Is God Omniscient?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Is God Omniscient?

Post by Prestige-best »

Yes God is reminiscent that's why he planned out the world in a great manner.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

God is ominiscient. The author tried to paint a picture of God being more of a father figure than as a God he is. Let's not forget the author wrote out of his imaginations.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Yes God is omniscient. What ever picture the author was trying to paint is just his imagination.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Yeah God knows everything from the start to finish. One reason I always acknowledge him.
shilpa khanom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-khanom.html
Latest Review: Black, White, and Gray All Over by Frederick Douglass Reynolds

Post by shilpa khanom »

Its definitely a portrayal that humanizes the character of God perhaps to make him more relatable/ understandable. For me as a Muslim, I also believe God is Omniscient and thus knows all things and knows people (his creation) better than we know ourselves.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Although the book did not really portray God as omniscient, in my opinion, and from the biblical standpoint, he is.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

God being omniscient still confuses me. When Adam and Eve ate of the fruit he had asked them not to eat from, he came to the garden calling and looking for them. He was supposed to know where they where, what they had done. In fact, he was supposed to know that they would eat the fruit that day before they did.

I'm just as confused as anyone in this matter on God being omniscient.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Yaksha Shetty wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 12:39 Yes God is Omniscient. And that is why everything around us works the way it works.
It does not really explain it. Nature takes it course no matter what. And there are things you'd expect not to happen and for God to prevent if he knew it was going to happen before hand.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Elvis Best wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 13:19 In the book, I think what the author tried to do was to humanise God. God was portrayed as a being who could also make mistakes. But this goes contrary to our believe that God is omniscient.

It's a different way to look at God, and I think what the author was trying to do was to challenge our former theology about God.
I agree. The author was writing about God in a different perspective. He portrayed God as a loving father who makes mistakes, regrets things ( the bible actually registered God having a regret) and is surprised by the actions if his creation. That is a way of looking at God as a father, but not entirely as a God.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

yosek123 wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 17:07 I saw this portrayal as a variation on the "Problem of Evil," a paradox presented by Epicurus and David Hume. Hume postulates: "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then from whence comes evil?" In this book, God does not seem to be omniscient, since he is surprised by some of the actions. He is not, however, malevolent as the quote may suggest since he does govern.
I think the main reason God does not so much interfere with certain things happening on earth is because he had set the earth in motion and for nature to take it's course. He also gave man free will which he won't interfere with. Letting these two work out on their own, evil is bound to happen.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

do20 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 12:31 I believe that God is omniscient, he knows everything about the past, the present and the future. God was not surprised but rather angry because human being had disobeyed him.
If he is omniscient, shouldn't he had known that they would disobey him? He should know on which day and through what means. The probable explanation is that he knew but would not interfere with their free will.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Sushan wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 19:44 If you don't control the whole situation then you have to be ready for surprises. Adam and Eve had free will, so everything could not have been foreseeable
Exactly! It's the free will tht accounts for God's surprise. Man has a choice, his decisions to choose between good and evil cannot be interfered with.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

God is omniscient irrespective of how this book portrays Him. His manifested presence however varies.
It's the author's point of view it communicated anyways.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

In my opinion God is not surprised by anything that happens. (I’m not sure I’d like to live that way.) He knew what they were going to do before they did it, so even if He was capable of being surprised, He had ample time to go over the possible ways they would react to the situation.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

God is indeed omniscient but killing Abel does not potray Him as one. The author likened God to a being who is prone to mistakes instead of an all knowing God. This is my only dissatisfaction about the book.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”