Official Review: Joe Meets Saquatch & Nanobots

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: Joe Meets Saquatch & Nanobots

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Joe Meets Saquatch & Nanobots" by Don Slaymaker.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joe Meets Sasquatch & Nanobots by Don Slaymaker tells of Joe who is befriended by a Sasquatch shaman called Sam. Sam performs a blood transfusion to save Joe’s life, which introduces nanobots into Joe’s system. With the nanobots comes increased health and the art of teleportation. Telepathy is also included but is linked to the genetic makeup of the individual. The book also includes three very short, anecdotal stories: ’Revenge’, ‘The Case of The Oily Pump’, and ‘Now You See ‘em, Now You Don’t’. They are respectively: a boy seeking revenge on a college tutor, a job made more difficult than it should be, and a man justifying his viewgraph (overhead projector transparency) to a supervisor.

This is a rather oddball book in that I can’t work out what market it would appeal to. The storytelling is rather simplistic with too much ’telling’ and not enough ’showing’ which would appear to make it aimed at younger people. However, the author is obviously very intelligent, and you suddenly find him getting into the nitty-gritty of genetics and directing you to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle on Wikipedia. This would indicate an older readership as the intended market. A cross-species sexual encounter is also included, though it's only referred to with hindsight and even then, obliquely.

The genetics part bothered me because it went into a fair bit of detail and stated the probability of the genetic inheritance of the second generation. This can’t be done without knowing if the parents are homozygous or heterozygous for the dominant and recessive genes. Even if the nanorobots can direct which sperm will reach the egg, the parent can only donate the genes that they have.

The grammar is pretty good, but I don’t believe that the book has been professionally edited. There are two notes saying ’insert picture of Sam’ and ’insert picture of Alice’ though the picture has not been inserted in either case.

The cover looks like it’s homemade and, at first glance, looks more like a gardening book than a story of ‘man meets Sasquatch’.

I can’t really say what I liked or disliked about the book as I felt rather ambivalent towards it. I never felt that I really got into the story or particularly related to any of the characters. I felt I was just skimming over the top. I did enjoy ‘The Case of The Oily Pump’ as it had a moral and it made me smile. The other two stories left me unmoved and I’m not sure, in this age of PowerPoint, if younger people would even know what a viewgraph is.

For the reasons given above, I have awarded this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Joe Meets Saquatch & Nanobots
View: on Bookshelves

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Indeed the cover does not appeal, if i were to find it on a bookshelf i would not pick it.Also from the review i have gathered that, reader targeting was really a challenge and i hope the author will improve.This was a thorough review,thank you.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike books that you don't really enjoy, but you don't really know why you don't like it. You just never really got into. Sometimes, it's just hard to put into words what you are missing in the book. I like the thought of a sasquatch shaman and nanobots. It's too bad the story doesn't deliver. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

It's so sad and disappointing when a book has so much potential but doesn't fulfil it. It sounds like the author had a very good and original idea, just didn't really execute the story, or in this case stories, very well.
Thanks for the honest review! :tiphat:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I agree. The cover does not match the plot you describe in your review. I must admit, the benefits of receiving a transfusion from the nanobots seem appealing. Who wouldn't want improved health and special powers? Although I am not typically a follower of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre, I found myself drawn to the idea of the plot at the beginning of your review. It is unfortunate my interest plummeted as I read on. Nonetheless, the review was thorough and informative. Thanks!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I'll admit this is probably the oddest book I've read about on this site. I also can't say what audience this would appeal to, and children definitely don't know what a viewgraph is. The idea of yet another author using the excuse of "genetics" as a reason his version of science fiction is realistic also detracts from my desire to read this book.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like this is a very strange book to read. I don't really think it is for me. Thanks for the review!
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

I once watched a movie about nanobots and i was trilled. I would love to read this one and learn the stories of those affected by these nanobots.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The book sounds like an eclectic mix of issues with no overarching theme! I am giving this a pass, but thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's amazing how the cover can affect your feelings about a book. I thought maybe the nanobots were going to be in the flowers and they would become cognizant and.... I appreciated your description of the stories and your insights about the writing. Great job. Thanks.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This seems like a hodgepodge of different stories, and I can see why you're not sure about the target audience. This one doesn't appeal to me at all. Thanks for the thorough review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”