Did Nephilim Really Help Noah with Building the Ark before the Flood?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Did Nephilim Really Help Noah with Building the Ark before the Flood?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 01:15 I think the author added a lot of things based on his opinion. But looking at it critically, Nephilim helping Noah shouldn't be out of place
I like your comment. Without being radical the author managed to ward us off from the strict adherence that the bible should not be added any descriptions.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

Most of the book is just a work of fiction based on the information found in the first few chapters of the book of Genesis. Until I came to grips with that fact, I found myself thinking, 'that' never happened or 'this' wasn't ever stated in the Bible. I believe the author filled in the blanks with what he felt might have occurred. Like he said in the About This Book section, "All of the fiction is added in an attempt to bolster the biblical text with fictional but logical context."
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Wuoketch wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 05:28 This was the authors opinion. The bible doesn't really account for Nephilim helping Noah build the Ark.
True. I can't remember reading about Nephilim
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

kljrox wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 16:47 Most of the book is just a work of fiction based on the information found in the first few chapters of the book of Genesis. Until I came to grips with that fact, I found myself thinking, 'that' never happened or 'this' wasn't ever stated in the Bible. I believe the author filled in the blanks with what he felt might have occurred. Like he said in the About This Book section, "All of the fiction is added in an attempt to bolster the biblical text with fictional but logical context."
I strongly agree with you. These were just from the author's imaginary point of view.
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

This is the author's perception. I, however, believe Noah had some help building the ark. I can't tell where the help came from
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

The Bible does not talk about help from Nephilim in building the ark. I believe, like in many books that have some religious basis, the author has inserted their own ideas to try to make sense of the situation. After all, it is difficult for people to understand how Noah could have built such a large boat and got the animals on board if he resembled us. So thinking that Nephilim, who were giants in the Bible, helped build the ark probably adds some credibility to the story in the author's mind.
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

The Bible does not make mention of Nephilim. All the effort, with regards to the ark building, is attributed to Noah. I think the author's decision to include Nephilim was a creative one but was not accurate.
BB Ombayo
Currently Reading: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb-ombayo.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by BB Ombayo »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:39 As I know, Noah built his ark to save his family and other animals from the Flood. This is actually mentioned in the Bible. But I have not heard about Nephilim helping something with it.

So, what do you think about Nephilim in this book? Did Nephilim actually do that in the Bible, or is this just the author's opinion?
I think this is the author's opinion. What I know is that Noah asked his neighbours for their help in constructing the ark but they ridiculed him
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I've never seen this type (or any type) of angel mentioned as helping Noah to build the ark, but it would make sense. The ark was massive! Could just one man and his family actually build that, in the given amount of time, all by themselves? And we know/think that a lot of details were left out of the narrative of the Bible. This might just be one of them.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Nephilims are the author's imagination. The Bible does not mention any form of assistance that Noah might have received while crafting the ark. It's human nature to consider that he had a helping hade considering the huskiness of the ark.
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I believe it is the writers opinion.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a theory that has become popular in recent times. There is no Biblical evidence to support this theory. We know the Nephilim existed, and we know they were huge (Numbers 13:31). Other than that, we are embellishing or presuming information that is not found in Scripture. I don't think it is wrong to think that they might have helped Noah build the ark, as long as we are willing to admit that we are presuming something the Bible does not tell us.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

I think it was just common sense on the author's part that to build such a boat would require massive human resources. So giants!
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

From what I found, there are three references of the giants in the Bible. Genesis, Numbers, and Ezekiel. I have never read where they helped with the ark, but it's a logical thought, if you are one who believes they were not evil. I have researched it just enough to be able to say...I don't know.... If they were evil, passive (as the author portrays) or something else, it was interesting to try to find out more about them.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
bunmiolu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmiolu.html
Latest Review: My Heart in Kenya by Ruth Beardsley

Post by bunmiolu »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:39 As I know, Noah built his ark to save his family and other animals from the Flood. This is actually mentioned in the Bible. But I have not heard about Nephilim helping something with it.

So, what do you think about Nephilim in this book? Did Nephilim actually do that in the Bible, or is this just the author's opinion?
There is no biblical back up for that. It must have been part of what the author has imagined.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”