Historical Fiction 2020 Suggestions

For April 2020 we'll be reading historical fiction.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Historical Fiction 2020 Suggestions

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Here's a place that we can share the books we feel do an exceptional job in the Historical Fiction genre!

Goodreads is also a good source to search for a potential read this month: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/historical-fiction
Also, don't forget the books that our book reviewers have reviewed on OBC: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewforum.php?f=63

:reading-4:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
JoyceShaugh
Currently Reading: e-Murderer
Bookshelf Size: 205

Post by JoyceShaugh »

The Last Letter From Juliet by Melanie Hudson is one of my favorite WWII historical fiction books. Although the editing was spotty, the author's compassion and sense of humor shone through. It tells the story of a female pilot who flies with the Air Transport Auxiliary and the RAF between Cornwall and occupied France. The other point of view is a contemporary woman who agrees to visit her uncle in Cornwall. She's a grieving young widow who hasn't been able to start a new life and finds inspiration in the memoirs of the pilot, Juliet. Juliet is now 100, and the two meet. The story unfolds as a testament to women's rights and the spirit of living that we all sometimes fail to heed. I loved this story and intend to read other books by this talented writer!
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

Does anyone have historical fiction suggestions for books in non-western settings? (Asia, Africa, Russia, Australia, etc.) I think I've had my fill of historical fiction books about the Civil War, lol. Also, whenever I think of historical fiction, I think of young adult books or romances. Any suggestions that don't fall into these categories? I used to enjoy historical fiction, but I haven't read any for a long while because it became rather tropey, probably because I was picking the wrong books.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

When I was younger, I read a lot of historical fiction books about the Holocaust. My suggestions would be more YA, like The Book Thief or Number the Stars. I also loved A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner. I'm not sure if those two really count since part of the book is modern, but it goes back in time as well.
brendanwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendanwhite.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by brendanwhite »

NatRose wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 20:52 Does anyone have historical fiction suggestions for books in non-western settings? (Asia, Africa, Russia, Australia, etc.) I think I've had my fill of historical fiction books about the Civil War, lol. Also, whenever I think of historical fiction, I think of young adult books or romances. Any suggestions that don't fall into these categories? I used to enjoy historical fiction, but I haven't read any for a long while because it became rather tropey, probably because I was picking the wrong books.
The War That Saved My Life?
blackpinkpurple
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackpinkpurple.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by blackpinkpurple »

NatRose wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 20:52 Does anyone have historical fiction suggestions for books in non-western settings? (Asia, Africa, Russia, Australia, etc.) I think I've had my fill of historical fiction books about the Civil War, lol. Also, whenever I think of historical fiction, I think of young adult books or romances. Any suggestions that don't fall into these categories? I used to enjoy historical fiction, but I haven't read any for a long while because it became rather tropey, probably because I was picking the wrong books.
I haven't read any only historical fiction book so far. I recommend The Blossom and the Firefly by Sherri L Smith. It’s a powerful WWII romance between 2 Japanese teenagers with painful pasts. Its historical and young adult fiction.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

brendanwhite wrote: 12 May 2020, 07:42
The War That Saved My Life?
Thanks for the suggestion!
blackpinkpurple wrote: 19 May 2020, 16:48 I haven't read any only historical fiction book so far. I recommend The Blossom and the Firefly by Sherri L Smith. It’s a powerful WWII romance between 2 Japanese teenagers with painful pasts. Its historical and young adult fiction.
Sounds good, I'll check it out. Thank you!

Return to “April 2020 Genre Discussion”