Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Re: Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Post by Alexandros92 »

Let me add that God, wise as he is, cannot make a mistake. Everythign he does has meaning although we may not always understand it. Amen.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

God casting Adam and Eve out of the garden was both a blessing and a curse in my opinion. God's grace could not let man live forever in his imperfections that they had bestowed upon themselves. On the other side of the coin, it was a curse to be blocked from paradise.
Divergent fire
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-fire.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: Mobile

Post by Divergent fire »

I would like to see this curse that God put on Adam as a kind of blessing. Whatever happens, it's all the part of gods plans. And no where in history, it's noted that the plans of God are for our destruction.
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

In my opinion it was a curse. Sending Adam and Eve from the Gerden of Eden relates to our present day suffering. If they had not eaten the fruit, I believe we would have all been in paradise.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

Reading this book got me thinking about the current Covid-19 pandemic. Would chasing Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Aden after eating the fruit of knowledge be relatable to the pandemic as a result of a curse. My thoughts would be that there's a possibility of the same.
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html

Post by Marvin85 »

I think sending Adam and Eve out of the garden was a blessing in disguise because if they were left in the garden, they could have sinned worse. God could have been left with no choice other than to completely destroy them. if it was so, I also think that we could not have an opportunity to exist since we are descendants of Adam and Eve.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

Wyzdomania_Gskillz wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 10:50
Secondly, sending the man and woman away from the garden was for their good and that of mankind to come. That was the singular act that ensured they could be redeemed again. Because if they had gone ahead to eat from the tree of life after the fall (which I suppose they were already eating from before the fall, seeing as the tree of knowledge of good and evil was the only forbidden one), they would have lived perpetually in that fallen state with no possibility of redemption....
Now, THAT is an interesting perspective that I have never pondered. It makes all the sense in the world. As you said, by sending them from the Garden, He gave them and their offspring the chance of redemption. It is also possible, however, that they merely had not eaten of the tree of life YET. Being that God is omniscient, he knew that if He didn't send them away from the Garden, they would be condemned forever, so he cast them away.
Njericate19
Currently Reading: Her surrender
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Njericate19 »

Sending Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden was neither a curse nor a blessing. What happened is, they suffered the consequences of their actions,when God created them he specifically told them not to eat from the forbidden tree
He knew what would happen if they ate the fruits from the tree hence why we call Him omniscient. They didn't listen and they had to suffer the consequences of what they did.
Njoxs-19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njoxs-19.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Njoxs-19 »

For me I think it was meant to be. Nothing happens without the knowledge of God. Adam and Eve also learnt a lesson and from there hence forth they were able to choose to sin or not to sin. I also don't view it as a curse.
Porcupineapple15
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-porcupineapple15.html

Post by Porcupineapple15 »

:text-goodpost: I love the depth of your question. I firstly have to point out that casting Adam and Eve away from the Garden of Eden was definitely meant to be a punishment, as a consequence for the purposeful eating of the forbidden fruit. As for Adam’s gratefulness towards God for removing them from the Garden, I believe this is the author’s fictional interpretation of the story in order to show more emotion in both Adam and Eve. In the Old Testament of the Bible, it is very clear that Adam and Eve were ashamed of their sin and were deeply remorseful for their actions, and their desire to stay in the Garden was stronger than anything.
However, God knew that they would eventually disobey him, and instead of getting rid of them entirely, he sent them into the sinful world with compassion. By doing so, it is entirely possible that they were opened up to the possibility of being controlled by Lucifer instead, but Adam and Eve were ashamed of their sin and still worshipped God. The purpose of the Garden of Eden itself was to protect them from Lucifer. Hope that helps!
JM Reviews wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 04:38 Just after Adam and Eve had eaten from the tree of knowledge, God drove them away from the Garden. The author of this book seems to justify every curse that God put on Adam. At some point, Adam seems grateful for the curses. What really captured my attention was the justification of the fact that God sent them away from Eden. Do you think the main purpose was to protect them from Lucifer? Do you believe that eating from the tree of life would have worsened the situation?
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

God is all knowing and never makes a mistake. Sending Adam and Eve out of the garden was the best course of action. If it were possible to take him back he will still take the same decision. We might not understand all his ways, but we have to trust and worship still!
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

Leen282 wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 11:40 I didn't read it as a curse. To me, it's a consequence of their actions. Since there's no comparison to what their life would have been had they been allowed to stay, it's hard to say if in the end it's more a curse or more a blessing.
I agree that it is a consequence of their actions. I do not see it as a curse, as God is good. What happened to them is merely a result from their decision. On the other hand, despite of the consequence, some of the aspects they experience afterwards can be seen as blessings.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

I do not think being sent away from the presence of God into the open world where the devil has been banished to can be anything other than a curse. Something should be either a blessing or a curse. I do not believe there is a middle ground there. In their case it cannot be a blessing, all the struggling they had to undergo after the Garden.
apayne310
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: The 57 Bus
Bookshelf Size: 415
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apayne310.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by apayne310 »

I think it was a good and a bad thing. It was essentially the start of human nature which can spur people to do incredible things. Like accept the consequences of their actions and use that as an opportunity to grow and learn.
Andra2005
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andra2005.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Andra2005 »

To me it didn't seem like a curse, it seemed more like a consequence of his deeds.
It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”