What would you change?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

What would you change?

Post by Samisah »

The book gives a fiction version of the biblical story of the book of Genesis. It is well written and has a lot to offer. However, readers must understand that it is the author's perspectives that were given in the book.
So I guess i wanted wanted to ask those who have read the book if there are narratives they didn't like or felt out of place. If yes, how would you have rather written it?
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I didn't find anything out of place, personally. I feel that the author's viewpoint and ideas fit well with the rest of the book. He uses the Bible's stories as well as his own viewpoint and was able to blend the two together well.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:28 I didn't find anything out of place, personally. I feel that the author's viewpoint and ideas fit well with the rest of the book. He uses the Bible's stories as well as his own viewpoint and was able to blend the two together well.
I agree. Despite knowing that the author's narrative was not fact, it seemed to fit nicely within the context.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I did not like that mixture of facts referenced in the bible with the author's imagination. I believe biblical stories are sacred and should not be mixed with innovative contributions that are not necessarily true.
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

I liked that I had to stop and think every so often. The concepts are plausible and pretty much what we do anyway. We accept the translation as correct and fill in what we don't understand as we ourselves read The Bible. Who knows what we could learn from the complete version.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

It's a work of fiction so different readers will carry different understandings. Every book can confirm biases or help people change. Depends on the person.
Spencer Mack
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Personally, I don't like scriptures being mixed with the author's viewpoint or imagination. I believe that the biblical scriptures should be translated or interpreted with the influence of the Holy Spirit, not mankind's imagination.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I can't help but wonder if the author is serious or joking when he writes about Eve and her willingness to submit to Adam. Even Adam's reply sounds sarcastic to me: "That went well. She is going to listen to me after all. This is going to be easy."

I would prefer the author to make sure from the start that the reader knows if the author is writing a serious book or if he is adding comments like the above to add humor.
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Post by daphne_asir »

I would have preferred it if the book was a bit more concise. I found it to be needlessly elaborate.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I wouldn't change anything. The author added his own viewpoint just to create something different from the usual. I wouldn't want to change that concept.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I probably wouldn’t change anything. I like that the author used his own imagination to make the story unique.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

spencermack wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 23:29 It's a work of fiction so different readers will carry different understandings. Every book can confirm biases or help people change. Depends on the person.
I strongly agree with you.
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

The authors view was okay. I liked how the author mixed his own imaginations with the biblical versions. It made the story more lively and interesting. This was a good work.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

writestuff wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 23:27 I liked that I had to stop and think every so often. The concepts are plausible and pretty much what we do anyway. We accept the translation as correct and fill in what we don't understand as we ourselves read The Bible. Who knows what we could learn from the complete version.
Haha. True, we already do this, we already fill it in our minds, wondering how and why characters reacted that way.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

daphne_asir wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 02:08 I would have preferred it if the book was a bit more concise. I found it to be needlessly elaborate.
I understand this, although one may say its the elaborate nature that makes the story fill up the way it does
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”