Is the Bible incomplete?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Sindambiwe olivier
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is the Bible incomplete?

Post by Sindambiwe olivier »

Hello guys, I think Bible is not incomplete it is understandable, if we gets sacred spirit we'll know what it teaches.
Sindambiwe olivier
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sindambiwe olivier »

Hello too, yes I know we are humanity and also don't forgot we're siners that's why all about God's love we can not understand but when we give all to him(God) he will send holy sipirity to help us to know all we must know. thanks.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Wesley Friday wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 04:51 I think whether or not the Bible is complete will require a subjective answer based on the ideology of the person being questioned. The present Bible we know is a collection of books which the Catholic Church deemed fit enough to carry across the Christian message. If you view the Catholic Church as potent and right enough to do this then the Bible may be complete to you. But if you think that other written books should have not been censored by the ancient Catholic Church you may also say that the Bible as is widely distributed is incomplete and is missing some books.
I really like that perspective! I think it's important to realize too that God works through imperfect people and we aren't all that great at keeping complete or sensible records, especially at the beginning of civilization and record keeping. So even if we believe the collections in the Bible to be complete, were the writers really able to relay a complete understanding of the events? I think the meaning and weight to the words is more important than the completeness....in other words, focusing on the words of truth that are already there, rather than focusing on its completeness as a point of truth. Just thinking out loud.
Tiffany__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffany__ »

The Bible isn't incomplete because the bible is a compilation of different books put together in a single volume. To say it's incomplete would mean that a single author wrote the Bible but did not complete it, which is not true.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 10:06 The author gives additional descriptions, which are not found in the original Bible, to the story from creating Adam and Eve, up to the worldwide flood. Most of who has studied the Bible must have had his/her own thoughts regarding these lacking parts. Does this mean that the Bible is incomplete? On the other hand, is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible?

The Bible does not need to describe every single detail of mankind's history to be complete. Each book in the Bible has a target audience and specific rhetoric, rendering the end result very rich even if, at times, with a sense of being incomplete.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

engarl wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 12:08
Wesley Friday wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 04:51 I think whether or not the Bible is complete will require a subjective answer based on the ideology of the person being questioned. The present Bible we know is a collection of books which the Catholic Church deemed fit enough to carry across the Christian message. If you view the Catholic Church as potent and right enough to do this then the Bible may be complete to you. But if you think that other written books should have not been censored by the ancient Catholic Church you may also say that the Bible as is widely distributed is incomplete and is missing some books.
I really like that perspective! I think it's important to realize too that God works through imperfect people and we aren't all that great at keeping complete or sensible records, especially at the beginning of civilization and record keeping. So even if we believe the collections in the Bible to be complete, were the writers really able to relay a complete understanding of the events? I think the meaning and weight to the words is more important than the completeness....in other words, focusing on the words of truth that are already there, rather than focusing on its completeness as a point of truth. Just thinking out loud.
Exactly! That's another wonderful position from which you can view the issue, from a point of veracity instead of how complete the book is. It can be compared to reading a series that a writer begins. The first book in the series may be incomplete but you don't stop there because its incomplete, the value of the entertainment that you derive from the book makes you want to give more attention to the series. Fantastic point made there, @@engarl
Asunshine
Currently Reading: Diary of a Wimpy Kid :The Ugly Truth
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunshine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Asunshine »

The bible is complete. It begins right from Genesis the first creation to the end in Revelation. This is fictional book, so it should not be compared to the bible whatsoever.
McCrimmonal_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mccrimmonal-91.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by McCrimmonal_91 »

The intention of the Bible seems to be incomplete because it is a tangible thing and , therefore, could not possibly contain everything that is most important in one's religion. :yoda:
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

B Creech wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 18:13
Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 10:06 The author gives additional descriptions, which are not found in the original Bible, to the story from creating Adam and Eve, up to the worldwide flood. Most of who has studied the Bible must have had his/her own thoughts regarding these lacking parts. Does this mean that the Bible is incomplete? On the other hand, is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible?
I do not believe the Bible is incomplete. There would not be enough room to write everything about God! I believe it is as complete as God wants it to be, we are not meant to know everything because we are not on the same realm as God. We are human, He is spiritual so we could not comprehend it all in our present state. That is just my opinion. Is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible? I say it is not righteous. I understand the author is using his imagination to fill in the gaps, which is what makes the book fiction. However, in the story of Adam and Eve, there wasn't just gaps being filled in, there were changes made to what the Bible actually says, which I have a problem with. I will continue reading to see how it goes unless I feel too much is being changed and not just being 'filled in.' Thanks for these questions!
I totally agree with this. God, in His infinite wisdom, chose what should be in the Bible. After- notes would be adding our human wisdom and trying to match it to that of God, a spiritual being.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
mraphael1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mraphael1.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by mraphael1 »

I think that the Bible is incomplete, with each individual adding or taking away from the book. Many times the Bible is just a starting point for people.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Lilyflower-x2 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 17:21
B Creech wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 18:13
I do not believe the Bible is incomplete. There would not be enough room to write everything about God! I believe it is as complete as God wants it to be, we are not meant to know everything because we are not on the same realm as God. We are human, He is spiritual so we could not comprehend it all in our present state. That is just my opinion. Is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible? I say it is not righteous. I understand the author is using his imagination to fill in the gaps, which is what makes the book fiction. However, in the story of Adam and Eve, there wasn't just gaps being filled in, there were changes made to what the Bible actually says, which I have a problem with. I will continue reading to see how it goes unless I feel too much is being changed and not just being 'filled in.' Thanks for these questions!
I totally agree with this. God, in His infinite wisdom, chose what should be in the Bible. After- notes would be adding our human wisdom and trying to match it to that of God, a spiritual being.
Exactly! Each writer was "inspired" by God to write what they did. I believe God had them write only what He felt was necessary to know. Revelation 22:18-19 (NIV) says (paraphrasing) not to add anything to, or take anything away from God's Word.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

The Bible is complete. I don't like it when someone touches its stories and develops them with some untrue statements.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

Personally, I think the Bible is complete. Theologians of the church have read and summarized each book in the Bible, giving us just what we need for our spiritual guidance.
Keotiee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Keotiee »

From my view I think the Bible is complete. And no one should add or subtract anything from it
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I have not read the bookKilling Abel, but noticed the topic. I always wondered if the bible was initially written in reverse, in a way. Someone, the writer or compiler, had a revelation or an epiphany, which then caused them to go back - almost like someone investigating a case. Some want it to be prophetic, and even if it turns out to come true in some sense, it may only be because that was the most likely outcome someone came up with after checking out the facts. Isn't this the more normal process of writing? One has an idea, then one finds evidence to support their idea and then, from this evidence, draws the conclusion, which would be somewhat ironically in this case, a revelation. I don't think it's just a story about creation and the lives of the people in the bible - it seems that there is more of a point than just that. It just so happens that the story is good enough to suffice as a creation story, focusing on the lives of specific individuals. Maybe I want it to be more than that. Maybe different people will get different things from the bible. Whatever the purpose, someone figured that it was important. That's a lot of work for something that isn't.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”