Official Review: Dorothy and the Glass Key

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Official Review: Dorothy and the Glass Key

Post by Julehart1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dorothy and the Glass Key" by Christopher J. Finn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dorothy and the Glass Key is a science fiction and fantasy book written by Christopher J. Finn. Dorothy Alston is a fourteen-year-old girl who has devastatingly lost her mother in a deadly fire. Looking to start their lives over, Dorothy and her father move far away to a farm in Florida. What Dorothy finds while living at the farm is more than she ever imagined. She actually finds the key to unlocking other worlds that are beyond all space and time. All she has to do is put the key in her pocket, and she is transported to a new world. While at these worlds, Dorothy makes friends with two boys, Charlie and Ragesha. Just like Dorothy, the two boys also have a lot of pain that they’re dealing with and trying to get away from. But, are these worlds really a safe getaway for these kids, or is there something more sinister and even evil going on? We move about 34 years into the future and find out that Dorothy is in a permanent catatonic state and is brought to a rehab facility to see a woman named Ellen Steward. What has happened to Dorothy to put her in this condition, and can Ellen unlock the events of the past to save Dorothy’s life? What is the mystery of the keys and how are they connected to Dorothy’s true identity? Find out the answers to these questions and more in this thrilling and suspenseful fantasy tale.

I really enjoyed the premise and the plot of this novel. The reader gets a sense of wonder and terrific imagery mixed in with realism and even horror throughout each page of the book. It’s an interesting choice to show Dorothy in the future in the state that she’s in, and it really pays off. You know how she ends up, but you don’t know how she gets there and if she ever recovers. She also looks much younger than her supposed age, which further adds to the mystery. The whole idea of other worlds and kids from different times dealing with grief and pain is fascinating. The kids are trying to find an escape from all of the suffering in the real world that they can’t share with their parents and loved ones. However, what if their escape world is actually even worse and causes even more pain than reality? The book shows the vulnerability of scared and lost children and how their pain can be taken advantage off. There is a nice balance between light and darkness as well as fantasy and realism in this novel.

I also really liked all of the twists and turns that happened in the book. The novel is a real page-turner that keeps you guessing until the end. There are elements of mystery and suspense that drive this book. There’s a lot to uncover. There’s the mystery surrounding the keys, the other worlds, Ellen Steward, and Dorothy herself. The villain in this story is mysterious as well with a very surprising backstory. There’s also a twist in the end that really changes everything and leaves the door open for a sequel. It’s rare when a book can take the reader by surprise and be an entertaining ride from beginning to end, and this book achieves that.

The only improvements I can suggest are fleshing out the characters more and expanding on the other worlds. I feel like Charlie, Ragesha, Dorothy’s father, and Max could have been developed a bit more to show their personalities and backstories so that we could care more about them. Dorothy was the only character that was pretty well-developed, and even she was a big mystery. We also only get bits and pieces of information about the worlds the children visit. It would be great if the other worlds could be somewhat more expanded, so the readers could really visualize them and understand what’s in them a bit more.

I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I immensely enjoyed the premise, the plot, and all of the twists and turns. I appreciated that this book mixed fantasy with realism and made me use my imagination in wonder and also gave me a sense of horror and dread. The twists all worked, and the last one really set it up for a sequel, which I would love to read. The book was professionally edited. I’m taking a star away because some improvements to the book could still be made. Some of the suggested ways to improve the novel are to develop some of the characters more and also to expand the worlds that were introduced. Fans of fantasy books and science fiction should be delighted with this novel. It would probably be too dark and confusing for younger teens, but I think young adults and older adults will really love this twisty tale.

Dorothy and the Glass Key
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like my kind of read. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely like visiting new worlds; it's one reason I read books like this. It's too bad, then, that those worlds aren't quite as detailed as they could have been. Still, it does sound really interesting. It's one I'll think about more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Wow. This sounds like a very interesting read. Great review!
BookishClassic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishclassic.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by BookishClassic »

This book sounds amazing! I might need to check it out in the future))
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Based on your review, I've added this to my "want to read" list. This sounds like it would be exactly the kind of book my daughter loves, so I am excited to read it and then, hopefully, share it with her.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I love stories that contrast the child-like wonders of fantasy worlds with the dark reality beneath them; it's why Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies of all time. The elements of mystery and suspense make this book even more intriguing, combined with the themes of trauma and grief. Thanks for the great review, it definitely makes me look forward to reading this novel at some point!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I agree this is definitely an intriguing premise for a book. I also like that the author shows Dorothy in a catatonic state and then works backwards. I've read many murder novels set up similarly.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Dark fantasy realism? What's not there to like? I love how you introduced us to the premise and plot of this book. It really sounds great and I'm definitely adding this to my tbr. Thank you! :)
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love this author's creative ideas. Presenting Dorothy's catatonic state really sets the table for an intriguing story. Your review has made us all curious about what happened to these young people! Great review.
racelaine
Currently Reading: Dangerous Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-racelaine.html
Latest Review: Aftermath by Charles Williams

Post by racelaine »

You've intrigued me! It sounds like a really good premise. The idea of a safe escape being turned into something to escape from is very chilling. I'm definitely going to have to check this one out!
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

There is a real psychological confition that explains this. I love that she had to seek help because the condition has a term in psychology and can be diagnosed. The novel reminds me of the movie Inception. Great information in your review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Okay. You got me at different worlds and hooked me with the central mystery. I'm curious as to how Dorothy got into that condition.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Your review has really sold me the book. I must find it and read it. Thank you for the nice review.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

Based on your review, I love the book's plot, the "twist and turns", and the mystery. Even though the world-building and some of the characters' back-stories were not developed, I find this book interesting. I will read this book. I will read its sequel, too.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”