Do you enjoy solving the mystery before the characters?

For May 2020 we'll be reading Mystery/Thriller books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Do you enjoy solving the mystery before the characters?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Sometimes, in a mystery, authors can keep the reader guessing until the end, but there are definitely times when readers can figure out the mystery before the characters do.
  • How do you feel about this?
  • Does it frustrate you? Entertain you? Does not change your opinion of the book?
  • Do you prefer knowing before the characters or would you rather figure it out as the characters do?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I would actually prefer to solve the mystery as the characters do and not know the solution until the end. Otherwise, I become frustrated at the characters who can't figure out the mystery themselves.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

I usually solve the mystery not only before the character but also before other readers. lol
There are, however, books that keep me thinking right 'till the end.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

tjportugal wrote: 02 May 2020, 13:22 I usually solve the mystery not only before the character but also before other readers. lol
Sounds like you're really good at solving mysteries! :) How do you about being able to solve the mystery before the end of the book?

It's nice, though, that there are some books that keep you guessing until the end!

Thank you for sharing! :D
Heidi

Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

Not really. If I discover something before the characters it usually means that the book is predictable.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

hsimone wrote: 03 May 2020, 07:17
tjportugal wrote: 02 May 2020, 13:22 I usually solve the mystery not only before the character but also before other readers. lol
Sounds like you're really good at solving mysteries! :) How do you about being able to solve the mystery before the end of the book?

It's nice, though, that there are some books that keep you guessing until the end!

Thank you for sharing! :D
I feel I'm Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot.

For example, you wrote "How do you about being able to solve the (...)". Between the words «you» and «about», there seems to be a word missing, probably a verb. Since you are a girl - and women prefer to look at feelings rather than other aspects of human psychology - I would say that the missing word is «feel», as in "How do you feel about being able to solve the (...)".

:tiphat:
"To a great mind, nothing is little, remarked Holmes, sententiously." - Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet
:tiphat:
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
molivas24
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-molivas24.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by molivas24 »

This question caused a lot of problems between me and my now husband over the years! He likes to solve it beforehand, and discuss it before the ending. I cannot stand that! I don't like to think about it, and I like to find out when the characters do. This especially goes when we watch a movie or tv show. For reading, it is easier since we read separately from each other, but it is still somewhat frustrating.
However, sadly to report, I have found that I started doing this sometimes when I watch a television show, and I hate myself for it :cry:
For books, however, I don't really do this, I am happy to report :D
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I rather figure it out when the characters do, otherwise your just waiting and waiting for them to figure out what you already know.
Moon Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moon-park.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by Moon Park »

I sort of enjoy solving the mystery before the characters, I don't have a control over it. My intuition helps in in this case. But I really enjoy it and it does not change my opinion about the book at all.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

I like the feeling of accomplishment of having guessed the solution before the character did. But I'm not particularly good at solving mysteries, so if I've actually 100% solved it before the end, then the book is too predictable and gets kind of boring. I enjoy being surprised by well-written plot twists too, so I guess it just depends.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossroads by Andrew Slac
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I feel that, if the book is longer, if the story is engaging, I am likely to attempt to try to figure out the probable ending to the story. One of the books that I reviewed had me thinking so much, but then added another twist that it kept me on my feet until the real outcome had occurred. I recommend"Killing My Best Friend" if you want a book that will have you thinking you know who was guilty of what and more. I was constantly changing my mind on it.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

Of course I prefer to figure out the mystery before the characters! I feel that it is a great aspect of mystery books. To me, this is the most fun part of reading it, and I feel ecstatic once I figure out that I am correct in my predictions/answer. I also find it entertaining to read about how the characters come to figure it out too.

Mystery books are very beautiful in the sense that they are thought-provoking and test your problem-solving skills, if you wish to solve the mystery before the characters do.
Ann+52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ann+52 »

I like both. I have a preference to being able to solve the mystery only slightly before the characters. This way I feel smarter but maintain my interest to see the characters put the puzzle together and reach the same conclusion.
Alexandra1234
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra1234.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Alexandra1234 »

I prefer to solve the mystery at the end alongside the characters. There has been times when I figured out everything before the ending, and that really frustrates me. I like the feeling of being gobsmacked before putting the book down. :D
'' A book is a dream you hold in your hand.'' - Neil Gaiman
blackpinkpurple
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackpinkpurple.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by blackpinkpurple »

I love reading mystery books and even more so predicting the end. I like trying to figure out the mystery before the author reveals it at last. That is the reason why people read mystery books, to have something to solve. It is a puzzle and even if I am guessing what the end is going to be, I don’t want to be correct. Correctly predicting the end makes the mystery too easy and that is not a good sign for the author. It will annoy me and make me think that the author has not done a good job of storytelling as a mystery author should have. I will deem the book straight forward and think twice before picking another book of that genre from that author. Writing a mystery book is a complicated affair; you have to keep the audience guessing as well as not reveal the mystery too soon. I prefer guessing the end with the characters. Reading a book is a journey and in this journey I would like to be on the same page as the characters.

Return to “May 2020 Genre Discussion”