Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Bruno Abia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruno-abia.html
Latest Review: Desert Sanctuary by Fred G. Baker

Re: Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Post by Bruno Abia »

The_Vivian wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:17 Alcohol may have been one of their obstacles, but in my opinion, I think the largest of all was the lack of trust amongst them. If they had trusted each other, the alcohol would have been a minor obstacle.
I ageee with you on this. The biggest issue was trust not alcohol. But alcohol limits the sense of judgement. So maybe alcohol played a vital role.
Dunamis_James
Currently Reading: Naked Truth
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Dunamis_James »

Alcohol for me was one of their obstacles. I felt they just enjoyed misbehaving and doing the wrong things.

Their lack of communication was their major obstacle.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

While alcohol was indeed a great obstacle, I think the jealousy and rivalry that ensued as a part of the relations between members of the expedition were even greater. That was increased due to the alcohol consumption.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

Yes I think that excessive alcohol consumption was a problem, although to them it nay be a solution of way to deal with problems. it probably made their own problems worse however
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

Alcohol abuse often ends in serious trouble on any type of expedition.
I know cases where a drunk asshole literally ruined expeditions of 20 or 30 people because of his aberrant behavior.
They are a danger to themselves and to those around them. The worst are the morons who, on top of that, think they are cunning for sucking up to the water in the vases.
Seriously, damn, people like that better stay in their well-kept houses and since they know how to drink as God commands, at least have the decency not to be exposed in such a rude way.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

Kelyn wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 23:41 I think their human weakness toward temptation was mostly the problem. Having the alcohol available at all was a problem waiting to happen. The expedition (and it's members) would have been better off without it.
Very well said. It is the temptation that rendered alcohol to be the problem and not the other way around. Kill the temptation, and the alcohol is just something being carried along.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

Giga51087 wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 04:32 Alcohol abuse often ends in serious trouble on any type of expedition.
I know cases where a drunk asshole literally ruined expeditions of 20 or 30 people because of his aberrant behavior.
Actually, there are many like these around us.
Wonna33
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonna33.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B07M8QVTK1

Post by Wonna33 »

Their alcohol use didn't bother me at all. I considered it a welcome distraction for them because of the stresses of their long travel and the vicious animals they encountered. Perhaps the security fence and heavy artillery made it easier to let their guard down. Their largest obstacle for me was the secrets and lies. It seemed that almost everyone had a hidden agenda. I knew why Grant was going to Zona, but others never revealed their true motivation for risking their lives.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that when you have a group of people that encounter heart-pounding and life altering situations it makes you want to overindulge. I do think that alcohol did become a problem for the group especially when you rely on everyone to be honest. The stealing that went on in the group certainly didn't help either.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I think that the largest obstacles to the expedition were a combination of the plants that mimicked hormones and alcohol. The two them in concert almost detailed the entire expedition.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I think it is not entirely alcohol that caused the problem. The mood swings and the mindset of some characters also had a great effect on the overall climate that pervaded the expedition.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
BookLoverMC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovermc.html
Latest Review: Better than Harvard by Steve Araba

Post by BookLoverMC »

I think that alcohol was the largest problem, too. A good reminder to stay sober in our own lives.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

I don't think alcohol itself was necessarily the biggest obstacle. I think the way they handled their alcohol and their distrust was the major obstacle.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

If only they had control over their consumption of alcohol I think they would have had a better expedition.
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:41 I don’t think it was purely the alcohol that was the problem but rather human error. Through human error or human weaknesses, they created their own obstacles such as miscommunication, dishonestly, excessive alcohol consumption etc.
I totally agree with you. The human beings did not have a mastery of themselves they were totally out of control and this was the main obstacle. If they has a little respect for each other they would have established communication channels, they would have respected nature and not tried to bully the wolves, they wouldn't have over indulged in alcohol. The emphasis here is they lacked respect for themselves, each other and nature.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”