I Beg to Differ.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: I Beg to Differ.

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

moowshiri wrote: 21 May 2020, 06:44 I think God both sees perfection in Jesus and also has an interest in us as individuals that's why in Matthew 5:48 He says "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."
It is a goal of how to be perfect. The perfect example is set and anyone can try to be upto whatever the extent that he/she can
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

blessing_bona wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:13 God sees our imperfections. But when we are in Christ, he sees the price that was paid. He sees our desires to be better. And he reaches out to save us from ourselves.
Yes, maybe the price is paid in full, so He may not be seeing our sins. Yet to save us, He needs to see us as individuals

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

reneelu1998 wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:47 I would have to agree with you. God cannot ignore our mistakes and sins. But through Jesus Christ we can be made spotless again, therefore (in my head at least) when we repent then our sins will be forgotten by God.
Repenting on your sins is a start to pay your sins, but you have to be a good person as well if you want to achieve perfection in His eyes

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

M Deedee wrote: 21 May 2020, 16:28 Jesus died to take our sins away. So from his death, we have received grace to be whole and spotless again. But that doesn't mean that we should continue in sin.
That is a great thought. It is true that Jesus Christ died for our sins, but that doesn't mean all the sins that we collect anew are already paid off

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Mounce574 wrote: 21 May 2020, 17:35 Honestly I think forgiveness is understood in Jeremiah 33:8, "I will cleanse them from all their iniquity by which they have sinned against Me, and I will pardon all their inequities by which they have sinned..." I also know Isaiah 43:25 states, "I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins." I think if we ask for forgiveness and honestly try not to repeat them that we will be forgiven and the sins erased. This particular book does an okay explanation of this but I found that reading actual scripture does more for me.
If you want to learn the spiritual way for perfection, actual scripture is the better choice. But this book shows some glimpse into that

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Lunastella wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:47 I agree with you. I think He sees us completely, flaws and all, and what makes His love outstanding is that He loves us and forgives us despite our flawed nature.
Loving someone despite his/her imperfections is the unconditional love. Still I think the God sees the faults and guides us to correct them

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Readerjorge wrote: 21 May 2020, 20:57 We were created in the image and likeness of God. However, we have free will to act and we must decide to act according to the Word and the teachings of God. The guide is the Bible.
The free will let us make our own decisions, and the religion is to guide us when we make those choices

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

gayscott wrote: 22 May 2020, 03:04 God sees us as individuals and he knows our faults and failures but all that is covered by the blood of Jesus. We are forgiven.But he still sees when we fail Him. That's why we are chastised ....to be more like Him.
That is the case that we have to keep.in mind. Whenever we sins, He sees that

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Clorinda Donovan wrote: 22 May 2020, 13:22 I totally agree because God made us and he knows our imperfections and wrong inclinations better than we know it ourselves. So yes I do beg to differ.
Yes, the creator knows His creation, so He sees us and remembers us individually

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Denise_Aluqah wrote: 22 May 2020, 19:51
Katherine Smith wrote: 22 May 2020, 17:38 I am not the most religious nor am I the best person to debate the meaning of God with on any topic. I think that God sees us as individuals with faults and sins, but when we accept Jesus in our lives those sins are washed away. I think that is what the author meant, but was unable to state it clearly in the book.
I agree. I think it is easy to misinterpret "God sees us as perfect in Christ" as "God sees us as a bunch of Jesus clones".
That is a nice way to put it in. We should not misinterpret the religious teachings

- Bill Gates -

ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

Surely everyone views religion in a different way, so everyone will have their own opinions about what God means or does not mean to them. Doesn't necessarily mean anyone is wrong.
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

ArriettyClock wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 04:57 Surely everyone views religion in a different way, so everyone will have their own opinions about what God means or does not mean to them. Doesn't necessarily mean anyone is wrong.
I've always really liked people who have this attitude. I think spirituality and faith show up in different people in different ways. Nobody can really know who is right and who is wrong, so it's always good to keep an open mind.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I see your point, and I agree. I also believe that God is aware of every aspect of our lives. He sees (and understands) all our sins and deeds. That's how I sense God.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

If God sees your imperfection, he won't be able to work with you. That was why Jesus came. Now, when he looks at you, he sees Jesus (perfection). This doesn't mean we are open to sin, it only means that the burden of sin is no longer placed on us.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

I think it means that while we look at ourselves and may see our own failures, scars and wrongdoing, God sees us as what he calls us to be. He sees us as redeemed, for if we come to him through Jesus, we are redeemed. But yes, God does see all those things in us, but maybe it means he doesn't define us by them the way we do ourselves.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”