Is God Omniscient?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Is God Omniscient?

Post by Anna Dougherty »

I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening, and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve. He seems surprised that the curses did not do exactly what he had in mind. How could this happen if he is God? I think it is interesting that the author chose to portray God in this way.
ohlendorfbe
Favorite Book: The Piano Man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlendorfbe.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ohlendorfbe »

I agree with you that the author of this book does not really portray God as omniscient, because he is surprised by the acts of men. The omniscient God that I believe in is all-knowing. I think the author made the Trinity with too many fallible characteristics.
Yaksha Shetty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaksha-shetty.html
Latest Review: White Jaguar by Preben Orman

Post by Yaksha Shetty »

Yes God is Omniscient. And that is why everything around us works the way it works.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

Yes, I believe God is omniscient. I was surprised that the author portrayed God as surprised by some of the things that happened on earth.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:45 I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening, and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve. He seems surprised that the curses did not do exactly what he had in mind. How could this happen if he is God? I think it is interesting that the author chose to portray God in this way.
Yes, that is one thing I disliked about the book. God has no weaknesses and makes no mistakes! So, He is never surprised by anything. Yes, God is omniscient.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

B Creech wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 09:54
Anna Dougherty wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:45 I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening, and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve. He seems surprised that the curses did not do exactly what he had in mind. How could this happen if he is God? I think it is interesting that the author chose to portray God in this way.
Yes, that is one thing I disliked about the book. God has no weaknesses and makes no mistakes! So, He is never surprised by anything. Yes, God is omniscient.
I agree! The author suggests that God could make mistakes as He is unaware of the consequences He caused. There is no support for this in the bible and so while I enjoyed the other theories the author used to embellish the stories, this seemed to be a strange decision.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

In the book, I think what the author tried to do was to humanise God. God was portrayed as a being who could also make mistakes. But this goes contrary to our believe that God is omniscient.

It's a different way to look at God, and I think what the author was trying to do was to challenge our former theology about God.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Topsey wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 13:00
B Creech wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 09:54
I agree! The author suggests that God could make mistakes as He is unaware of the consequences He caused. There is no support for this in the bible and so while I enjoyed the other theories the author used to embellish the stories, this seemed to be a strange decision.
I think so too, it was a strange decision!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
yosek123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yosek123.html
Latest Review: Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings by Gabriela Marie Milton

Post by yosek123 »

I saw this portrayal as a variation on the "Problem of Evil," a paradox presented by Epicurus and David Hume. Hume postulates: "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then from whence comes evil?" In this book, God does not seem to be omniscient, since he is surprised by some of the actions. He is not, however, malevolent as the quote may suggest since he does govern.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by victoriasimons »

Yes, I've always viewed God in this way too. It helps with the Christian belief that we should have faith in His plan as he knows best, regardless of how bad current situations might be. However, some Bible stories conflict this too. In "Killing Abel", God seems surprised by human actions in a similar way to God's anger in the story of Adam and Eve when He is shocked and disappointed that they both disobey Him and eat the apple. I wonder if these stories are simply intended to help humans explore the concept of God, as opposed to portraying Him completely accurately?
do20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do20.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by do20 »

I believe that God is omniscient, he knows everything about the past, the present and the future. God was not surprised but rather angry because human being had disobeyed him.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

If you don't control the whole situation then you have to be ready for surprises. Adam and Eve had free will, so everything could not have been foreseeable
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Ever pondered on this topic too? Well, I still believe that God is omniscient. I like how the author portrayed God's surprise. I think the freedom of 'will' comes with unpredictable consequences. Man had free will. The rest makes this book exciting.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Elvis Best wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 13:19 In the book, I think what the author tried to do was to humanise God. God was portrayed as a being who could also make mistakes. But this goes contrary to our believe that God is omniscient.

It's a different way to look at God, and I think what the author was trying to do was to challenge our former theology about God.
I agree that this portrayal of God felt like a challenge to former theology. It is hard for us to imagine what omniscience would really look like. All of our "super-heroes" have weaknesses (Superman, Captain America, etc.) Our comfort comes from believing that God is so much more than we could ever imagine. Making him human, someone who sins and makes mistakes, just makes God "another one of us"!!
onepiece2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onepiece2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by onepiece2 »

Yes, I believe that God is omniscient and all-knowing. I found it interesting that the author chose to portray God in such an uncommon way. However, I like that the author chose this portrayal because it challenged me to view God from a different perspective.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”