Post Apocolyptic and Dystopian Themes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Captnkate 50
Currently Reading: Merchants of Virtue
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post Apocolyptic and Dystopian Themes

Post by Captnkate 50 »

Writing about the future or how societies might evolve over time is not a new theme for authors. Jules Verne gave readers a fantasy like approach to the future in works such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. H.G. Wells added a sense of panic and uncertainty when readers engaged in The War of the Worlds. George Orwell's complete upheaval of society, human and not human, displayed in 1984 and Animal Farm gave people a chilling look into those who take power for the sole reason of control and subjugation.

The Gender Game series by Bella Forrest has taken me by surprise. Her creation of this dystopian society divided by gender is facinating and a bit disturbing. Once again heroes and heroines must cope and stay alive while those in power have underlying motives that serve their own interests. Men and women do not have to be on opposite sides as devotion and sacrifice prove otherwise.

There are seven books in this series and I just wanted to fly through all of them. Bella Forrest is a prolific author having published many series. The Gender Game is an exciting introduction to her storytelling.
If any readers also enjoy works by Bella Forrest drop a line on this page.
Readeatrepeat1
Currently Reading: What the Dog Saw
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeatrepeat1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Readeatrepeat1 »

I had never heard of Bella Forrest before reading your post, but I looked up The Gender Game and it looks right up my alley! I love YA dystopian fiction. I also tried to find it at my library and on Overdrive/Libby but they didn't have it, which really surprised me given how popular she seems to be on Amazon.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I confess I didn't know this author even though a quick research shows that some of her books were published in Italy. Looks like she generally writes fantasy/horror YA stories so she was a bit outside my radar. Thank you for your post.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I know dystopias have been around since the late 1800s but I've yet to encounter something with quite this premise. The closest thing I can think of is The Handmaid's Tale but even that seems extremely different given the context. I'll look into this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I just came across a book from 1985 called Schismatrix with a similar sounding vibe. Definitely on my read list right now.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
FionaSongbird
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by FionaSongbird »

I'd never heard of this author or series before, so thanks for posting! I really enjoy dystopian fiction, so it's definitely something I want to check out. I love the classic dystopias, like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, and the young adult dystopias, like The Giver. I really enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy, but gave up on the Divergent and The Maze Runner. I started the Parable of the Sower series and it was really interesting, but I never finished it, so someday I hope to get back to it.
Ivona R
Currently Reading: Clean Water for Developing Countries
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivona-r.html
Latest Review: Restore Trust by Werner NEFF

Post by Ivona R »

Wow, thanks for widening my horizons! I certainly love dystopian themes. I haven't heard of this author before and it's the first time I've heard of a dystopian society segregated by gender. It's an interesting idea.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”