Is the Bible incomplete?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Astrid H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrid-h.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Re: Is the Bible incomplete?

Post by Astrid H »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 21:26
Laura Lee wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 21:05 It really depends on how you interpret "incomplete." When it comes to "instruction in righteousness" and doctrine, etc., the Bible states that it IS complete. As for all the interesting, fascinating little details that make stories interesting, I'd say, yes, a lot was left out of the Bible.

I came to that conclusion after reading the Book of Jasher (referenced several times in the Bible). The Book of Jasher is fascinating because it adds in all the little details the Bible leaves out. I haven't finished reading Killing Abel yet, but I am interested to see if the author "fills in" with details drawn from Jasher. Anyone who has ever read Jasher will probably tell you: "Yeah, the Bible leaves out a LOT of details!"
That was my point. Considering the chronological order, there are details that are left out from the bible
I am a Christian but I found this funny, imagining that you could “complete” the Bible in FanFiction lol
Astrid H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrid-h.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Astrid H »

espo wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 05:41
Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 05:22
Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 20:15

Changing the original scripture is not acceptable. Yet, if the whole thing is a fiction, can't it be taken as fair?
This may be where people will have problems. I have seen Christian writers who develop fictional stories from the Bibles plot making it more relatable taking care to remain on the original track.
The problem is when someone veers off, trying to rewrite history, develop a spinoff series or something
Christians may have problems with that

But really, just how much freedom does a writer have with the original plot?
What's considered fair?
I am Christian and I have no problem with fictional stories about the Bible, as long as the authors make it clear that they are fictional and make no claim to authenticity. Religious texts will always be talked about and interpreted. These interpretations will always be embodied and contextualized in the societies through which they travel. This is inevitable and I have no problem with that. As long as the core messages of Christianity are left intact, which I think they often are in these fictional stories, I do not see it as offensive or unrighteous.

Growing up, I was often told stories about the Bible and saints which I am sure were heavily "fictionalized," but the purpose behind it was always to bring me closer to God in a way that was suitable to my age. I think everything is considered fair as long as there are no claims to authenticity to the Scriptures and the core Christian values are not altered. After all, do we not see images of Jesus and saints that might not be even close to reality? And have they not contributed to us feeling closer to them and enhancing our spirituality?
I agree, but what if the stories in the Bible are literally real?what if? I mean anything is possible, and it could even make much more sense that they were literal than being something alien. Plus it would make sense in that time. When the Greeks said they believed in Gods, they didn’t mean they believed in metaphors, they actually believed in Medusa! To put an example. I am a very skeptical person but who’s to say? Earth exists and that’s pretty crazy.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

The author states explicitly that his book is fiction, and that he in no way intends for the book to be considered as intended as an addendum to the bible.

I believe the bible is exactly as it should be. Although I do think it is possible some details may have been lost through the years in translatoon.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It is my belief that the Bible is complete. By that I mean, everything that God wanted included was included. Of course there's a lot that was left out but the scriptures in there are sufficient. Look up 2Tim. 3 Verses 16 for further reading.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

This book is a work of fiction that borrows its storyline from Biblical scriptures. It is not just to compare a book written by man and that written by people inspired by the Holy spirit.
Dorcdebie13+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dorcdebie13+ »

Left for me, I think comparing the Bible to fiction is insulting. A fiction is a figment of one's imagination. It's just like writing your autobiography at 50. You are writing to either share your life or just teach others one or two things. An average person will take it as just another story, a good friend will take it as a section of the writer's life and the writer himself will see it as an incomplete attempt of his life since he is still living. We should take the Bible as God's way of revealing a part of his former life seeing that he's not dead and therefore still has more to add. We should therefore anticipate Jesus' coming back so as to hear the remaining part of the story
Adesola+-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adesola.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adesola+- »

The bible of a certainty complete. It's written based on God's inspiration to His servants.
77way
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 77way »

Bibble is God words and was created for Christian people to get knowing about more God Words and have to do in Christian life. Bibble has more important experience and history of life since Adam & Eve untill Jesus Christ have came to the world or from Genesis to Revelation was representative God Words which it is a formula of Christian rule from God, and for the understand ing about the bibble, we must reading deepening Bibble.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

Possibly so. We already know some books that were removed from the Bible ( canonical books) . There are also the lost books of Enoch among others.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I wouldn’t consider it writing after notes to the Bible as the book is not presented as an addition to the Bible or a replacement. It is a fictional book. I also do not believe the Bible is incomplete. I believe there are stories up to interpretation, but not open for additional information.
Primetjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primetjay.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Primetjay »

The Bible is complete.. remember do not add or remove.
However any other extrapolation could be a means of driving in the point from the authors point of view.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I don’t believe the Bible is incomplete. People who write about characters in the Bible and add to the story usually try to be faithful to the source. Francine Rivers is an example of this when she wrote about different women in the Bible.
77way
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 77way »

I think bible is God words and the Christian rules which have to follow in Christian life everyday. Bible have representative God words by His people who have chosen to proven that God love us, God really been together with us, He never far away from us. God bless you all. :tiphat:
Nana2_
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Nana2_ »

Well i am not sure about the Bible being complete or not but what we need to focus on is what's in there that the Lord has given to us through his scriptures
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

What I know is that, there is more of the bible in its original language than the translated one made available. The apocryphal book and others were not made available till later, and I'm sure there's more of it hidden somewhere. Either way,the one available is enough to move through life so long as the Spirit leads.
:D I believe in love

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”