Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Post by AlphasFemale »

Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that dose not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
In no way am I against anyone's personal beliefs I just am looking at ways that this book might help those who are not part of said communities and who have no interest in joining one. I know stuff like this is a controversial or "hot topic" so please do not think that I am trying to upset anyone.
I am interested in the opinions of others who have came reading this book for the same reasons. Who else here dose not subscribe to the Christian way of life and yet have found this book to be enjoyable and or helpful?
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

I'm also noon-religious. I haven't read this book yet, I've been debating it strongly because it seems like it has a powerful message, but I'm just not that familiar with the Bible. I think we could probably both learn from the book by looking less at the specifics of the stories and more at the general message.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I too am non-religious and not familiar with the Bible! However, the common theme in most religious books is goodness in human beings, kindness, being helpful, to bear a crisis or suffering with grace and fortitude. I agree with the previous comment that most readers would probably enjoy the book by looking less at specifics and more at the general message.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

AlphasFemale wrote: 28 May 2020, 15:52 Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that dose not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
In no way am I against anyone's personal beliefs I just am looking at ways that this book might help those who are not part of said communities and who have no interest in joining one. I know stuff like this is a controversial or "hot topic" so please do not think that I am trying to upset anyone.
I am interested in the opinions of others who have came reading this book for the same reasons. Who else here dose not subscribe to the Christian way of life and yet have found this book to be enjoyable and or helpful?
I think the best answer will give you someone who is not religious but has read the book. However, I am not that person but I do wish to discuss this topic. I found it very interesting. If I have learned anything in my reading history is that reading is very subjective. So we may not have a "correct" or specific answer to your question. Maybe the best is for you to try to read it and see it for yourself.

My opinion is that better understanding of this book will have all readers who have some kind of religion or are spiritual beings. This book is heavily inspired by faith. So I am not sure how beneficial would that be for someone who doesn't have it. Now, I don't think you have to be heavily religious person.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

AlphasFemale wrote: 28 May 2020, 15:52 Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that dose not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
There is a story about anxiety in there. I believe the one who told it was named Frank. It was interesting to view it from his point of view and the way that it is discussed. I could in a way relate to that story. Now how helpful that is? I don't know. And that is my honest opinion. I am very curious what you will think of the book and I hope it will be helpful.
Happy reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Manali_DC wrote: 29 May 2020, 03:26 I too am non-religious and not familiar with the Bible! However, the common theme in most religious books is goodness in human beings, kindness, being helpful, to bear a crisis or suffering with grace and fortitude. I agree with the previous comment that most readers would probably enjoy the book by looking less at specifics and more at the general message.
I agree. But you have to be open to it!! I would say all you mentioned I would say too. With the add on that, all readers can find hope in this book. Have you read this book?
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

Apart from the religious aspect of the book,there are basic lessons to be learnt on how to stay strong and also deal with issues which is of great benefit too.
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

I haven't read the book yet, but I don't think you need to be a religious person to be able to enjoy the book. I've read the sample, and I think that the lessons in the book can be applied to everyone's life even if you're not religious :)
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

AlphasFemale wrote: 28 May 2020, 15:52 Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for an online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that does not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
I am interested in the opinions of others who have come reading this book for the same reasons. Who else here does not subscribe to the Christian way of life and yet have found this book to be enjoyable and or helpful?
I feel the same way. I don't believe in such things and also I don't find faults with the people who are religious.
The lesson I learned is, doing good things would help us get good things.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

Anyone can conveniently read, enjoy, and learn great lessons from this book. It all depends on perception; what one focuses on, enlarges. Read it with an open mind and a lot will be gleaned from it. Happy reading!
Lorpanor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorpanor »

I am a religious person, but I found the message to be boring after a while. I think I was expecting something that would challenge my faith. I did find the stories encouraging. I think I agree with others that it is about your perception with this book and what experiences you have gone through
Free-man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-free-man.html
Latest Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song by Brian Kaufman

Post by Free-man »

I believe it is okay for people to be a non believer, yet read this book. But that I do believe is that. This book is suppose to get you connected to to it's spirutual direction. This is because, it is well packed with lots of powerful words that should drive ones mind and heart to God. My own opinion.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nkoo wrote: 29 May 2020, 14:17 Anyone can conveniently read, enjoy, and learn great lessons from this book. It all depends on perception; what one focuses on, enlarges. Read it with an open mind and a lot will be gleaned from it. Happy reading!
Yeah, I think you summed up my rambling pretty well. I agree with you.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Free-man wrote: 29 May 2020, 19:01 I believe it is okay for people to be a non believer, yet read this book. But that I do believe is that. This book is suppose to get you connected to to it's spirutual direction. This is because, it is well packed with lots of powerful words that should drive ones mind and heart to God. My own opinion.
So do you think one should have somewhat spirituality if not a religion to "get" this book?
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I have been somewhat religious quite many years so I have absolutely no idea what it feels like to read this book for someone who's not religious. It would be interesting to hear how it was, once you're done with the reading! Anyway, quite many of the laws and rules of our society come from the Bible and christian faith. Also the idea of what is good and what is bad in humans is more or less based on the Bible. This being said, I believe there are aspects in this book that also give great value to a person who is not religious. Naturally I might also be wrong with my reasoning... :D If you read the book, please do tell how it was! :techie-studyinggray:
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”