Chatton's religious beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Re: Chatton's religious beliefs

Post by rahilshajahan »

Bothofus07 wrote: 22 May 2020, 13:03 I had some of these same thoughts. Early in the story, Chatton seemed to be just another one-dimensional stereotype of a religious hypocrite. At least he redeemed himself somewhat by helping Kata, and maybe we can assume that his eyes were opened to the moral consequences of his behavior.
I agree with you. He knew deep inside that the torture, the training and everything to do with the Projects was wrong; it might've been his conscience or his religious beliefs talking. There's a scene where he is dumbstruck at Kata quoting Bible, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'. I think this was a very important scene in the book.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

I think he was brainwashed like Tau and Kata to a point. Though deep inside, he felt it was wrong, he also felt it necessary to achieve the end goal. Only when things became really bad did he step forward but not strongly enough. He just wasn't a strong enough person.
Banette
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banette.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Banette »

I had interpreted Chatton as not enjoying the violence but believing that some of it was necessary and then further justifying it by convincing himself that the Projects weren't human. I don't think he's really a bad person at heart, but he definitely got swept up into believing GenTech's lies about the projects. Had someone presented an argument for clone rights before he was convinced by GenTech I think he would have been an advocate for better treatment of clones, both in the facility and out.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”