Official Review: Blocks II by Tara Basi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Blocks II by Tara Basi

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blocks II" by Tara Basi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stories are like food. There are short tales that are similar to snacks. Then there are yarns that are nice to read but mostly like breakfast cereal: good but nothing to write home to mama about. I would guess that many books fall into the meatloaf and mashed potatoes category: a great meal that is satisfactory or fulfilling but still not the top of the food chain, no pun intended. And then there are the books that are the filet mignon and sauteed mushrooms with wine sauce of the literary world. Blocks II definitely belongs in the last category. I savored every minute during my read, inhaling each morsel before slowly chewing and ingesting each succulent piece.

Written by Tara Basi, Blocks II continues where Blocks left off. Mina, Tress, Battery Boy, Stuff, Jugger, and Pinkie have all safely escaped from Block Seven, but the gang is not content to be free. There are still millions, if not billions, of people left in the huge cubes, and the group wants to rescue their fellow humans and vanquish the aliens that put them in bondage. Unfortunately, the Owners (author's capitalization) have arrived, and they are not happy. Along with computer system Trinity, can the sextet free the captives while also avoiding capture and possibly death?

Sequels have a bad reputation, but just like with book one, I could scarcely put this tome down. It started off a little slower than the first tale, but I was completely immersed by the third page. From there, things only got better. The twists and turns and dips and corkscrews often made me feel like I was back on one of my favorite amusement park rides, the roller coaster, to the point that I almost threw my hands up in the air and screamed.

As exciting as the book was, though, it also caused me to think more than book one had. I was reading it and enjoying it for the story it is, when the following passage struck me:
..."the purpose of the empire?” “To gather unto the Vigilance all the races of the Prime in the galaxy and to purge the galaxy of non-Prime races. This is the galaxy of the Vigilance, given to us, the chosen, by the gods. Until this goal is achieved and the home world of the Prime found and venerated, we cannot rest.”
It was at that moment that I realized that this tome may very well be an allegory. The quoted words sounded a lot like something Hitler may have said, and it made me view the characters, both good and bad, in a whole new light.

The worlds that Basi built were also astounding. I was especially captivated with the aliens' world, and the description of Rung One in their version of a living hell sent shudders down my spine. The fact that Tara was not content to keep the action to the locations described in the first book made my spirit soar, as I constantly had new places to imagine and mentally explore. At the same time, the new venues weren't so different that I had trouble picturing anything. Describing somewhere new and fantastic without losing the audience is a fine line, and the author walked it perfectly. The same could be said of the advanced technology used in the story, though I did have to read a few passages more than once to make sure that I grasped a particular concept.

I was quite pleased to meet new characters as well. Eva, who started out as a brain-dead Tuned - a "mouthpiece of the gods" - was both fascinating and scary. I really looked forward to her scenes because I really wanted to know what she'd say and do next. High Priest Truculent and Inquisitor Harder were interesting antagonists too; they looked mostly human but were a lot more advanced and snooty, referring to people as chickens to be farmed. Tippese, a Block Boss introduced in book one, was also back for the ride, and he never failed to make me shake my head, both in shock and in horror. Of the original crew, I still related to Stuff the most because he tended to be the most easily frightened and worried, but I also loved Trinity, who was as abrasive and unfiltered as ever. I would love to read a spin-off book starring the computer system. Jugger and Pinkie, two characters who had turned me off in the original book, had matured and didn't grate on my nerves quite as much.

As with book one, I loved the author's voice; the factual tone was perfectly suited for the story, and Basi did a splendid job in showing rather than just telling. Additionally, there were less than a handful of grammatical errors in the tome, so I do believe that the book was edited professionally.

I am ecstatic to give the second book of this trio 4 out of 4 stars and an A+ to boot. I honestly cannot praise it enough. I highly recommend Blocks II to fans of dystopian or post-apocalyptic stories as well as readers who enjoy science fiction. I also caution potential readers that the tome does end on a cliffhanger, so you must be prepared to see the story to the end by picking up book three, as I plan to do. You'll also want to read the original story, as this book is definitely not a standalone tale, and you will be confused if you try to start with this one. Some backstory is given, but the tale is so complex that you simply cannot skip the precursor.

In summation, I'll partly quote my first review in saying, "I felt that Basi did an excellent job [adding to] the building blocks...[which started out] a great series, a series that I intend to finish."

Blocks II
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read another book by Ms. Basi. She is a skilled writer that does make you stop to think about things. I think that's one reason she writes. This sounds lovely. I need to get the first one and this as well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Haha, your introduction got me with all the food yumm! Great review. I'm glad you loved the sequel too.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 07:08 I've read another book by Ms. Basi. She is a skilled writer that does make you stop to think about things. I think that's one reason she writes. This sounds lovely. I need to get the first one and this as well. Thanks.
I think I remember you commenting about that on my first review; was it Orbs? In any event, once I've finished this trinity, I think I'll look into more of her work; she's very skilled, indeed.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

Your analogies in the first paragraph were delightful. This sounds like a very imaginative book that offers its readers a great adventure into a very interesting world. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Your review sounds mesmerizing, but I prefer to not read books that end on cliffhangers or that you don't understand unless you read a preceding book. Thanks for a wonderful review, though!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This series sort of sounds like one I just reviewed. It is always delightful to read a captivating, unconventional tale that makes you think. Thanks for the lovely review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I always enjoy reading your reviews and this one is no different. I love post-apocalyptic stories where the characters have to overcome something, so this sounds right up my alley. I've already looked it up on Amazon and this series happens to be available on Kindle Unlimited. Can't wait to read it!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your stunning description makes this series seem quite tantalizing. I love books that keep you reading and thinking. I'll have to look into this series. This might be an author to follow. Thanks.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Your food analogy not only made me hungry, it also made me want to pick up this series! It sounds like the author is a skilled writer, and this genre is right up my alley. I'm definitely adding this to my "to read" list. Thanks - I love your review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Love your introduction! You're so right!
I usually don't go for sci-fi books but the connection you made with eugenics is intriguing, and your enthusiasm is truly contagious. I'll read the first installment, first, though. Thank you!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Quite palatable! I do hope this piece could satiate far beyond and quite more than what fine dining could reach. Thank you for a well-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Battery Boy is my favourite so anything that involves him is a great thing to me. That there's so much more to explore has me excited. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”