Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Re: Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Grace Bela wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 15:22
Zoe Luh wrote: 28 May 2020, 16:01 I'm also noon-religious. I haven't read this book yet, I've been debating it strongly because it seems like it has a powerful message, but I'm just not that familiar with the Bible. I think we could probably both learn from the book by looking less at the specifics of the stories and more at the general message.
With all of the Scriptural references and personal stories in this book, I don't think readers have to be too familiar with the Bible as long as they know a little bit about the Christian faith.
No not at all. I found it easy to read and understand and the scripture was just a supplement for me. I only remember what I was taught growing up.
Yasmira_M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmira-m.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Yasmira_M »

I'm not Christian so the book had some aspects that I don't agree with but there are also some parts of it that were really inspiring
Mutai_
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Mutai_ »

There's much that Christians learn from this book. However, an open-minded non- Christian can pick up tremendous lessons from it
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AlphasFemale »

So I have just finished the book (sorry it took so long) and I have found that while it is very heavily focused on religion and God in general there are a lot of really good lessons to be had from this book. I found the sections for personal reflection to be an amazing resource not matter what someone's religious preferences are. There were even a few stories that I was able to relate to in the pages. I will admit though that there were some things in the book that I did not agree with but to each their own and when reading personal stories of others you have to expect and accept that you might not agree with everything being said. Overall I would recommend it to anyone going though a crisis as it can give them hope and it shows that it is possible to overcome any challenge you are faced with.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

You may not be religious (nor am I) but we're still human, right? Go into it with an open mind and look for the overall message. From what I've read there seems to be some stories you can relate to. And a lot of learning from what we read is finding something/someone to relate to as imperfect humans roaming around. I hope you read it and get something out of it!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

If I were a non religious person, I would still have read this book. I say so because, it isn't all about religion. The stories in this book asides faith, teaches determination, perseverance, foresight and maximizing opportunities. So, yes, non religious people can read it.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Apart from the religious factor, there are various life lessons and deepers meanings scattered in layers throughout the books which makes it a descent piece for a non- religious person too.,🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Lydia Matson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Odyssey
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-matson.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lydia Matson »

I am a religious person, and I enjoyed Grace Revealed, but I think anyone can enjoy and learn from it as well. Some may be turned off to it because of negative experiences with Christianity (no judgment, to each their own!), but I think even if you don't agree with the values you can still learn from it. If anything, you can understand more where people are coming from when they offer to pray for you, or if they personally experienced God's grace in the midst of a crisis, and so on. If it's not your cup of tea, however, that's completely understandable!
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 30 May 2020, 06:44 I have been somewhat religious quite many years so I have absolutely no idea what it feels like to read this book for someone who's not religious. It would be interesting to hear how it was, once you're done with the reading! Anyway, quite many of the laws and rules of our society come from the Bible and christian faith. Also the idea of what is good and what is bad in humans is more or less based on the Bible. This being said, I believe there are aspects in this book that also give great value to a person who is not religious. Naturally I might also be wrong with my reasoning... :D If you read the book, please do tell how it was! :techie-studyinggray:
Well, I took quite a deep glimpse of the book. The author used His incredible imaginations to fill in possible spaces in the Bible, in the book of Genesis; furthermore, the author did not change any context of the Bible. The book sounds theological but it is fictional.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I do not think that a person has to be religious in order to enjoy or benefit from the book Grace Revealed. There seems to valuable lessons on kindness and personal and emotional wellness. It’s something I think anyone with a need to self-improve will like to read.
MissJill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by MissJill »

As someone who has been thrust into a multitude of different religions by a strange upbringing, I really have come to appreciate books that center on religious characters and religion from a humanistic, rather than specific, standpoint. They're often about personal trials that someone is going through-- crisis of faith and love-- and specific religious context can sometimes fade out into more metaphorical or worldly situations.

Everyone can relate to stories with humanity at its core, so I say everyone should give this a try.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

An important thing while reading a book is to withhold all kinds of biasness you might feel before you might read it. It is true that some books are dedicated to a religious audience but some experiences might be relatable and you might actually find solutions within.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I think Grace Revealed doesn't have to be a book read by religious people. If people allow it, it can be a book that will make them more informed and knowledgeable of the beliefs of other people.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

After reading this book, as someone who was raised as Christian but is non-religious in my adult life, I really think this book can be something different to different people. You can take away pieces of the book and its underlying themes and interpret them in a way that fits for you spiritually. While the book does specify Biblical verses the messages behind it can be beneficial to everyone whether you are religious or not. The only caution I would say for this book for a person that is non-religious is that the large number of Biblical verses may be overwhelming at times.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
do20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do20.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by do20 »

I have already read the reviews and comments though I haven't yet read the book. Personally, I think I would enjoy this book but having said so, I must add that I really understand your point of view. In fact, some readers may not enjoy some part of it.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”