Official Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Enif" by Russ Berg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A struggling geologist, Jerry Humphreys, takes on a friend’s dare to visit a mysterious area where hikers have disappeared, in hopes of finding a source for thermal energy. This finding would enable him to provide for his true love and fiancée Mandy. Enif by Russ Berg is a sci-fi/fantasy story of Jerry’s exploration inside a cave he finds. In the cave, he comes across new worlds and meets Julean, who tells him that there are seven chambers. If Jerry can get through the passageways and open all of the seals, he will be able to go to a celestial body, Enif, which is in the Pegasus constellation. Enif is a dream-like place offering a life free of all needs and wants with no limits to imagination.

Jerry meets all kinds of beings that either help him or try to defeat him on his journey. Andromeda is a beautiful woman who makes him forget all about Mandy and causes Jerry to fall in love with her. Will Jerry conquer his fears, self-doubts, and the challenges in the cave and become transformed, enabling him to live on the planet Enif? Will he see Mandy again?

I best liked the different cavern worlds and challenges that Jerry had to get through by his solving riddles and using the gifts given to him from others to defeat the beasts and monsters blocking the seals and passageways. One example was a flower that allowed Jerry, if eaten, to be invisible for a short time. The special powers that helped Jerry to succeed were fun and imaginative. I also liked that the author used a lot of cave terms and descriptions of the rock formations and flora. There was a mixture of reality and fantasy in the cave.

There was not anything that I did not like about the book. If I had to mention something I liked least, it would be that the book (a little over 500 pages) seemed quite long, and the dangers and action hardly ever stopped! However, I think the author wrote in such a way as to make it seem like I was feeling Jerry’s loss of time and tiredness of always having to be alert for dangers.

I rate Enif by Russ Berg 4 out of 4 stars. The story of Jerry’s dangerous adventures through the cave with the many interesting characters, plenty of action, and different worlds earn no less than a four-star rating. The book was extremely well edited, as I found only a few minor errors.

This story reminds me of action-adventure video games that have different levels to beat, obstacles to conquer, beasts to fight, and the need for power-ups. Therefore, those who enjoy playing these kinds of games may like this book the most. Young adults and older children would also enjoy reading this book, as there were no curse words, sex scenes, nor gory details of any deaths. This book may not appeal to young girls as much as to boys since the main character Jerry has to do a lot of fighting.

Enif
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

What a unique and creative idea for a story! I especially liked the idea of a flower that makes people invisible. I feel sorry for poor Mandy, though. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can see why this one reminds you of a video game with the different levels and gifts to beat other levels. It sounds quite interesting. I'm wondering how it all comes together. I think I'll put it on my to be read list! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

Your review has shown the area of the book that is more interesting; where Jerry plans to go through several stages to find a new planet.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

So does each of the seven portals lead to another planet? And by exploring each you get a seal. You are right, it does sound like a video game.
But Mandy could not have been his true love if he fell in love with someone else.
amjohnson13
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The passage through the seven chambers to reach the promised life would appeal to young adults. This would be an easy story for readers to imagine as they read. I wonder if the length would be an obstacle for this age group?
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

amjohnson13mommy wrote: 14 May 2019, 13:46 So does each of the seven portals lead to another planet? And by exploring each you get a seal. You are right, it does sound like a video game.
But Mandy could not have been his true love if he fell in love with someone else.
No, Jerry has to get through all seven seals to be able to go to Enif. However, each chamber is a different scene. You may want to read the book to see how Jerry fell in love with Andromeda.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds like a combination of dungeon crawling a la Dungeons and Dragons and the Odyssey. In other words, extremely fun in a gaming sort of way and very imaginative. The length isn't ideal, but I don't think it would be a deterrent to fans of the genre either. Very good review, thank you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Jerry and Mandy seem to be quite the stars in Enif. Adventures can go wrong in so many ways, but Russ Berg seems to have done this one justice. Such a detailed and interesting review you have here!
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the challenges that Jerry must go through to reach the celestial body, Enif. It’s more akin with how life is structured. Thanks for a thorough review.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

This seems a bit too fantasy and gaming oriented for my liking, unfortunately. Good review, though!
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Thank you for clarifying. Guess I will have to read the book since your reply made me more curious.
Thank you for answering my questions.
amjohnson13
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

Wow, sounds like a version of Mario Bros. If the story is good enough, I don't mind if it is long. Sounds like a book I would suggest to my son as he loves stories with fighting and challenges. Thank you for your review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

LV2R wrote: 15 May 2019, 06:42
amjohnson13mommy wrote: 14 May 2019, 13:46 So does each of the seven portals lead to another planet? And by exploring each you get a seal. You are right, it does sound like a video game.
No, Jerry has to get through all seven seals to be able to go to Enif. However, each chamber is a different scene. You may want to read the book to see how Jerry fell in love with Andromeda.
I really want to read this! It seems to be a very unusual book.
Thanks for the review.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Jerry meets all kinds of beings that either help him or try to defeat him on his journey. Andromeda is a beautiful woman who makes him forget all about Mandy and causes Jerry to fall in love with her.
If so, then Jerry isn't a man worth respecting. Thank you for your review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”