Is God Omniscient?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Is God Omniscient?

Post by riyosha »

Nayyyy god is definitely not omniscient. How could he be, will all this suffering around us? Wouldn't he have done something by now?
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
M Deedee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-deedee.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by M Deedee »

God is omniscient and unquestionable. I have learnt that sometimes when we don't know why some bad things are happening and we can't do anything about them and we feel God is not doing anything too, there's usually a bigger picture and looking back to those times we will understand more
Don't say it's Impossible if you haven't given it a try.
Deedee
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

I think God is Omniscient. He alone knows the past and future and present. He is all knowing. I believe he already know what will happen between the snake, Adam and Eve. But the book shows he was surprised in a way. I also think the author intended to pass a message to the readers.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I also believe that God id omniscient, but I think the author did not chose to portray him in this way. If he had then he would not have been surprised that the curses didn't go how he expected it to. But since we have free will, we are free to fo whatever we chose.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

The God I believe in is omniscient, meaning all-knowing. However, I feel like the author does not portray God in this way because God, in this novel, acts surprised when he sees the effects of the curses he had bestowed upon his own people. That said, I like that the novel is written on a biblical point of view.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Yes God is omniscient, he knows the effect of whatever he permits to happen. If you observe, he always gives us an escape route, but permits us to have a taste of what we think is right.
I find it amusing too the author had to portray God in such an uncommon way.
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marvin85 »

I believe that God is omniscient. He is not surprised by man`s disobedience. Though he knows what will happen, he gives man a free-will so that when he messes up he will condemn himself other than putting blame on God. The forewarnings of God about eating the forbidden fruit leaves us with the conclusion that he knows the disgrace that would follow, thus making him omniscient
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:45 I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening, and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve.
As everybody else says in this thread, yes, God is Omniscient. The three attributes of God that are overarching are (1) He is omnipresent (he is everywhere in space and time simultaneously), he is omniscient (he knows everything through space and time), and he is omnipotent (he is the all-powerful mighty being). 'Nuf said.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

riyosha wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 21:31 Nayyyy god is definitely not omniscient. How could he be, will all this suffering around us? Wouldn't he have done something by now?
In short, the answer to your question, Riyosha, is "free will". Mankind decided to abandon God, starting in the Garden. He merely allowed, and allows, us to reap the fruits of that decision. Someday, he will wipe the tears from all eyes, but until then, we all have to wait and keep trying to help unfortunate souls see the errors of their ways.

Lee
Koketso1998
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koketso1998.html

Post by Koketso1998 »

Yes, I strongly believe that God is omniscient. He is all-knowing and in control. I am shocked that the author portrayed God as surprised by some of the things that happened on earth.
Koketso1998
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koketso1998.html

Post by Koketso1998 »

Yes, I strongly believe that God is omniscient. He is all-knowing and in control. I am shocked that the author portrayed God as surprised by some of the things that happened on earth.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Leecedar wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 10:25
riyosha wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 21:31 Nayyyy god is definitely not omniscient. How could he be, will all this suffering around us? Wouldn't he have done something by now?
In short, the answer to your question, Riyosha, is "free will". Mankind decided to abandon God, starting in the Garden. He merely allowed, and allows, us to reap the fruits of that decision. Someday, he will wipe the tears from all eyes, but until then, we all have to wait and keep trying to help unfortunate souls see the errors of their ways.

Lee
I don't mean to disrespect your beliefs, but I just want to ask, in that case, why does God regard humankind as one entity at all? We discriminate and oppress members of our own kind.... how is it fair to them? Many die hungry, having only ever known starvation and poverty. They didn't have the conscious choice of abandoning God, perhaps it was imposed upon them. How is this treatment fair to them at all?
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Realidad20_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Realidad20_ »

While I have been raised as a believer that God is omniscient, there have been times when I wondered if there was a simple scientific explanation on why things do happen. But, we grow so firmly to believe everything done has been through him. For example, subconsciously when there is a relative who is ill, I find myself going to god for help and mercy to not take that loved one away.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I believe God is omniscient. The concept of God making mistakes is very unsettling to me. I wish the author hadn't done that.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

I believe God knows everything. I think there is a difference, God knowing everything and God doing and controlling everything. I think it makes Him more Godly than one of us, as people participate in the making of the finer print while He has the oversight.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”