much more. Unfortunately, the novel fails to communicate these ideas clearly and effectively. Many boring, drawn-out paragraphs try to explain certain concepts but leave the reader more confused than before.

A good example of the novel’s problem with exposition is the following: “Advanced souls are able to moderate Antiforce, enabling them to align with the still-small-voice of the eternal perspective.” This sentence alone has two terms that never get a simple, clear explanation in the entire book (Antiforce and still-small-voice), as well as the cryptic expression “eternal perspective.” Sentences like this could be rewritten in much simpler ways.

The book features numerous errors, especially missing punctuation and other typographical errors like “I deliberately looked away is if doing so was somehow wounding to the planet.” Given this and the issues with exposition and plot, I rate The Starside Prophecy 1 out of 4 stars. I can only recommend it if you’re intrigued by the premise and don’t mind having to deal with complicated ideas and disjointed storylines.

Profanities are abundant in the novel, so it’s not suitable for young readers. There are also mature themes like rape, descriptions of violence, and a brief sex scene. You might want to avoid the book depending on your religious beliefs since the story rejects atheism and traditional forms of Christianity. Indeed, all of the atheist characters are either miserable or horrible people, and a preacher is chastised for causing “unnecessary fear” in his sermons.

The Starside Prophecy
View: on Bookshelves
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I surely won't read as it sounds complicated for me. Sad to hear that you had to go through the pain of reading such complicated book full of errors.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Aniza Butt wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 04:03 I surely won't read as it sounds complicated for me. Sad to hear that you had to go through the pain of reading such complicated book full of errors.
It's not the easiest book to follow, that's for sure. Thanks for the comment!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this is one I'll avoid for sure. It sounds like an interesting concept even though I don't believe in reincarnation. The execution needs work, though. I also wouldn't enjoy the graphic scenes. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This definitely does not sound appealing to anybody if I'm being honest. Thank you for the honest review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder what is the highest level that can be attained, seeing that Sarah at Level 10 is still far from perfection. It also seems that the Earth is being depicted as some sort of Purgatory. I am in awe of the author's fertile imagination. I hope she is able to impart her visions better.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 01:44 This definitely does not sound appealing to anybody if I'm being honest. Thank you for the honest review!
Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 11:10 I wonder what is the highest level that can be attained, seeing that Sarah at Level 10 is still far from perfection. It also seems that the Earth is being depicted as some sort of Purgatory. I am in awe of the author's fertile imagination. I hope she is able to impart her visions better.
kandscreeley wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 13:45 Well, this is one I'll avoid for sure. It sounds like an interesting concept even though I don't believe in reincarnation. The execution needs work, though. I also wouldn't enjoy the graphic scenes. Thanks anyway.
I don't know what's the highest level either, now that you mention it! Yes, the ideas are interesting but poorly implemented, so at this stage I can't really recommend to anyone. Thanks for the comments!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Frankly, I liked the plot of the book but it is a pity that the story is lacking the organization of ideas. I hope the writer only did some more detailing. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This doesn't seem like one that I would be interested in even if it was better written. Thanks for the thorough review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 11:42 Frankly, I liked the plot of the book but it is a pity that the story is lacking the organization of ideas. I hope the writer only did some more detailing. Thanks for the review!
Mbrooks2518 wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 14:54 This doesn't seem like one that I would be interested in even if it was better written. Thanks for the thorough review!
Thanks for the comments! Indeed, it's not to everyone's taste, but I do believe it has potential.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

The theory of Earth being a training ground is so exciting. I mean, see how imaginative the author is. I enjoyed your review and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy reading the book just as much. Thanks for the review
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The idea of the story seems unique. However, It's disappointing to have so much flaws in the story. Thanks for this honest review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

At the beginning of your review, the book sounded a lot like The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It doesn't seem as if it was nearly as well written though. It's unfortunate that such a promising storyline was marred by so many errors and poor writing. I enjoyed reading your in-depth review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 01:42 The idea of the story seems unique. However, It's disappointing to have so much flaws in the story. Thanks for this honest review!
Kelyn wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 11:26 At the beginning of your review, the book sounded a lot like The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It doesn't seem as if it was nearly as well written though. It's unfortunate that such a promising storyline was marred by so many errors and poor writing. I enjoyed reading your in-depth review!
juliusotieno02 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 00:27 The theory of Earth being a training ground is so exciting. I mean, see how imaginative the author is. I enjoyed your review and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy reading the book just as much. Thanks for the review
I haven't read The Host, but it does seem to touch on similar themes. Indeed, the setting is very imaginative, so I really wanted to like this one. Thanks for the review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I love the premise of this novel! It's so disappointing that it's not well-executed because it has a lot of potential. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”