Official Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Korian" by Giorgio Garofalo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Manian's Spear is Book 1 of the fantasy series Korian by Giorgio Garofalo. Endura is a planet much like Earth, shared by humans, Ruids ("firstlings"), and many mythical creatures. The relaxed, tranquil firstlings are indigenous to Endura, having lived there long before humans. Doric is a firstling who lives with his father in the town of Brackens. At the age of six, he walks alone into the forbidden zone in Rivermead Forest to meet his friend, Thane, who suddenly disappears in a whirling mass of leaves. A skine, a huge flying predator, attacks Doric, breaking his arm and snapping his neck. But Doric has incredible healing powers. He recovers, making a new "imaginary friend," Crogan, whom he speaks to with his mind, much to the concern of his father. However, Crogan isn't imaginary, and Doric has a much larger purpose than he knows... Adam Hades - once a prominent and respected advisor to Endura's first king, Zoren Ro - was an evil man who was eventually bested in battle by Zoren, his spirit banished from the kingdom. But a darkness has been slowly rising across the land, spawned by Adam's son Aaron and his followers, an army of "stragoy" - walking corpses - and mysterious matchra trees which are not as benign as the firstlings believe...

Garofalo featured several pages of Endura's history at the start of the book, including much useful prefatory information for the reader. Though it was a slow way to start the book, I would have been a bit lost in this strange new world without it. His writing style throughout the book was neat, concise, and easy to read. The descriptive writing was of high quality; for example: "The exquisite linen, held moments ago in the delicate hand of the mysterious woman, settled gently onto the surface of the river." As with all good fantasy writers, his imagination was impressive, and I got the sense he clearly saw all the scenes and settings in his mind while describing them.

The character development was solid, with character histories fleshed out nicely without overdoing the detail. The author explored relationships similarly, always in the course of advancing the plot. The story always moved at a decent pace, never stagnating or becoming boring. Overall, I found the narrative highly entertaining, filled with action and conflict. It spanned many years and included some of the history and mythology of Endura, largely retold to Doric by his new friend, Oren, during a period of incarceration by the enemy. Many situations the characters got into seemed inescapable, almost impossible to survive, which pushed me to keep reading. The climactic scenes were grand in their scale and ferocity, and a clever revelation at the end definitely hooked me for future books in this series.

On the negative side, this book still needed further editing. The author often omitted or misused commas; for example: "A faint, sound came from somewhere..." He occasionally switched back and forth between past and present tense, with some sentences worded a little awkwardly, such as: "The impact fractured its jaw and what little cartilage remained of its nose, shattered completely." There were also a few incorrect words used, such as "lightening" for "lightning" and "pours" for "pores". One example that annoyed me repeatedly was "taught" used in place of "taut", since the first means someone gaining knowledge from a teacher; the second means stretched or pulled tight.

Overall, however, I found The Manian's Spear, Book 1 of the Korian series, a highly entertaining fantasy novel. I enjoyed the characters, the action, and the insidious nature of the evil force pervading the planet of Endura. The only problem for me was the editing. For this reason, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to any reader who enjoys dark fantasy novels, especially fans of The Lord of the Rings.

Korian
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely sounds like the author has made up a whole new world; with so many new terms and names, without some kind of introduction, it would be horribly difficult to follow. So the slow beginning makes sense. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Descriptive styles and good character development mean a lot to me. This sounds good. It's one I'll have to keep in mind. Thanks for a very thorough review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

The author seems to be quite the world-builder. I like your review, and if you're right about this being like The Lord of the Rings, then I shall definitely give it a try.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I do love exploring new fantasy worlds and would definitely give this book a try. Really sorry that it lacks some proper editing. Great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed the quote you shared to show the level of descriptive writing used by the author. That is an important quality for the reader to be able to meld into the new world being described. I enjoyed your comments about this book. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 07:06 It definitely sounds like the author has made up a whole new world; with so many new terms and names, without some kind of introduction, it would be horribly difficult to follow. So the slow beginning makes sense. Thanks for a great review.
I certainly enjoyed the world of Endura more once I knew a bit more about it. Very entertaining story. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 14:11 Descriptive styles and good character development mean a lot to me. This sounds good. It's one I'll have to keep in mind. Thanks for a very thorough review.
Yeah, good descriptive writing and strong characters go a long way to making a fantasy novel nicely immersive. A reader getting lost in the story is a good measure of success for the author. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 03:06 The author seems to be quite the world-builder. I like your review, and if you're right about this being like The Lord of the Rings, then I shall definitely give it a try.
It has a definite similarity to Tolkien, mainly in scale, and the gathering of dark forces working to overthrow ordinary people and spread across the land. Thanks for commenting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Ellylion wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:34 I do love exploring new fantasy worlds and would definitely give this book a try. Really sorry that it lacks some proper editing. Great review!
Thanks! This is a great fantasy book; it just needs one decent edit.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:54 I really enjoyed the quote you shared to show the level of descriptive writing used by the author. That is an important quality for the reader to be able to meld into the new world being described. I enjoyed your comments about this book. Thanks.
Thanks! I usually try to pick out at least one sample of really good writing if something stands out to me. It certainly helps with my enjoyment of a book.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Well, I am definitely a fan of The Lord of the Rings and the dark fantasy genre, so I feel that I would enjoy this book! Garofalo sounds like an author with a great deal of imaginative scope which he infuses liberally into his writing. I really liked how you included examples of the author's prose in your review to illustrate your points. The plot of The Manian's Spear does sound very typical of the fantasy genre, but I get the feeling from your comments that Garofalo has inserted his own personal spice into the mix. Thanks so much for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
TripToAfter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triptoafter.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by TripToAfter »

Such a shame about all the errors. It’s like a gnat landing on a glistening fresh baked pie, going to spoil it. But this sounds like something worth the read. I like fantasy novels very much, especially when they’re complex and involved. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Find a fluffy corner somewhere and stick yourself there for a while. Don't forget to bring entertainment, preferably something with pages. And words. :wink:
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I think I would enjoy the world building by the author. Nice review.
Larkspur
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Larkspur »

I have already read this book and when I came across this review I just had to read it. Great review of descriptions and storyline. Brings back memories

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”