Official Review: The Rhine by R.L. Dean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Rhine by R.L. Dean

Post by spencermack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rhine" by R.L. Dean.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Rhine is a science fiction adventure written by R.L. Dean. Factory workers are rebelling against their superiors, vowing to get safer work conditions. The corporate elite is busy scheming to get around UN law, even if it means teaming with a band of Martian terrorists with their own agenda. From space pirates to shady backroom deals, The Rhine is an action-packed story, written in smooth prose and keeps the reader questioning each character’s motivations.

The best part of this story is how Dean reflects historical events in his futuristic plot. Throughout the story, I am reminded of the industrial revolution and the speed at which technology advanced. Dean also hints towards how the earth will collapse if we continue to treat the environment the way we do. Climate change and pollution is not a key aspect of this story, the characters are not concerned with it at all. The corporate elite of the story will do anything to make another dollar. Dean has done a brilliant job connecting his story to human history as well as current events. However, I did not like the inconsistencies of the characters. Many characters are introduced as a certain type of person but their actions seem to turn on a dime and they display vastly different characteristics. Many of these changes are beneficial to the plot but some are unnecessary and cause confusion to the reader. Dean could also use another round of professional editing as I did find many simple errors in spelling and grammar.

Dean has clearly made a stand on how people will behave to make more money. Even going against their own morals and message to secure their own future. Many characters in the story will die for their cause believing they are in the right and Dean does an excellent job at showing both sides of the conflict. A concept that seems to be lost in western news.

I recommend socially conscious people and fans of science fiction pick this book up immediately. The plot if appropriate and easy to follow making it accessible to young adult readers. You will be entertained from beginning to end.

I am rating The Rhine 3 out of 4 stars. R.L. Dean has created a fun adventure and a thought-provoking reflection on society. Dean’s connections and ideas are brilliant and I will gladly give this book 4 out of 4 when the character inconsistencies and spelling mistakes are improved.

The Rhine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like spencermack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Spencer Mack
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

That is a very sad, but true, reflection on today's society. And I also agree with your comment about the western news. Thank you for a very thorough and informative review. Great job!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Huh, this sounds like exactly the kind of sci-fi I would be interested in. Politics, corporations, unions...you don't see enough of those anymore.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very interesting read. I like that the author included some important issues that need to be discussed more in our modern world, but in a subtle way. A shame about the characterisation, as that is such an important part of the story. Seems like a very promising story though! Your review has intrigued me, and I might just add this to my bookshelf. Thanks for your great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a captivating science fiction novel. I hope the author gets the errors fixed soon. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Sounds like a thought provoking read :) Thanks for reviewing! A bit too political for me, but it sounds like a good story for those you recommended.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Such a short yet insightful review! I like books that make you rethink about your perspectives, especially about society. Thanks for this review :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

I like action-packed sci-fi tales.

"Factory workers are rebelling against their superiors, vowing to get safer work conditions."

I could relate to this story because I am a factory worker. I would like to read this book and find out what happens to the factory workers, their superiors, and their factory business as a whole.

I hope the errors are already corrected by now.
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Bluebird03 wrote: 05 May 2019, 16:28 That is a very sad, but true, reflection on today's society. And I also agree with your comment about the western news. Thank you for a very thorough and informative review. Great job!
I appreciate your comment! Western news can be a tricky bit of media!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Nisha Ward wrote: 05 May 2019, 20:21 Huh, this sounds like exactly the kind of sci-fi I would be interested in. Politics, corporations, unions...you don't see enough of those anymore.
That's true! Thanks for your comment!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Meg98 wrote: 05 May 2019, 21:30 This sounds like a very interesting read. I like that the author included some important issues that need to be discussed more in our modern world, but in a subtle way. A shame about the characterisation, as that is such an important part of the story. Seems like a very promising story though! Your review has intrigued me, and I might just add this to my bookshelf. Thanks for your great review!
The best SciFi always brings a common world into it. Thanks for your comment!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Prisallen wrote: 06 May 2019, 07:34 This sounds like a captivating science fiction novel. I hope the author gets the errors fixed soon. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thanks for the wonderful comment!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Letora wrote: 16 May 2019, 06:29 Sounds like a thought provoking read :) Thanks for reviewing! A bit too political for me, but it sounds like a good story for those you recommended.
Thanks for the commenT!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

briellejee wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 09:26 Such a short yet insightful review! I like books that make you rethink about your perspectives, especially about society. Thanks for this review :tiphat:
It will definitely make you think! Thanks for the comment!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

supernatural143 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 21:38 I like action-packed sci-fi tales.

"Factory workers are rebelling against their superiors, vowing to get safer work conditions."

I could relate to this story because I am a factory worker. I would like to read this book and find out what happens to the factory workers, their superiors, and their factory business as a whole.

I hope the errors are already corrected by now.
I think you'll enjoy it if you get the chance! tHANKS FOR THE COMMENT!
Spencer Mack

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”