Is there misogyny in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Is there misogyny in the book?

Post by Awesomeliker »

Eve's punishment was quite brutal in my opinion. I'm not saying Adam's wasn't but Eve had to give up her free will. What's your opinion?
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
MorganKnightOfficial
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganknightofficial.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by MorganKnightOfficial »

Even in the original Biblical tale, I have always thought that Eve's punishment was way harsher than Adam's. I never quite understood why, because both of them sinned equally. Though, I also think that perhaps God was protecting and punishing her at once by doing this - she became secondary to man, but at least she was safe in his protection.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I don't think it's the book, it's the original story. When reading the book, the conversations around Eve being secondary to Adam even sound quite sarcastic to me, as if the author wants to mock the situation. But I feel like I am reading it with different eyes from a lot of others based on the reviews I have read so far.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Mankind was in a misogynistic state back then. The woman was seen as a childbearer and not much else. Biblical stories and often paintings placed the woman in the background, as if they had no importance. When less was understood about nature, men used to stone women on their period out of fear they were possessed. How many women were burned as witches for suffering mental illness?

To be true to the times, misogyny should be there so we don't forget our failures and can strive to do better.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I don't think there's misogyny in the book. We shouldn't consider the gravity of their punishments because both of them perpetrated the act, and they both got punished for it.
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

Eve sinned more greatly because it was on her account that Adam sinned. She set the example and Adam followed it. However, she was not given a greater punishment, for while she was told she would deliver children in pain, Adam was punished with labor and death.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Usuma Khan wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 10:51 Eve sinned more greatly because it was on her account that Adam sinned. She set the example and Adam followed it. However, she was not given a greater punishment, for while she was told she would deliver children in pain, Adam was punished with labor and death.
Absolutely! I've never thought it that way: that Eve was severely punished than Adam. I think both of them were punished. Let it also not be forgoten that Eve concocted sin, and that God is just and fair.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I think that's very subjective in this scene, considering only the type of punishment. I don't interpret it like that, I think that it's not misogyny, but that could be an open question.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

So I guess in our times maybe it is seen as mysognist, but in the past such ideas were normal right?
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

misogyny or no misogyny you can not question God's decision. But I think it was due to her falling for serpent's trick and also cajoling her husband in to doing the same. I wonder why Adam was not able to stand his ground though.
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

No, there is no misogyny, I believe. From the history of mankind, we see that God is a perfect "leveler" of all inequalities between men and women and between men & men and women & women too. By the time we reach our graves, all inequalities are made up. Girls are badly treated but once they marry and become mothers, they are emotionally far more powerful and have a greater influence on their children compared to fathers. Boys set out as a privileged lot in their young days and ruin themselves feeling they're superior. After they marry and raise kids, (the boys turned) men come to know that they are emotionally weaker and cannot influence their kids more than their wives. So, it all squares up in the end! What do you feel?
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Awesomeliker wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 13:40 Eve's punishment was quite brutal in my opinion. I'm not saying Adam's wasn't but Eve had to give up her free will. What's your opinion?
Well, she didn't really give up her free will, did she? Because I'm thinking if she really did, women wouldn't have a choice as to who they accept to be their husband.

They are only required to be submissive to the one they choose to be their husband
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I don't think there is any. The punishment was as a result of the role played. The woman was the one who gave the husband the fruit, so the husband had to be given authority over her. I also don't think she lost her freewill.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

God is fair and just and he knows how to put out judgement. We cannot question God too. I do not think there is a misogyny.
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

I agree. I can imagine few things worse than the loss of free will. For me, that would equate to complete slavery.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”