Official Review: Citizen of Earth by Joseph Kassabian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Citizen of Earth by Joseph Kassabian

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Citizen of Earth" by Joseph Kassabian.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Citizen of Earth, by Joseph Kassabian, is a sci-fi/ fantasy story that revolves around Vincent Solaris from Detroit Area Six, following his life through his adventures as a stubborn kid till he finally gets into trouble and is sentenced to serve for three years in Earth's defense forces. Set in a world where the earth and surrounding planets are under the strict rule of the all-powerful "Chairman," Vincent was very lucky to avoid a death sentence for his crimes. En route to planet Ryklar, where Vincent was posted, he meets Fiona Olympus, a martian serving a life sentence, and they both connect romantically. The mission to Ryklar goes sideways, and Vincent and Fiona get stranded on the planet. With the help of some new alien friends, Nox and Zinvor, they hope to survive attacks from enemies and make it back to earth to warn humans about the threat posed by the Anarchs to the existence of humans.

My expectations of a fast-paced thrilling, action and suspense-filled story, on reading the book's description, were pretty much fulfilled. However, at certain points, the pace of the story slowed down and there were a few scenes I felt that were unnecessary.

The first thing I liked about Citizen of Earth would be the good work the author put into the development of the main characters. We start the story with Vincent's Citizen's day ceremony, and we are introduced to Vincent as a young, careless rulebreaker who spends most of his time drinking and smoking. Underneath that, we see someone who didn't have a lot of love growing up, as his father drove his mother away when he was younger. A similar situation could be seen with Fiona, as Martians give their firstborn up for a lifetime of servitude in the Earth's defense forces and Fiona didn't get a lot of love growing up, which translated to her addiction to smoking and drinking as well. Furthermore, another common trait shared by both characters was courage, which was why it was very easy for them to connect. It was very interesting reading as both characters grew throughout the story and I discovered more layers to their personality. It was also very easy to root for them as they embarked on their mission.

Furthermore, the author does a very good job in the action scenes, albeit overusing words like "gore" and "recoil," giving readers detailed descriptions of events and feelings as the characters battled, and including the occasional humor from the main characters to lighten up tense moments. The alien weapons and armor introduced also piqued my interest, and readers will have fun experiencing the different alien cultures the author has created, like the Rhai and Mawr. I liked that the author found a way to not overload the book with alien languages.

I found a few errors in Citizen of Earth, but they were few and far between and I got the impression that the book was well edited. This ensured that my reading was smooth and uninterrupted almost throughout the story. There wasn't much to dislike about the book. However, I have some issues with the world-building. There was no connection between the present Earth and how the Earth became one-dimensional having one supreme leader, "The Chairman." This made the story feel unrealistic at times. I would have also liked a more detailed description of the features of aliens.

Overall, Citizen of Earth was an interesting sci-fi read. The romance element was also a welcome distraction. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't encounter "The Chairman" at all throughout the story, but seeing that this is the first book in the Galaxy on Fire series, I'm sure there'll be enough time for him to make appearances in subsequent books. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The world-building issues mentioned above justify taking out a star from the rating. I wound recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi and fantasy stories. Romance fans will also enjoy following Vincent and Fiona's love story. Sex scenes are non-existent in this book, but the violence and strong language used at times indicate that the book won't be appropriate for a younger audience.

Citizen of Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think it can be hard when you are reading a science fiction book set on a future Earth to not see how the author thinks we got from where we are now to their future. That said, strong, well developed characters trump just about everything for me, so I will certainly add this series to my watch list.
I am interested in The Chairman though, especially since the cover has a very 80s Communist Propaganda feel to me.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many stories about the future see us living under an authoritarian-type government. Chairman seems to fit that role model. I enjoyed your explanation of the character description in this book. Great review!
Unielain
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unielain.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Unielain »

Even though the concept of a dystopian government or an evil dictator is quite common in the genre, I grew interested in this book. The cover art is cool and if characters are interesting enough, the common tropes can be portrayed in a fresh way. Thank you for the review. I found it helpful.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

With science fiction, writers have to build a clear world and universe and this must be relatable to the reader. The author really took this seriously even though they scored 3 out of 4, there is always room for improvement. Thank you for a very informative review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I've been trying to figure out why this sounds so familiar but I think I'll chalk it up to it containing so many elements of classic and modern space operas. The book sounds really interesting as a result. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

This sounds like a pretty fun romp through space. Usually I like to see better structure in the world-building, but the characters actually sound fun and the premise unique if you're able to get over some of the unrealistic flaws. Thanks for your review, it's very detailed!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”