Did Nephilim Really Help Noah with Building the Ark before the Flood?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Did Nephilim Really Help Noah with Building the Ark before the Flood?

Post by Sheila_Jay »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:39 As I know, Noah built his ark to save his family and other animals from the Flood. This is actually mentioned in the Bible. But I have not heard about Nephilim helping something with it.

So, what do you think about Nephilim in this book? Did Nephilim actually do that in the Bible, or is this just the author's opinion?
All my life I have always known that its Noah who built the ark. However, I am not surprised with the mention of Nephilim because in this book the author was trying to fill in some gaps that exist in the Bible story; therefore, this is just the author's opinion.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Mutai_
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Mutai_ »

The author embraces that Noah received help while building the ark. In his imagination, it was the gigantic men who did it. Just his opinion
Rubbi
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Rubbi »

It could be just the author's creativity and imagination in writing a fictional content.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 02:27 We already know the author wrote so many things from his opinion—this is just one of them.
I'm inclined to agree, especially since I don't remember that being mentioned in the Bible. This is just another of the author's musings to move the plot along.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

Samgum50 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 21:17 I think that this is just the authors opinion. I've never seen biblical backing to confirm that theory.
Your right :)

I had only one perceived notion in writing Killing Abel, other than to start with Adam and Eve and to end with Noah. The one perceived belief was that I knew what the mark of Cain was. So the Nephilim working on the Ark, literally, like much of the book just fell into place as I wrote.

As I got to where Noah was given the task of building the Ark, I ran in to a moral dilemma and the easiest way to solve it was to add the Nephilim. The moral dilemma was, Noah needed help from others for the giant task before him, and to my morals, I could not ask a man to labor 100 years, to faithfully work on a project, and not reward him with a seat on what he had built. I don't see Noah or God denying that to a faithful servant, either.

There is another problem that the Nephilim fill quite nicely. The Ark is covered in "pitch." Pitch is flammable, on top of wood that is very old and very dry in many cases. If Noah is building the Ark in a populated area, the chances for destruction are enormous over the period of one hundred years. And if the area where the ark is being built is populated with men and women, they will want to get on the Ark by the thousand as they start to drown.

There is only one plausible way that I can think of for Noah to keep the ark safe and keep people off it . . . is to build the ark in a secret location with the Nephilim. With Nephilim you could do it with just a few of them and they don't have the same wants and needs as human men and women do, so they are much easier for the Noah and the three boys to manage.

A giant boat built by giant men, fits nicely. The moral dilemma is fixed as the Nephilim are not "thought" to be free will and eternal beings as they will be denied a seat on their life's work. They are powerful in size and strength to do the job. There are no women among the Nephilim, they are only men. It works for Noah's purposes and for Gods.

Is that what happened ? I don't know, but it could have.

Is it only a coincidence that the Nephilim and the need for an Ark are concurrent chronologically in the bible?

Did God envision an Ark before or after giants walked the earth?

I don't know but it is a blast to think/ponder about these possibilities! God could have saved Noah and his family in countless ways, but He choose "a" man to build an Ark, not a miracle. To me, this is a wonderful thing about our Father, He makes us think, to gain understanding! I would and I am sure He would have it no other way!
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The art of building a boat to save his people from the coming flood was new to Noah. This, proves that he, infact did receive some help in the form of guidance from Nephilim.🌸
mairu
Currently Reading: Geek Girl : Model Misfit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mairu.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by mairu »

It might be the author's interpretation/ opinion and alternate explanation is that Noah asked his neighbors for help with constructing the ark but they declined
Jeff101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff101.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by Jeff101 »

I don’t think that it is in the original texts, it was only Noah by himself with his family that built the ark
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I believe this is just the author's opinion. I have never read in the Bible that Nephilim or anyone else besides Noah's family helped him build the ark. It took him 120 years to build it. All I've ever read about it in the Bible says people would make fun of him while he was working on building the ark, but never about anyone helping him.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

I'm fairly certain that it was just the author's opinion
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

In the bible, it does not mention Nephilim helped Noah to build the ark. So it looks just the author's thoughts. But it did not affect my reading of this book.
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

I am pretty sure that Noah built the ark with only help from his family.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

LiLj wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 12:42 I am pretty sure that Noah built the ark with only help from his family.
I agree with you! The Bible does not mention anything about the Nephilim or any other people. If the sons with their wives were to be in the ark then I am certain they are the ones that helped.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Although it may not be explicitly in the bible there are many theories for various bible stories. A lot of these are to satisfy the curiosity of humans when in reality these details do not change the stories or the messages being conveyed. It is possible they helped build the ark, but ultimately this is not an important detail. If the bible included every detail and every explanation it would be ten times, maybe a hundred times, the size.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

In this fiction, it is merely the author's opinion. But when the practicality is considered, Noah might had had some sort of help for such an enormous project
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”