Official Review: Thief's Theme: A Love Story by M.A.N.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Thief's Theme: A Love Story by M.A.N.

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thief's Theme: A Love Story" by M.A.N..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Meet Ji, thief extraordinaire. He can steal anything “in a snap” and has aspirations to become the world’s greatest thief.

Meet Shar, police officer. She’s morally opposed to stealing and vows to bring Ji in for his crimes.

Ji and Shar have been friends since they were kids. Because she hates stealing and because he loves her, Ji has never stolen from Shar and won’t without her permission.

But the rest of the world is up for grabs. And hey, why stop at Earth? When Ji takes thieving off the planet, Shar is recruited by the Keepers to hunt him down. Only, does Shar want him back for justice or love?

Thief’s Theme: A Love Story by M.A.N. is a book that makes you think in many ways. I’ll say right up front that this story requires some of the strongest suspension of disbelief I’ve ever seen. If you can’t handle the idea, this may not be the book for you. I am usually the kind of fantasy reader who wants their magic at least somewhat explained in a sensible way. For this book, though, I tossed out all my desires for sense to go along for the fun and adventurous ride.

In the beginning, I got some serious Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? vibes. Ji steals all seven world wonders at once, and Shar goes globe trotting to interview people and maybe find her man. As things progressed, I revised my statement to “Where in the Universe is Carmen Sandiego?”. The assortment of planets and civilizations included in this book is amazing. All I need now is the computer game with the chief making bad puns about how I need to retrieve that planet-hopping hoodlum before he hops away with the universe’s hopes.

I really enjoyed the dynamics between Ji and Shar. It’s clear early on that Ji loves Shar and has for a while. It’s less clear (at least to Shar) how she feels about Ji, but I think that was the point. I knew how she felt long before she really admitted it to herself. This brought a whole new and refreshing meaning to “forbidden romance.” They are literally on two sides of the law, and I cheered for them the entire time. Without spoiling, this is definitely a “love conquers all” story. For someone brought up on a healthy dose of Disney movies, this book’s ending was everything I wanted. It is also free of adult content and so may be enjoyed by romance lovers of any age.

On a more serious note, this book presented one of the most amazing lessons of life in the most creative way I’ve ever seen. Ji spends a good portion of the book stealing objects, but he also steals things from himself, such as the ability to be harmed or lose a confrontation. At first, I thought this was taking things a little too far, but as I kept reading, it dawned on me that Ji had stumbled onto something great. He took his own limitations, his own ability to be defeated, away, which is something we all have the power to do. Ji embodies the idea that “the only thing standing in your way is you.” Seeing this idea put in such literal terms was an eye-opening experience for me. Ji makes it look easy, but once you believe it’s possible, it really can be “a snap.”

There were many errors throughout—missing punctuation and words, as well as misspellings. Due to this, I rate Thief’s Theme: A Love Story 3 out of 4 stars. Early on, I considered giving this 2 because of my trouble with suspension of disbelief. This didn’t last long, and by the end, I was firmly at a 3-star rating. I would have liked to give this 4. I recommend this book to fans of stories with thieves for protagonists, as well as those wanting a love story with some real-life barriers. Those who like their romance with a healthy helping of fantasy may also enjoy this.

Thief's Theme: A Love Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like the unusual storyline, it aroused my curiosity. I wonder if Shar will uphold her moral conviction or follow her heart. Thanks for an interesting review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I love your reference to Carmen Sandiego.
I think this bit of magic, this ability to steal your own faults away from yourself is super interesting. It confused me at first why you said Ji had never stolen from Shar, and that he wouldn't without her permission, because I was still thinking in terms of items. But he could also steal her self-doubt, etc. Super intriguing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I am impressed by your description of the author's writing style. The blending of romance with science fiction while conveying an important lesson is amazing. Your review has piqued my interest!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh nice. I love stories about thieves and it sounds like Ji is a master at what he does (I mean, all seven wonders at once?). I do wonder what Shar does once she realises how she feels as she's also duty bound to bring him in.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
owachtel
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owachtel.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by owachtel »

Wow, I love your reference to Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?! I'm typically not a fan of sci-fi or fantasy, but you really made this book sound like it's worth checking out.

That being said, how overt is the theme about "the only thing stopping you is yourself"? While I agree that people might be able to stop themselves from being hurt or vulnerable, I don't necessarily think that's a healthy way to live, so if that theme is too over the top, I might not enjoy the book... if that makes sense?

Thank you for the great review! I especially appreciate the reasoning behind your rating.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

Ha! You know, I gotta admit, in all honestly, I love a great goofy story. Especially in a world of The Hunger Games, Handmaid's Tale, and A Song of Ice and Fire, it's honestly nice to take a break from the doom and gloom and just have fun. This sounds absolutely delightful and light-hearted. Thanks for your review!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Am in all ways a fantasy lover but i don't read romance genre. It is a difficult choice, hope i would decide someday soon😁.
Thanks for the review :tiphat:
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”