Official Review: Battlecraft VR by Linden Storm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Re: Official Review: Battlecraft VR by Linden Storm

Post by Prisallen »

Like you, I'm really not into gaming, but your description of this book made me want to read this book. Thank you for a great review!
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

The synopsis sounds interesting! I'm not a gamer but I do love to know more about where this plot is heading too. Thank you for your valuable input!
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

I'm a big gamer - and this book seems like it's my cuppa tea! I love that the author concentrated on the characters, too.
Thanks for the recommendation and the awesome review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I'm not a gamer myself. So, this is like a completely different world to me. But, I'm interested in this book and the storyline sounds unique. I think this would be a great book. Thanks foe the amazing review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I absolutely must read this!! The gamer in me was hooked by your very first paragraph when you described the members of the team. And it's true! You never know who your team will end up being until you find that perfect combo that you want to stick with! Thanks for the review, I would have never found this one without it!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

This sounds like an interesting and unique plot. The highlight of the book seems to be the characters themselves. Thanks for a great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh videogames, what would we do without you? I like the focus on e-sports and the technological progress you mentioned, but it's the disappearance of their team's leader that has my interest piqued. Good review.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really well-constructed book! I like how it is set in the near future, and it seems like the author did a great job at world-building. Still, I hope that the author will take note of your suggestions for further character development. Thanks for the review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

nooregano wrote: 21 May 2019, 01:20 Well-developed characters are essentially the one thing I look for in a book, so this sounds like it would be a great, fun read.
Although there is nothing that I truly disliked about Battlecraft VR, I did find the theme of combatting prejudice to be a bit surface level. The good guys are enlightened, and the bad guys are bigots.
This is a bit unfortunate, and I don't like it when certain types of people are "otherised" by a fictional author. I personally don't think it's very responsible. I'm glad you liked the book so much, unamilagra. This was a fun review to read! :D
Yes, I wish the author had dug a little deeper in that area, or just left it out altogether. Thanks for stopping by!

TuyetMai wrote: 21 May 2019, 07:36
The Untouchables team consists of a mail-order bride facing deportation, a former foster kid with anger issues and a chip on her shoulder, a war veteran on parole, a Ph.D. candidate on the brink of dropping out, and the owner of a cannabis delivery service.
What a strange group. It would be interesting to see how they interact with each other. Thank you for the review.
It was a really fun bunch to read about. Thanks for your comment!

Prisallen wrote: 21 May 2019, 11:26 Like you, I'm really not into gaming, but your description of this book made me want to read this book. Thank you for a great review!
Thanks for commenting! I hope you decide to check it out.

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 21 May 2019, 22:20 The synopsis sounds interesting! I'm not a gamer but I do love to know more about where this plot is heading too. Thank you for your valuable input!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Niski wrote: 22 May 2019, 03:59 I'm a big gamer - and this book seems like it's my cuppa tea! I love that the author concentrated on the characters, too.
Thanks for the recommendation and the awesome review.
This would be a perfect fit for you! I hope you decide to check it out.
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 22 May 2019, 08:11 I'm not a gamer myself. So, this is like a completely different world to me. But, I'm interested in this book and the storyline sounds unique. I think this would be a great book. Thanks foe the amazing review.
I feel like this book has enough gaming to make it unique, but not so much that non-gamers lose interest. Thanks for stopping by!

Kelyn wrote: 22 May 2019, 22:47 I absolutely must read this!! The gamer in me was hooked by your very first paragraph when you described the members of the team. And it's true! You never know who your team will end up being until you find that perfect combo that you want to stick with! Thanks for the review, I would have never found this one without it!!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

Charlyt wrote: 23 May 2019, 00:36 This sounds like an interesting and unique plot. The highlight of the book seems to be the characters themselves. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, the characters were my favorite part. Thanks for your comment!

Nisha Ward wrote: 23 May 2019, 00:54 Oh videogames, what would we do without you? I like the focus on e-sports and the technological progress you mentioned, but it's the disappearance of their team's leader that has my interest piqued. Good review.
Thanks for your comment! I hope you decide to check it out.

gen_g wrote: 23 May 2019, 04:09 This sounds like a really well-constructed book! I like how it is set in the near future, and it seems like the author did a great job at world-building. Still, I hope that the author will take note of your suggestions for further character development. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting. I think the book would have been great without trying to tackle the prejudice issue at all, it had enough going on.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The smart shirts, scannable implanted chips and self-driving cars sound like an intriguing world. It's just disappointing to imagine that the same issues of today cannot seem to be resolved in this imaginary world. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review! Great job.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I wouldn't mind a self-cleaning smart shirt that also monitors my social media account,Now! sounds like a very engrossing book. I love character development, and fast action, so I guess I will be picking up this one. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I'm already intrigued with your synopsis. It reminded me of Six of Crows. It's sad that, even a fictional book set in the future has to deal with issues like sexism and racism. Only shows how far we are from abolishing it. Great review.
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Bluebird03 wrote: 23 May 2019, 09:13 The smart shirts, scannable implanted chips and self-driving cars sound like an intriguing world. It's just disappointing to imagine that the same issues of today cannot seem to be resolved in this imaginary world. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review! Great job.
Thanks for commenting!

Cotwani wrote: 23 May 2019, 13:40 I wouldn't mind a self-cleaning smart shirt that also monitors my social media account,Now! sounds like a very engrossing book. I love character development, and fast action, so I guess I will be picking up this one. Great review!
I know, right? Even just self-cleaning would make my life much easier. Thanks for your comment, and I hope you enjoy the book!

Fuzaila wrote: 24 May 2019, 03:41 I'm already intrigued with your synopsis. It reminded me of Six of Crows. It's sad that, even a fictional book set in the future has to deal with issues like sexism and racism. Only shows how far we are from abolishing it. Great review.
Yes, it's sad, but unfortunately realistic. Thank you for your comment!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

A gaming book? Sounds very interesting. As for your review, i honestly loved your first paragraph;straight and dirrect to the point! Thanks for the great review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”