Official Review: Planet of Men Book 2 of Enigma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Planet of Men Book 2 of Enigma

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Planet of Men Book 2 of Enigma" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Planet of Men Book 2 of Enigma is an exciting and an action-filled science fiction novel and the second in the series written by David Crane.

Professor Peter Blackwood is a refugee in Freedom Island in the Planet of Enigma. He is a citizen of the space Confederation and a former Space Marine officer. He was on his way to a paradise resort planet to enjoy his retirement when he was abducted by the red cloud and was taken to Enigma, a planet colonized by humans and overlords, to fulfill a four-hundred-year-old prophecy. Considered as the messiah by the humans and an enemy by the overlords, powerful demigods that rule the colony, Peter finds refuge in Freedom Island, an exotic and a magical place where demigods are stripped of their powers.

Prophesied to be the one to end the rule of the overlords over humans, Peter leads the search for the Heart of the Sun, a powerful weapon that turns overlords into ordinary humans. It is buried deep in the bowels of the Hydra caves and is guarded by monstrous creatures of ancient legend.

Meanwhile, Empress Yuka Sato and Edward Grant are preparing for the invasion of Freedom Island. The islanders, however, are not going down without a fight, and in their battle against the powerful and mighty overlords, the fierce and courageous tribesmen find an unlikely ally.

Told in the first-person perspective of Professor Peter Blackwood, this is a fast-paced, an exciting, a suspenseful, and an action-filled book with thirty-six chapters. It features a multiple of subjects including love, friendship, freedom, courage, determination, and sacrifice, as well as power, greed, and cruelty. It depicts how the power that can be used to create, to heal, and to help out can also be used to destroy, to hurt, and to demean. It shows how easy it is for someone powerful to take advantage of someone else he considers inferior.

The plot is unpredictable with several unexpected twists making the story suspenseful and exciting. Scenes are intense and carefully and thoroughly described including scenes of battle, confrontation, and even hand-to-hand combat. Characters are well-developed and have sufficient backstories. Among the number of endearing and admirable characters, which include Peter Blackwood, himself, my favorite is Sachiko Nomura, the brave and smart overlord who is loved by her people because of her kindness. Finally, I find the ending quite fitting.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this book immensely. The part I like most is the portrayal of intelligent, strong, and courageous women. They know what they can do, what they are made of, what they want, and what they need to do. Though they love a man, they do not need a man to make them feel complete.

Except for noticeable errors, which are, thankfully, very few, I like everything about this book. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, exciting, and suspenseful. I recommend it to readers who enjoy science fiction and thriller novels. Scenes of violence and gore, however, may not be suitable for young readers. Moreover, though I, obviously, enjoyed this book as a standalone, I recommend reading the first book in the series for better appreciation.

Planet of Men Book 2 of Enigma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Judging by your review, l believe this to be a book of many characters. I'm curious as to how the author brought them all together to make a good story. I have always liked alternative world fiction, I'm certain I will enjoy this book. Thanks for an awesome review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I am a little confused by what is going on, but I think that is because this is the second book in the series, and you can't really give a synopsis of both books here. It definitely piques my interest, and I will have to look for the first book in the series.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A suspenseful science fiction with an unexpected plot?? Sign me up; you are speaking my language! Great review. You definitely have my interest, and I'll have to put this on my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

Four hundred old prophesy...that should be interesting...good work on the review dear
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 08:37 Judging by your review, l believe this to be a book of many characters. I'm curious as to how the author brought them all together to make a good story. I have always liked alternative world fiction, I'm certain I will enjoy this book. Thanks for an awesome review.
Thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:33 A suspenseful science fiction with an unexpected plot?? Sign me up; you are speaking my language! Great review. You definitely have my interest, and I'll have to put this on my list. Thanks!
Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

FREDFDK wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:40 Four hundred old prophesy...that should be interesting...good work on the review dear
Thank you. It's an enjoyable book.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Sounds like this was an exciting and engaging read. Well done, kimmyschemy06. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

LinaMueller wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 11:13 Sounds like this was an exciting and engaging read. Well done, kimmyschemy06. :tiphat:
Thank you! I enjoyed it a lot!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

War, invasion, battle! Whew!!! I can't comprehend. Unless I have to get through the first book. Maybe I am not a fan of science fiction novel, but I guess it's worth trying. Wonderful review. Thanks!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

BookPower9 wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 06:43 War, invasion, battle! Whew!!! I can't comprehend. Unless I have to get through the first book. Maybe I am not a fan of science fiction novel, but I guess it's worth trying. Wonderful review. Thanks!
You're welcome and thank you very much.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”