Official Review: The Last Village by R M Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: The Last Village by R M Hughes

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Village" by R M Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Village is a science fiction thriller by R M Hughes. Amharfarn is a tiny village on the North Wales coast occupied by fewer than 100 people. However, this little village has a far larger significance to the world. During a fierce electrical storm, a man dies at a compound embedded in the mountain overlooking Amharfarn. Next, Emily Norton arrives at a "safe house" in the village, greeted by Andy Lock, who uses coded phrases to verify her identity. All of the inhabitants of the house - Lock, Norton, Gwenda Evans, Banes, and Hardcastle - work for an organisation called Circus. But what is Circus? And what are these operatives doing at their compound in the mountain? Wyn and Mair Ellis, their nosy neighbours, would love to find out...

This book captured my attention immediately. The opening scene was beautifully worded, succinctly evoking a stormy night and multiple lightning strikes over the sleepy village. From this moment on, the scenes all seemed realistic, brought to life with vivid, colourful description. I got the sense that Hughes saw everything clearly in his mind as he described it. A good example later in the book was: "Fingers of light stretched from between the clouds, generating reflections from the wave-splashed masonry of the Amharfarn sea wall." There were many other examples of high-quality writing, verging on the literary, in The Last Village.

Hughes also used a strict version of the "show, don't tell" principle, which maintained the sense of mystery throughout the book. Unlike other fiction, I couldn't see inside the character's heads and hear their thoughts. Instead, I saw only what they saw, and learned only through the actions and dialogue of the characters. This mechanism fostered a strong sense of intrigue right from the beginning. I found myself keen to read on to know more about the compound in the mountain and what was really going on there. While The Last Village was a long book, I found it nicely paced. The mystery unravelled slowly at first before the pace quickened in the second half, where the science fiction aspect of this story really kicked into gear. I actually enjoyed the "cosy" feel of the first half, where I got to know some of the villagers before the more serious action began.

The book featured a large cast of characters, but, given its length, I got to know them all fairly well. It might have been nice to have some of the subplots - such as a potential romance between two of the younger characters - explored a little more; however, given the length of the book, I can understand why Hughes didn't. There was certainly plenty of main plot to cover without complicating it further. Some of the village locals were quite colourful. Ventriloquist Jack "threw his voice" - usually quite unintelligibly - for any visitor he met, lips almost unmoving, then pretended he had no idea who had spoken. This nice little gimmick added realism to his character.

The editing of this book was also exceptionally good. Overall, I was unable to find anything about the book that I really disliked. The Last Village was an excellent sci-fi thriller combined with a real spy element, boasting plenty of amazing technology and incredible events. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters, and the writing itself. Therefore, I have no hesitation in awarding it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to any fan of science fiction, especially those who enjoy well-written novels with a slow initial build-up to an epic conclusion.

The Last Village
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love when an author is able to paint a picture with their words. I wonder what Circus is? I guess I will have to read it to find out! Thanks for the wonderful review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Ventriloquist Jack sounds like quite a character. I could just see him up to his antics as I read your comments. Great review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It's been a while since I've read a book that doesn't include the character's thoughts. It would be interesting to see how this author does it :) I also like the idea of it being based in a town so small. Did it have a lot of the typical small town culture? Thanks for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nobody needs nosy neighbors! The author has created an interesting cast of characters. This sounds good and I am encouraged by your high rating. Thanks for a great review!
timmcdaniel1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by timmcdaniel1988 »

I really loved your synopsis of the book! I'm normally not into thrillers, sci fi or otherwise, but I might have to take a second look! Do you think the "show, don't tell" aspect worked for or against the first half of the book since it was a bit slower and focused on the character development?
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the high-tech setting of the plot. The description in characterization is also a positive aspect of the book. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

For me, I found the book to take a bit too long to get to the point of the story. It was too leisurely for me given the genre and what the book was about. Still enjoyable, but probably not one I would want to read again. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for your review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 15:10 I love when an author is able to paint a picture with their words. I wonder what Circus is? I guess I will have to read it to find out! Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thanks! Definitely some very good descriptive writing in this book, along with some well-drawn characters. I really enjoyed it.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Bluebird03 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 17:33 Ventriloquist Jack sounds like quite a character. I could just see him up to his antics as I read your comments. Great review!
Yeah, Ventriloquist Jack and other colourful characters like Wyn and Mair Ellis really made this book memorable for me. Plus the ending was quite spectacular. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Letora wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 07:02 It's been a while since I've read a book that doesn't include the character's thoughts. It would be interesting to see how this author does it :) I also like the idea of it being based in a town so small. Did it have a lot of the typical small town culture? Thanks for reviewing!
It was definitely a fairly close-knit community with most people knowing each other's business, which made for some logistical problems for those involved with Circus! Thanks for commenting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 11:28 Nobody needs nosy neighbors! The author has created an interesting cast of characters. This sounds good and I am encouraged by your high rating. Thanks for a great review!
Awesome alliteration! Though this book does have a slow build-up, the ending makes it all worthwhile. Thanks!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I've never actually heard a science fiction thriller described as cosy. I'm going to check this one out. Thank you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

timmcdaniel1988 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 18:05 I really loved your synopsis of the book! I'm normally not into thrillers, sci fi or otherwise, but I might have to take a second look! Do you think the "show, don't tell" aspect worked for or against the first half of the book since it was a bit slower and focused on the character development?
I didn't have any problem with the "show, don't tell" aspect in the first half of the book. The story events and characters were still intriguing, and the mystery of Circus and what they were up to drove the story forward for me. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Wyland wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 03:05 I like the high-tech setting of the plot. The description in characterization is also a positive aspect of the book. Nice review.
Yeah, definitely a very interesting book, both in technology and description. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”