Official Review: The Scent of Distant Worlds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The Scent of Distant Worlds

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scent of Distant Worlds" by W. D. County.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Six crew members travel on the spaceship Far Traveler to the planet Obsidian for exploration and to see if there are any natural resources worth developing. The crew consists of Cassie, Max, Jonas, Lyra, Li, and Doc. Upon landing, everything looks black and bleak, but they notice a water supply. Rounded shapes resembling large, black mushrooms are subsequently observed close to the water. They don’t realize initially that these plants are intelligent and communicate with each other by different scents as well as their roots.

It is Cassie’s job as the science officer to determine if there is life on the planet and if it is intelligent. If there is intelligent life, their Prime Directive states they have to take a hands-off approach to the planet. This will make many people unhappy as the planet is thought to be rich in diamonds. So, they bring a few samples of the mushroom-like plants into the lab for research. Because of corrosives inside their bodies, most of the plants are destroyed as soon as they are cut. This causes them to disintegrate and turn to black sand. After experimenting on several samples, only one is left alive.

A small creature tries to rescue the plant. It gets away after being noticed but is captured after appearing a second time. Then, a second animal appears and sprays corrosives on the spaceship’s supports, causing the ship to tilt. While chasing the second animal, Jonas runs into a bog, is pulled underground, and disappears. A gigantic sandstorm appears out of nowhere, forcing the crew to abandon the search for Jonas and seek shelter in the ship.

Will the owner of this ship and the captain (Max) be willing to give up the diamonds to save the lives of the civilization on Obsidian? Will these natives forgive the Earthlings for killing their family members or will they demand revenge?

When I started reading The Scent of Distant Worlds, by W. D. County, I was pulled into the story right away. It moved rapidly to the Earthlings landing on the planet, encountering the “mushrooms”, and starting their research. Then, it repeated what just happened through the Obsidian natives’ point of view. There are quite a few stories of meeting unfriendly aliens while exploring other planets. You get that and more in this book as the author gives the reader both viewpoints. We see what the natives go through as their friends and family members are captured and, from their perspective, tortured. I loved this addition to the story, and it was my favorite part.

The book is 338 pages, broken up into 62 chapters, and is told in third person. The author, W. D. County, has been a nuclear reactor operator aboard a ballistic missile submarine, a quality assurance manager at Three Mile Island, and a developer of custom software for the federal government. Because of his knowledge of technology, he can make life aboard the spaceship seem believable but doesn’t make it seem overly complicated. He has a very vivid imagination and has the ability to bring Obsidian to life with descriptions that are picturesque and clear. His writing is articulate and easy to understand.

The characters are all well developed. Cassie is our main protagonist and wants to do what is right. However, she has made a horrible mistake by experimenting on the natives. Nonetheless, she is brave and resists bowing to authority if they are wrong. Jonas and Cassie had been in love before they left Earth, and this journey will severely test their relationship. The reader sees how different characters react to the possibility that intelligent life exists on this planet, perhaps ending their endeavors to become rich. It brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.

Treating other beings, even though they look and act differently from us, with respect and compassion is a strong theme throughout this book. Also, the need to abstain from the plundering of resources haphazardly is addressed; man’s greed can create destruction. The author quotes Newton’s Third Law, “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction”. We can apply the lessons learned here to our daily lives.

A few minor errors were found in the book, mostly in the form of misspelled words and words left out. Since there were only a few and not distracting, I did not take off any stars.

As there was nothing about this book I didn’t like, it deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who like science fiction and fantasy will appreciate this novel. There is violence in the book; therefore, it is unsuitable for children or sensitive readers.

The Scent of Distant Worlds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Carla911
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carla911 »

This is a great review, but not my type of book!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I like the idea of seeing things through the natives’ point of view. Cassie sounds like the kind of MC that I like and I enjoy sci-fi novels. The author also sounds like he’s got a lot of experience in many fields to back up his science and tech. Thanks for the review!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I think I'll enjoy this one since I do enjoy well written science fiction! Thanks for the review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 14:33 I like the idea of seeing things through the natives’ point of view. Cassie sounds like the kind of MC that I like and I enjoy sci-fi novels. The author also sounds like he’s got a lot of experience in many fields to back up his science and tech. Thanks for the review!
I hope you get a chance to read it as I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

rumik wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 19:19 I think I'll enjoy this one since I do enjoy well written science fiction! Thanks for the review.
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for commenting on my review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I love the idea of presenting the same events through the lenses of both sets of characters - both the humans and the native inhabitants of the planet. It helps build empathy and reminds us that we don't know everything.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

esp1975 wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 17:56 I love the idea of presenting the same events through the lenses of both sets of characters - both the humans and the native inhabitants of the planet. It helps build empathy and reminds us that we don't know everything.
I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks for commenting!
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

The author did well by not narrating the human point of view as the main theme. Sounds like a complex but enjoyable book. Thank you for a great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Dee_218 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 14:45 The author did well by not narrating the human point of view as the main theme. Sounds like a complex but enjoyable book. Thank you for a great review.
I definitely enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a fan of science-fiction, so I'll skip this book. Great review, though!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 10:12 I'm not a fan of science-fiction, so I'll skip this book. Great review, though!
Thank you and thanks for stopping by!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

This is far about my interest. But maybe it's worth reading. I never experience reading a piece of book talking about science. And I just only watched this scene in the movie, where the Astronaut leave the Earth for another planet doing research. Nice review. Thank you!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

BookPower9 wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 21:32 This is far about my interest. But maybe it's worth reading. I never experience reading a piece of book talking about science. And I just only watched this scene in the movie, where the Astronaut leave the Earth for another planet doing research. Nice review. Thank you!
I think it is definitely worth reading. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I like sci fi that looks at stuff like this. I wonder what the ultimate conclusion is like with the black mushroom thingnand what the other creatures are. It sounds fascinating.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”