Official Review: The Witch by Mistake by Anna Brusha

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Witch by Mistake by Anna Brusha

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witch by Mistake" by Anna Brusha.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maya is having a bad day. First, her boss fires her. Then, she ends up talking to a stranger in a park who she's afraid is a maniac. He makes her try to remove this odd bracelet; when she can't, he makes her promise that she will as soon as she has enough knowledge. He encourages her to sleep, and next thing she knows, she wakes up in a foreign land.

It's in this new land that she learns she is a witch (yes with real magical powers). When the authorities are finally sure that she is who she says she is, they release her to a magical school where she can learn more about her abilities. However, she's still bound to this demon, and the only way she can return to her land is to remove his bracelet. Will she, in fact, be able to keep her promise and return to her world?

The Witch by Mistake is a science fiction novel by Anna Brusha. It consists of around 230 pages. There are some adult situations, but the novel would still be appropriate for high school age to adults.

My favorite part of this book was the new world that Ms. Brusha created. It isn't too long into the story before Maya is transported to this magical world where there are demons, witches, and demon hunters. The world is solidly built, and I had fun figuring it out right along with Maya. One of the fun aspects of this new world was a celebration called the Day of Power. During this festival, each of the fountains in the city had a different "potion" you could drink from. It sounded like something I wanted to be part of.

The world Maya finds herself in is quite different from her home in Moscow. As such, there was vocabulary that was unfamiliar. Some of the words are explained in the course of the story (as Maya has trouble understanding them as well). However, there were still many that I couldn't quite wrap my head around; I'm not sure, though, if that was due to the fact that these were made up words or if they were Russian words that were not translated. For example, Wiedzmina seems to be a term of respect for certain witches. Also, Veda is used, and it appears to indicate the person is a teacher. Though I think these are right, I was never certain. The book would benefit from a glossary of terms, so that the reader can be sure of the definitions for the strange words.

I loved the overall premise of the novel, and the quick pace kept me engaged. The story is told in the first person; therefore, it's almost like living the story with the protagonist. When she struggled, I struggled. I was able to easily empathize with her.

Having said that, there were a few small pieces of the story here and there that didn't quite seem to make sense. For example, Michael Kotik, a demon hunter in the strange land, was suddenly called Kitty, and I was never sure where that came from. There were tiny details like this throughout the story that could have been incorporated better. However, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the novel too much.

I give The Witch by Mistake 3 out of 4 stars. I loved Maya; she was an intriguing character to follow along with (and her luck reminded me of my misfortune). The story has a quick pace that was quite engaging, and the world building was stellar. I just felt that the addition of a glossary would have been beneficial. Also, a few of the details could have been integrated into the story more thoroughly, in order to avoid confusion. I do recommend this, though, to anyone that enjoys magical worlds, unfortunate circumstances, and an undercurrent of romance.

The Witch by Mistake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Based on your emphasis on the world building, you must have found it thoroughly impressive. That's an awesome attribute in a fantasy book. I am also a fan of festivals, fictional or otherwise, and the potion fountains sound amazing. I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks for the descriptive review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 13:32 Based on your emphasis on the world building, you must have found it thoroughly impressive. That's an awesome attribute in a fantasy book. I am also a fan of festivals, fictional or otherwise, and the potion fountains sound amazing. I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks for the descriptive review.
Yes. I definitely found it to be an interesting world. It's one I would want to visit. Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Is this book translated from Russian? In Russia, many authors (mostly women) write about magical academies and brilliant young witches. There are so many of these books that Russians have already started writing parodies about brilliant witches.

"However, there were still many that I couldn't quite wrap my head around; I'm not sure, though, if that was due to the fact that these were made up words or if they were Russian words that were not translated. For example, Wiedzmina seems to be a term of respect for certain witches. Also, Veda is used, and it appears to indicate the person is a teacher. "

"Wiedzmin" is Polish world for male witch or warlock. In Andrzej Sapkowski's books, this is the name for people who fight monsters and protect humans. Andrzej Sapkowski's books are very popular in Russia. So, this Аnna Brusha borrowed this term from the book of Andrzej Sapkowski and turned it into a word for female witch.
In Slavic languages, the vowel sound at the end of some words turns them into feminitives. So, this is a made-up Polish/Russian word. The real word for the witch in Russian is "ved'ma".

The word "Veda" is actually a very ancient Russian name. It comes from the very ancient word "vedat'", which means "to know." So, it may be a good term for a teacher. Nowadays, this word has disappeared from the Russian language.The modern word for " to know" is "znat'". However, it is still used in the Belarusian language, because this language is more archaic than Russian. So, "Veda" is a very ancient name turned into a term for a teacher.

Thus, both words are not real Russian words.
Last edited by SunVixen on 15 Apr 2019, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like an exciting book, but it's too bad that some pieces of information were missing from the book.

Great review!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Sorry, I forgot to write about it!

"Having said that, there were a few small pieces of the story here and there that didn't quite seem to make sense. For example, Michael Kotik, a demon hunter in the strange land, was suddenly called Kitty, and I was never sure where that came from."

The word "kot" in Russian means "cat", and the word "kotik" means "my little cat" or "my dear cat". The surname of this demon hunter meant almost a “kitten”. Therefore, he was given the nickname "Kitty". In Russian, it looks like a very funny joke.

The word "kotik" does not apply only to cats. This is also word for young children or pretty girls. In this book, "kotik" is the surname of a demon hunter. :lol:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SunVixen wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 14:12 Is this book translated from Russian? In Russia, many authors (mostly women) write about magical academies and brilliant young witches. There are so many of these books that Russians have already started writing parodies about brilliant witches.

"However, there were still many that I couldn't quite wrap my head around; I'm not sure, though, if that was due to the fact that these were made up words or if they were Russian words that were not translated. For example, Wiedzmina seems to be a term of respect for certain witches. Also, Veda is used, and it appears to indicate the person is a teacher. "

"Wiedzmin" is Polish world for male witch or warlock. In Andrzej Sapkowski's books, this is the name for people who fight monsters and protect humans. Andrzej Sapkowski's books are very popular in Russia. So, this Аnna Brusha borrowed this term from the book of Andrzej Sapkowski and turned it into a word for female witch.
In Slavic languages, the vowel sound at the end of some words turns them into feminitives. So, this is a made-up Polish/Russian word. The real word for the witch in Russian is "ved'ma".

The word "Veda" is actually a very ancient Russian name. It comes from the very ancient word "vedat'", which means "to know." So, it may be a good term for a teacher. Nowadays, this word has disappeared from the Russian language.The modern word for " to know" is "znat'". However, it is still used in the Belarusian language, because this language is more archaic than Russian. So, "Veda" is a very ancient name turned into a term for a teacher.

Thus, both words are not real Russian words.
Thanks for the information. That's actually quite interesting. Brusha does sound somewhat Russian, so I suppose this is all very possible. At least I know I was somewhat close in my assessment of the words!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SunVixen wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 14:55 Sorry, I forgot to write about it!

"Having said that, there were a few small pieces of the story here and there that didn't quite seem to make sense. For example, Michael Kotik, a demon hunter in the strange land, was suddenly called Kitty, and I was never sure where that came from."

The word "kot" in Russian means "cat", and the word "kotik" means "my little cat" or "my dear cat". The surname of this demon hunter meant almost a “kitten”. Therefore, he was given the nickname "Kitty". In Russian, it looks like a very funny joke.

The word "kotik" does not apply only to cats. This is also word for young children or pretty girls. In this book, "kotik" is the surname of a demon hunter. :lol:
It looks like YOU should have read the book! All the nuances that I missed! I guess that one was related to the language issue as well!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 14:33 Sounds like an exciting book, but it's too bad that some pieces of information were missing from the book.

Great review!
Well, apparently, it would be enjoyed more if you were familiar with Russian terms. Having said that, I still enjoyed the book. :)
—Neil Gaiman
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

I'm a fan of fantasy and this sounds like something that might attract my interest. Sounds a little like a cross between the Narnia books and Harry Potter. Great review.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Thank you for a great review. Those translations might be obscure, even for a native. Sounds like great fantasy writing.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is always amazing when the author is able to draw you into the story like you have described. And now that we understand the background behind some of the words, we will enjoy it even more. Great review. Thanks.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an interesting book for fantasy lovers :) Of course, you are right, the glossary should have been added for those not familiar with Russian or Polish language. I love exploring new fantasy worlds, so I would give this book a try :) Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bigscarythingy wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 20:22 I'm a fan of fantasy and this sounds like something that might attract my interest. Sounds a little like a cross between the Narnia books and Harry Potter. Great review.
It sort of is, but the main character is a bit older than in either of those books. It was interesting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dragonsend wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 20:38 Thank you for a great review. Those translations might be obscure, even for a native. Sounds like great fantasy writing.
I believe I would have gotten a bit more out of the book if I had truly understood the words and where they came from. Still, it was fun to read. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”