Official Review: The Descent of the Phoenix

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
diaaoo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Descent of the Phoenix

Post by diaaoo »

I just started reading on kindle and am a few chapters in.I really haven't seen any errors, so I'm not sure if the author corrected them or if it's just been updated since it was independently published, but I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully there aren't many because I am enjoying the story and don't want to be distracted by a bunch of typos.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

diaaoo wrote: 10 May 2019, 13:05 I just started reading on kindle and am a few chapters in.I really haven't seen any errors, so I'm not sure if the author corrected them or if it's just been updated since it was independently published, but I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully there aren't many because I am enjoying the story and don't want to be distracted by a bunch of typos.
Hopefully the errors are fixed in your version. It's a fun story, so I hope you enjoy it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

It seems Aschyllia and her best friend, Bleak, are yet to go through alot due to their act of kindness. I'm happy, though, they have overcome the first one. Your review has just heightened my curiosity in this one. Thank you for this wonderful review!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

There is one significant drawback to the novel, however - the editing. I don't believe the book was proofread by a professional, much less edited.
This book seems to have character development, good description, and a well-paced plot. I'm sure it would be a desirable choice of a YA book if it were edited. :doh: Nice review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Fazzier wrote: 10 May 2019, 22:58 It seems Aschyllia and her best friend, Bleak, are yet to go through alot due to their act of kindness. I'm happy, though, they have overcome the first one. Your review has just heightened my curiosity in this one. Thank you for this wonderful review!
It was an enjoyable read; it would be more so if it were edited properly. Still, if you can overlook that, it's worth picking up. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 11 May 2019, 14:30
There is one significant drawback to the novel, however - the editing. I don't believe the book was proofread by a professional, much less edited.
This book seems to have character development, good description, and a well-paced plot. I'm sure it would be a desirable choice of a YA book if it were edited. :doh: Nice review!
It's a good book in all aspects other than editing. Hopefully the author will fix that. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

This book captures my desire to go on a fantastic adventure while reading. The characters and setting of the story let's the reader place themselves in the story.

Great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Quickstudy wrote: 12 May 2019, 20:03 This book captures my desire to go on a fantastic adventure while reading. The characters and setting of the story let's the reader place themselves in the story.

Great review.
If you like adventures, this one is probably for you. If you do decide to read it, I hope you enjoy. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I, too, enjoy a book when the principal characters feel like family and the secondary ones are not overwhelming. It's such a shame about the editing. Thank you, kandscreeley, for another engaging and lovely review!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I'd normally allude a phoenix to something extraordinary and supernatural. Thus, it's a surprise that this fictional piece doesn't have a full-on Gandalf-like "rise from the ashes" mystical phenomenon, although a metaphorical significance closer to hope would still be a good element. Thank you for your honest and thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bluebird03 wrote: 13 May 2019, 20:05 I, too, enjoy a book when the principal characters feel like family and the secondary ones are not overwhelming. It's such a shame about the editing. Thank you, kandscreeley, for another engaging and lovely review!
This would be a good fit for you then. It definitely felt like I was a part of their lives. The errors were a bit overwhelming, though.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Espie wrote: 13 May 2019, 21:16 I'd normally allude a phoenix to something extraordinary and supernatural. Thus, it's a surprise that this fictional piece doesn't have a full-on Gandalf-like "rise from the ashes" mystical phenomenon, although a metaphorical significance closer to hope would still be a good element. Thank you for your honest and thorough review.
No, but there is a reason for the title. I don't want to tell you what it is because it might spoil things for you. But, rest assured, it does have a purpose. :) Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It sucks that the book wasn't well edited. That can definitely take you out of the story and this one sounded like it would have been a pretty fun read otherwise.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nisha Ward wrote: 15 May 2019, 07:26 It sucks that the book wasn't well edited. That can definitely take you out of the story and this one sounded like it would have been a pretty fun read otherwise.
Very true. It's easier, though, to edit a good story than to try to rewrite a bad story. So, hopefully the author can get this fixed quickly. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

I think this one will go on my to-read shelf, despite the errors. This premise seems right up my alley, and with such pronounced character development, I can't go wrong.
Thank you for your review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”