Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Post by lwahls2 »

I never thought about it in terms of a blessing or a curse. I thought of it as a punishment for disobeying rules which has a negative connotation. But ultimately being banished set in motion a string of events that made life as we know it today.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Fatima Saif
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: Make Fitness A Priority
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-saif.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Fatima Saif »

Adam and Eve were disobedient to God's order. Inturn they were driven away from the Garden of Eden. It was a blessing because God has forgiven them and blessed them with a chance to please Him and get their position back in Garden of Eden. This time period is limited and it is a trial period to assess whether they are anymore obedient to God's order or not. Because if wrong deeds are done once only, they are mistake. But if repeatedly committed, then it is a conscious behavior which is a sin. It is not a curse. It is just last chance to prove their innocence and loyalty in front of God. They don't have to listen to Satan anymore. Inturn, they'll stay in Garden of Eden.

Moreover, this world is not only limited to trials and obligations. It has many beautiful aspects, flavors and treats for them. These treats can whether distract from right path and sometimes lead to God's pleasure if right decisions are made according to God's rules and regulations written in His Holy Book.
Francis okorie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-okorie.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Francis okorie »

It was more of a curse than a blessing. They had to experience something that was not in the plan for their life and it was really hard for them.
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

I see it more as a result of disobedience than a curse. After all, is God really the cursing type? I don't think so.
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

We actually discussed this in class once and I feel torn between the two opinions.
Its a blessing because if the incidents had turned out different, human race wouldn't be where it is right now. But if Eve hadn't ate the apple we would've still been thriving happily in heaven.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

underthe_cloudyskies wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 08:12 We actually discussed this in class once and I feel torn between the two opinions.
Its a blessing because if the incidents had turned out different, human race wouldn't be where it is right now. But if Eve hadn't ate the apple we would've still been thriving happily in heaven.
I often think that when I get to heaven, I want to ask the Almighty about this whole "Free Will" thing... The human race was sinless and living in paradise. I know He wants us to choose Him as our free choice, but I'd be just as happy with perfection in the Garden.
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

Leecedar wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 18:20
underthe_cloudyskies wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 08:12 We actually discussed this in class once and I feel torn between the two opinions.
I often think that when I get to heaven, I want to ask the Almighty about this whole "Free Will" thing... The human race was sinless and living in paradise. I know He wants us to choose Him as our free choice, but I'd be just as happy with perfection in the Garden.
I know right!
Christiana+-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Christiana+- »

My own thoughts on this are that it's not a blessing at all, because God design this garden to be a stress-free place. But after they were been drove out it's really full one difficulty to another.
Budhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-budhal.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Budhal »

I don't think, driving Adam and Eve out of the Garden was a curse or a punishment. God is almighty and always forgives his creation (human being) even when we human beings don't really feel guilty about the sins that we do. He is a masterplanner and don't you think Adam and Eve eating the fruit must have been His part of plan for something greater.
What isn't said is as important as what is said.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Sending them away from the Garden seems like a punishment to me for their disobedience to God. Thus, a curse in some form. The universe was made after that, which I see as a worse place than the paradise of course. So, I feel it was a curse with a scope of asking for forgiveness.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

shamayelnur wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 19:00 Sending them away from the Garden seems like a punishment to me for their disobedience to God. Thus, a curse in some form. The universe was made after that, which I see as a worse place than the paradise of course. So, I feel it was a curse with a scope of asking for forgiveness.
Actually, the universe was completely made for a long time before Adam and Eve sinned. They were cast out of paradise into the world as consequence for their sin and to prevent them from compounding that sin by eating the fruit from the Tree of Life.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html

Post by Kola+wole »

I think their being sent out of the garden was the natural outcome of their actions. Disobedience has its consequences.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I think it was both. Curse and blessing as well.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

I think it all depends on how you want to look at it but clearly every action attracts a reaction, positive or negative.It works so even with God
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarna.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Abhyarna »

every curse might become a blessing at some time and every blessing can be a curse. Everything changes with time and perspective.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”