Is Grant a good protagonist

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Jeff Winger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Re: Is Grant a good protagonist

Post by Jeff Winger »

Based on the singular attribute of him being the main character. I would say Grant was a "good" character but in general i would have to say that despite his initial appearance in which he was an excellent protagonist as the story progressed he continued to make bad decisions in regards to his life and the women he chose to associate with. He became weaker and weaker as the story went on.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I found him to be a good protagonist. In fact, I enjoyed his character from the beginning until the end of the book.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I enjoy protagonists/antagonists with strong character traits. Grant's character seemed to change constantly to suit the story's needs. All a character needs to do is convince his reader to connect with him. Grant, Boris, Max, and even Irina's characteristics fluctuated constantly.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think Grant is alright. I've wanted to smack him on many occasions because he wasn't thinking with his brain, rather his man parts. He suspected Irina but continued to have sexual relations with her just because she was beautiful. I wonder if he would have done so of he thought the woman was average looking. He was also more focused on his physical needs at times and made the dumbest decisions.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

I think Grant is a good protagonist. His flaws made him believable and interesting. A fictional character who is good at everything is boring and dull. Although, Grant doesn't even have a scratch by the end of the story and is saved by a deus ex-machina moment.
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mukoan M »

Grant was what a protagonist should be, not peferct so that we can relate with and somehow make the story believable. I could relate to him and understand that we are humans and have flaws. I enjoyed his character.
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

diana lowery wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:48 He is a "good" protagonist in that he is what drives the story; however, he is a weak character who gets even weaker as the story progresses.
Yes, I agree with you. He is a good protagonist in the sense that he drives the story. However, I found him annoying and naive. In the beginning, he made so many careless mistakes and was so slow to realize things. His cheating on Irina and sexual relations with multiple women at the same time did not help my opinion of him.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Grant fits the role of the protagonist perfectly. He had every character needed to stand out from the rest. Except for the relationships with those girls hehe.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Yeah, he was so exceptional. I enjoyed how the author described his role by not making him all perfect.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

Yeah I could not agree less. Grant was an amazing and well developed character. I don't know what would have become of this story without him.
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

He made a good protagonist in my opinion. Because it reveals more of the protagonist's humanity and makes them seem more plausible as actual people, I personally enjoy it when they aren't perfect. This is my personal choice.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

In my opinion, I consider the character Dr. Grant Taylor to be feeble. But as the story progressed along the way, it changed my perspective of him, knowing he was also brave in his encounter with the dire wolves. Looking at this novel, the protagonist's weaknesses and strengths are needed to make a good novel, so I believe Dr. Grant's attribute employed by the author was unique and admirable to me.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

Grant is a good protagonist, I love how the author describes his role to match the story as it changes, he is incredible.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I think Dr. Grant is the protagonist because the story centers on him, beginning with moving from Chicago to his uncle's place and his role in the novel. He is brave, smart, and the only human who can communicate with Shadow the lead wolf.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

I think the intention of the Author was to make his character real and that was what he did. Grant is likable, sometimes sloppy and annoying which us a typical characteristic of a real person.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”