Presumed Dead

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Re: Presumed Dead

Post by Drado_27 »

Often the author chooses to revive someone at the end of the book, so don't be suprised if it happens to be so. That is becoming a little bit too mainstream and predictable in general. However, it keeps the story interesting, so I am still fine with it.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Rarely will the person in question be found dead. And in this case, with so many interested parties in the uncle's activities and personal belongings, there is always more than what appears on the surface. For me, this thread is what kept my interest throughout the entirety of the novel.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I would have loved to agree that he might still be alive, owing to other stories like this. But the author's writing style should be considered a whiff. He is full of surprises, so, anything can happen!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Beckygithui1994 wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 23:59 This is exactly what authors do. We readers have to be convinced that the character is dead for long periods in the story. uncle Randall might very well be alive.
Authors need to find other way to walk around such stories. Most of those authors end up being alive, probably someplace hiding. This gives room for more Creativity. It wouldn't be convenient to outrightly give out his state since it could spoil the book.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

The interesting thing is to read through the book keeping this question in mind. It's very possible it will turn out That he is alive after all. The thrill and twists in the plot keeps me reading for now.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Presumed dead? It is a interesting thing to use as an author style since we will read the book more to know if Uncle Randall is dead or alive. What will be the end result curiosity will make you read to the end to know.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It would be surprising if the uncle is actual dead, because these kind of story lines normally end up with the character still being alive.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

All I can say is that dead or alive, Randal was happy with his "dead" status wherever he was. Readers must read the whole book to find out.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

To answer that would spoil the book - Grant is unwilling to accept that his uncle is deceased, even though he is legally deceased according to the government.
Regardless, the author does a really nice job making practically every character in the book look as if they are a suspect to his murder/disappearance. If the average thief didn't want his money, then it was the greedy lawyer or the ungrateful orphan after his research. Or, it could be attributed to other scientists who wanted his research, or because he was involved with the government (and everyone knows how the government is, much less the Russian government! OMG). Stereotypically, everyone and anyone might have wanted him dead, but the main motivator would have likely been greed.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

GPM wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 02:45 Dr. Grant Taylor is called from Chicago to go through the effects of his uncle’s apartment in St. Petersburg. His uncle is “presumed dead” having never returned from an expedition in northernmost Russia. Throughout the novel Grant is tailed by various persons wanting to get at his uncle’s work.
Is his Uncle Randall really dead, or could he be alive?
In many books with this kind if situation, the 'dead' person usually ends up alive somewhere. So, it isn't always much of a surprise anymore-to me at least.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Rayne Sheffer
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayne-sheffer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Rayne Sheffer »

You won't find out until the very end - I thought they were gonna forget about it! But there is a confirmation for if he is alive or dead. You'll have to read and find out. :D
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Books that usually have characters that are presumed dead or missing are usually alive. I have completed the book, and I can say I'm somewhat satisfied with the ending. You'll have to wait right till the end to find out.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I liked the plot twists and the anxiety the plot aroused. I let the plot resolve itself rather than getting too worried whether Randall was alive or not.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

Grant doesn't find his uncle until the very end of the novel which feels predictable and disappointing. I wish the author had attempted a different climax.
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mukoan M »

Slater678 wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 02:23 I liked the plot twists and the anxiety the plot aroused. I let the plot resolve itself rather than getting too worried whether Randall was alive or not.
I agree with you here Slater678, letting the story unfolds itself helped me to enjoy the book. I was more concerned about Grant finding closure on what happened to his uncle and all the twists and suspense were enough to justify the ending for me.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”