Official Review: The 19th Bladesman by S.J. Hartland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The 19th Bladesman by S.J. Hartland

Post by srividyag1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 19th Bladesman" by S.J. Hartland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 19th Bladesman by S.J. Hartland bears all the hallmarks of a great fantasy. It has intrigue, moral dilemmas, complex characters and an elaborate world-building. The novel is set in an alternate world with many moons and supernatural elements like sorcerers, ghouls and wraiths. This world has mountain lands, tidelands, isles and forests. The setting is exquisite, and the author has done a fantastic job of attributing certain characteristics to people from different lands.

Kaell is the nineteenth bladesman who is a warrior bonded to a god called Khir and is born to kill ghouls ravaging the lands. Ghouls are very similar to the vampires we know. They drink blood and cannot survive in daylight. Kaell is also the ward of Val Arques, an immortal, who is known to all as Lord Vraymorg, lord of the mountains. The story unfolds as Kaell runs away from Vraymorg due to youthful rebellion. This precipitates a series of events where a multitude of vibrant characters interacts with each other to bring about a delightful blend of fantasy fiction that is this book. There are the siblings, Heath and Judith Damadar, who thrive in political intrigue. There is another pair of siblings, Aric and Azenor Caelan, who are the descendants of Roaran Caelan whose sorcery has been defending the lands from the ghouls. An event occurs, which breaks this magic and the ghouls are set free. The ghouls’ god, Archanin, plays a significant role as the prime antagonist.

Many of the characters in this book are immensely complex. They cannot be judged as good or evil in the conventional sense. They do what they believe is right, which might not be the most judicious choice at that point. For example, Azenor travels to a magic land and spends a decade with an ancestor as his lover, and when she returns to the real world, she is ready to kill someone to get back to him. Aric decides to kill an innocent person to save his sister, but later repents and saves that same person.

The story is narrated from the perspective of various characters. I fell in love with each one of them, even the antagonists like Heath Damadar, who is a killer at heart and someone who thrives on chaos and mayhem. It is quite exceptional for a fantasy novel of this depth to contain humorous content, but the author has succeeded in infusing some characters with an endearing sense of humour. I quote:
"You’re the one who reads old stories in your creepy tower.”
“It’s called a library, Pairas.”
“Whatever. It still creeps."
There are plenty of multi-dimensional characters like Aric Caelan, who struggles between his duty and his empathy for Kaell. Lord Vraymorg is one of the most complicated characters I have seen in any fantasy. He has five centuries of experience, yet he is torn between love and duty. He struggles with his identity as a duty-bound soldier and his previous life as an Isles man. Even minor characters such as the sorceress Aingear, the warrior Pairas and the King Cathmor are given depth and colour.

If I were to state it simply, this novel would be ultimately the story of Kaell and Vraymorg- the bond they share and each realising what they expect of the other. Over the 625 pages of this book, we see Vraymorg struggling with his fatherly love for Kaell. On one hand, he is duty-bound to the king because of a century-old curse. On the other hand, he loves Kaell like a son and wants to protect him. Alternatively, Kaell is always motivated by his need to please Vraymorg.

Another significant characteristic of this book is that the violence of bondage, torture and rape is always towards men and sometimes inflicted by women. It explores a side not always resorted to in fiction; it is refreshing to burst out of gender stereotypes and show that men are equally vulnerable. This novel also upholds the freedom of a woman to take multiple lovers, just as a man can. The author is never crude while detailing the scenes of torture and darkness. The love scenes are beautiful and heart-wrenching sometimes. All the women characters possess a lot of power and mostly possess a nimble tongue. This leads to some extremely funny dialogue, and I loved it.

I can write many more paragraphs about this novel. However, I am worried I would wax poetic (like Kaell) and reveal spoilers. I was drowning in the world fashioned by S.J. Hartland. I loved each and every twist. There are many loose ends in the book, which I am sure will be tied up in the next of the Shadow Sword series. If I were to cite one thing that I disliked about the book, it would be the length. This was mostly because I was just extremely curious to know what would happen to the various characters immediately, and the length was a hindrance to this. So, this observation is absolutely subjective. Now that I have read the book, I do not want the book to be shorter. I will gladly read the next book in the series even if it is 800 pages long. I really wish there was a list of all the characters in the book at the end and a map to know the lay of the various lands. However, I did compile my own list of characters to track them throughout the story.

For a book of this size, it is challenging to have no typos. I did find two or three, but only because I was looking for them with an eagle’s eyes. Else, the book is perfectly edited in every way. In light of all the above, I give The 19th Bladesman by S.J. Hartland a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who loves being immersed in a fantasy world with supernatural beings and royal intrigue imbued with magic, curses and blood rituals. Any reader who loves complicated characters, morally grey areas and philosophical ponderings would drown willingly in this book. I would not recommend this book to someone who wants a shorter read, or to those who shy away from text containing gore, torture and pain. There are some love scenes and sexual content, but they are never vulgar or crude. Therefore, I would say any reader above the age of sixteen could read this novel.

The 19th Bladesman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

This sounds so fascinating. It's takes a lot of mastery to have so many characters in a book, yet tie them all together. I enjoyed reading your review.
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

It sounds interesting, the title had me thinking of the movie Blade. But I'm not a fan when it comes to sexual content so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Wow, this sounds amazing. I love books that break down gender stereotypes, I'd probably enjoy this one. Thanks for the review!
bmfought
Currently Reading: Resisting the Bad Boy
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmfought.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bmfought »

I loved your review! With books that have many characters, it is sometimes necessary to keep a pen and notebook with you to write a list. I have had to do it many times. If it is a good read, you sympathize and connect with several and it is easier to handle. It sounds like a book that I would love to read, and will definitely be putting it on my pile. Thanks!
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I actually got this one when it was a book of the day, but haven't read it yet. I usually prefer stories told by one or two main characters, as more might get confusing, but you seem to have had it easy with each one and loved them, so I guess, it is well written and easy to understand who is narrating.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Isn't that the way it is in real life? No one is purely good or bad. Instead they do what they think is right. I love that the characters are realistic, and the world is so well-built. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This one sounds amazing! What a thorough and complex book. They are my favourites actually, and I will be checking this one out. Thank you for this excellent review. Cheers :)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the way you describe the characters. A great read for fantasy fans! Thanks for the compelling recommendation.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Thank you for the detailed heads up. I would love to read this. The book has all the ingredients of an interesting fantasy book.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

This book is indeed a voluminous one, up 600 pages. Itd s a lengthy one and it seems fascinating too. Thanks for the review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An epic fantasy tale about a kingdom on the edge of chaos, a vengeful god, and a doomed boy sounds just the book for me. Add ghouls, magic, and a vengeful god on the loose, and you got one heck of an adventure. Complex characters, great world-building, and good editing make it a good read. I got a copy and will give it a chance. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a captivating medieval sword-and-sorcery fantasy adventure novel full of action, suspence, multiple POVs, and an amazing protagonist. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an excellent OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @SJ_Hartland on the BOTD.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like that the author has created characters that are flawed by making them neither good nor bad. I also like that each character's perspective is in the book. I think I will skip this, though, as I am not a big fantasy fan.Thanks for the great review!
Ayesha Emjedi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-emjedi.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Ayesha Emjedi »

To write a book that has many complex characters and to be able to do it so well, is a really challenging task, but by what is stated in this review it seems as though the author did justice to it. I really am fascinated by fantasy books and this one sounds like a good one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”