Why did Renfield go into the Mason's office the second time?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Marlaszw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlaszw.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Why did Renfield go into the Mason's office the second time?

Post by Marlaszw »

I don't understand what intent Renfield had with going into Mason's office the second time. At that point, he knew that he was dealing with someone who was willing to destroy human life to get what he wanted. And he had already been in the office to uncover any evidence that he could. So, what drove him to go in there? What could he have possibly thought he could accomplish with a second visit?
[MagicDragonInc]
Currently Reading: Dagger's Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicdragoninc.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by [MagicDragonInc] »

Marlaszw wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 20:55 I don't understand what intent Renfield had with going into Mason's office the second time. At that point, he knew that he was dealing with someone who was willing to destroy human life to get what he wanted. And he had already been in the office to uncover any evidence that he could. So, what drove him to go in there? What could he have possibly thought he could accomplish with a second visit?
You know, I found myself thinking the same thing after reading that! I was also thinking, why didn't Amy, the secretary who was pregnant with Renfield's child, warn him that Mason and Dennison were in there??? She did push him back a little but why didn't she tell him before he went in? Also, the first time he went in, Mason caught him shuffling through his paperwork? Why didn't Amy warn him that Mason was coming back during that time too?? I didn't quite believe that Renfield had died when he did. I mean I know she is supposed to remain discrete but c'mon Amy!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Exactly!!! And Amy warned him! She was so hesitant to open the door for him again. Maybe Renfield didn't care? He's an intelligent man and nowhere near stupid... so why did he do it? He had a bit of a temper, so I guess he was in a fit of passion and saw the bigger picture rather than his own life.

And I also wonder why Amy didn't get in trouble the second time she opened it? If I remember correctly, Mason knew. Who else has access to his office other than him? His secretary! I am not so sure at all.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Pretty certain that Renfield was looking for Kalin's citizenship id card, the thing that would prove he was human (not a project) and get him the protection of his home planet.
As for the second time opening the door, pretty certain Amy was under orders to let him in, and under surveillance to make sure she didn't warn him.
Of course Mason knew who let Renfield in the office. The entire place was under surveillance. Remember, that's how Kata knew everything that went on to tell the story.
kdhutchinson
Favorite Book: Dayscapers
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdhutchinson.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by kdhutchinson »

I also saw it as a fit of passion on Renfield's part. He thought that Mason was fooled by his earlier act and after talking to Kata he was worked up. As to why Amy let him in, she probably assumed that they would get to him either way. I agree it was a weaker moment in the plot, though.

My question is, why was he so certain his office was not being monitored, if it obviously was? Dennison and Mason both had overheard everything said between him and Kalin, even though he thought that wasn't possible. :eusa-think:
“All this happened, more or less.”
-Kurt Vonnegut
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

esp1975 wrote: 11 May 2020, 19:51 Pretty certain that Renfield was looking for Kalin's citizenship id card, the thing that would prove he was human (not a project) and get him the protection of his home planet.
As for the second time opening the door, pretty certain Amy was under orders to let him in, and under surveillance to make sure she didn't warn him.
Of course Mason knew who let Renfield in the office. The entire place was under surveillance. Remember, that's how Kata knew everything that went on to tell the story.
I can agree with your explanation about why Renfield went back in the office and Amy's subtle warning. However, it does seem like Renfield took an unnecessary risk by going back and ignoring the warning signs that Amy was trying to give him. He took precautions like setting up timed emails, so it seems like maybe he was resigned to the fact that he wouldn't make it out alive. I just think he could have tried a little harder not to get caught.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

esp1975 wrote: 11 May 2020, 19:51 Pretty certain that Renfield was looking for Kalin's citizenship id card, the thing that would prove he was human (not a project) and get him the protection of his home planet.
I was thinking the same thing. He requires the ID to save Kata with some dignity. Otherwise, he has to leash him and that idea was repulsive to Kalin.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

[MagicDragonInc] wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 00:34
Marlaszw wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 20:55 I don't understand what intent Renfield had with going into Mason's office the second time. At that point, he knew that he was dealing with someone who was willing to destroy human life to get what he wanted. And he had already been in the office to uncover any evidence that he could. So, what drove him to go in there? What could he have possibly thought he could accomplish with a second visit?
You know, I found myself thinking the same thing after reading that! I was also thinking, why didn't Amy, the secretary who was pregnant with Renfield's child, warn him that Mason and Dennison were in there??? She did push him back a little but why didn't she tell him before he went in? Also, the first time he went in, Mason caught him shuffling through his paperwork? Why didn't Amy warn him that Mason was coming back during that time too?? I didn't quite believe that Renfield had died when he did. I mean I know she is supposed to remain discrete but c'mon Amy!
Amy was being watched by Mason and Dennison to make sure she did what they said. She wasn't even sure that Renfield would have listened even if she told him outright. As she later says, warning him "was more likely to catapult him straight into that office."

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”