Kalin turns into Project Kata

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Kalin turns into Project Kata

Post by jdsatosk »

One of the things that really thew me for a loop in Project Tau was the scene after Kalin submits and calls himself Project Kata. Kalin remains just as sassy and difficult as ever in his dealings with the scientists, yet he now is brainwashed into thinking that he really is a Project? I think that if the scientists were able to successfully brainwash Kalin into believing he was a Project that he would also believe he should be more amenable to training. I felt that the switch from Kalin to Project Kata was a little too sudden to believe when his attitude toward the scientists remained pretty much the same. What do you think? What details from the story support your opinion?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

jdsatosk wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 13:39 One of the things that really thew me for a loop in Project Tau was the scene after Kalin submits and calls himself Project Kata. Kalin remains just as sassy and difficult as ever in his dealings with the scientists, yet he now is brainwashed into thinking that he really is a Project? I think that if the scientists were able to successfully brainwash Kalin into believing he was a Project that he would also believe he should be more amenable to training. I felt that the switch from Kalin to Project Kata was a little too sudden to believe when his attitude toward the scientists remained pretty much the same. What do you think? What details from the story support your opinion?
I don't think he ever saw himself as Project Kata; I believe he was just trying to make the scientists believe he did. Based on the fact that he continued to try to get through to Project Tau, and never gave up on escaping, I think it was just a ploy so everyone would let down their guard.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

B Creech wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:35 I don't think he ever saw himself as Project Kata; I believe he was just trying to make the scientists believe he did. Based on the fact that he continued to try to get through to Project Tau, and never gave up on escaping, I think it was just a ploy so everyone would let down their guard.
I concur. Kalin is extremely intelligent. He probably just gave up because he knew who he was and always would. As long as he knew himself on the inside, what the scientists thought didn't matter as much. He decided to play their games... or let them think he was playing. I believe this is also a form of torture. For hours, he was asked the same question over and over again. For a moment I think it gave him a bit of brain damage, and he believed he was truly a Project, especially when he discovered the process of memory implants. But not for long.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sinclairess wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 11:17
B Creech wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:35 I don't think he ever saw himself as Project Kata; I believe he was just trying to make the scientists believe he did. Based on the fact that he continued to try to get through to Project Tau, and never gave up on escaping, I think it was just a ploy so everyone would let down their guard.
I concur. Kalin is extremely intelligent. He probably just gave up because he knew who he was and always would. As long as he knew himself on the inside, what the scientists thought didn't matter as much. He decided to play their games... or let them think he was playing. I believe this is also a form of torture. For hours, he was asked the same question over and over again. For a moment I think it gave him a bit of brain damage, and he believed he was truly a Project, especially when he discovered the process of memory implants. But not for long.
Yes, that is a form of torture! I am anxious to read the next book and see what is happening with Tau and Kata!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

I could see Kalin believing it the first time due to the exhaustion and mental torture , but wouldn't he come to his senses after a night of rest? Or it could have been Kalin capitulating to fool the scientists into believing that he knew he was a Project - like B. Creech said. However, I felt like I kept seeing Kalin believe it more and more and I think that the author wants us to believe that he believes it more and more. The author (and Kalin himself) stops calling Kalin by his name and refers to him as Project Kata in all settings - not just with the scientists. Then in the scene where Renfield brings Kalin into his office to confess he believes Kalin about who he is, Kalin takes some convincing to believe he is not actually a Project. However, I do concede that Kalin could have been holding out to make sure that Renfield was not playing mind games with him.
vagrimes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vagrimes.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by vagrimes »

I also think that Kalin likely gave in that first night because of sheer exhaustion and having the same question repeated to him again and again, but I agree that after that initial night the timeframe of the book made it seem like he started to believe he was Project Kata much too quickly. It makes you wonder how strong brainwashing tactics are and if they could really make someone believe their entire life wasn't real. It is also telling that the Kata needed external validation from Renfield before he started to believe himself again.

It opens up the question of brainwashing tactics used on Project Tau. We know Kalin was brainwashed, but it is on the same level if someone starts from a blank slate as Project Tai did?
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

jdsatosk wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 13:57 I could see Kalin believing it the first time due to the exhaustion and mental torture , but wouldn't he come to his senses after a night of rest? Or it could have been Kalin capitulating to fool the scientists into believing that he knew he was a Project - like B. Creech said. However, I felt like I kept seeing Kalin believe it more and more and I think that the author wants us to believe that he believes it more and more. The author (and Kalin himself) stops calling Kalin by his name and refers to him as Project Kata in all settings - not just with the scientists. Then in the scene where Renfield brings Kalin into his office to confess he believes Kalin about who he is, Kalin takes some convincing to believe he is not actually a Project. However, I do concede that Kalin could have been holding out to make sure that Renfield was not playing mind games with him.
It could go both ways though, couldn't it? I mean, I didn't believe that Dennison had succeeded in converting Kalin that first time, exhausted as the young man was. He could have said it to stop the torture. But as you've rightly said, the author and Kalin himself called him Project Kata a lot as the story wore on. Not to mention the length of time he'd been in the facility for... It got to a point that I began to think that he really was changing and losing himself to the project. On the other hand, he is portrayed as a thinker, intelligent and strong-willed. So he very well could have been faking it. Maybe that scene in Renfield's office was an example of that. Or maybe it was the jolt Kalin needed to get his mind back on track. So which is it? Faking or changing? I can't help but wonder what would happen if he was locked up for longer...
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

So I think he did believe he was a Project. Kalin was there for well over a month by that point. And all these scientists are repeatedly telling you "You were born in a lab, you have memory implants, your just like Tau." when everyone around you is saying the same thing, you tend to believe it. As far as Kata still being angry at the scientists, that comes down to nature vs nurture. Now think of Tau as all nurture, no nature. He was easy to train to be obedient, because he didn't have a past. But Kata, he's been alive for 18 years. He has a lot of past experience that is going to effect how he acts, no matter what he believes he is. He still has 18 years of life that shaped him. He remembers what freedom is, whether he believes that freedom was real or not. Tau was born a blank slate 6 months ago.
zhenya_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhenya-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by zhenya_reads »

To me it seemed like the scientists broke him. He no longer saw any point in fighting and contradicting them. I think he just made peace with where he was and even though he knew he was originally not a project - they managed to turn him into one.
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

I think the brainwashing really did a whole lot of damage on his brain, but he is intelligent i must say. He must have his own plans.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I think he was brainwashed and forced to take on a new identity, he is what he is nonetheless and even science and manipulations didn't steal that from him
BrittanyHorne2020
Currently Reading: The Third Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanyhorne2020.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by BrittanyHorne2020 »

I feel it was made pretty clear the only reason Kalin said he was Project Kata was because he was so tired. I mean yeah he started to doubt the truth of what he believed. I do not think he ever truly believed he was always a project he just realized that whatever he was at the start after being locked up, tortured, and modified he was a different person now. Maybe not even really a person.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

B Creech wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:35
jdsatosk wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 13:39 One of the things that really thew me for a loop in Project Tau was the scene after Kalin submits and calls himself Project Kata. Kalin remains just as sassy and difficult as ever in his dealings with the scientists, yet he now is brainwashed into thinking that he really is a Project? I think that if the scientists were able to successfully brainwash Kalin into believing he was a Project that he would also believe he should be more amenable to training. I felt that the switch from Kalin to Project Kata was a little too sudden to believe when his attitude toward the scientists remained pretty much the same. What do you think? What details from the story support your opinion?
I don't think he ever saw himself as Project Kata; I believe he was just trying to make the scientists believe he did. Based on the fact that he continued to try to get through to Project Tau, and never gave up on escaping, I think it was just a ploy so everyone would let down their guard.
I absolutely agree. I think the entire time, Kalin was working out a plan of escape. His submission was a nice front to keep the scientists of suspecting him.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

pshaw1414 wrote: 20 May 2020, 10:59
B Creech wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:35
I absolutely agree. I think the entire time, Kalin was working out a plan of escape. His submission was a nice front to keep the scientists of suspecting him.
Absolutely, and he seemed to convince the scientists!
B. Creech
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think Kalin was always thinking about and planning his escape. He opposed Dennison and irritated him until Dennison finally sent him to Mason - just what Kata wanted all along! He learned to manipulate the scientists. He was able to gain access to the computers and program them by feigning to be a simpleton. He let the scientists see what they wanted to see. After all, they saw the projects as "intelligent animals." At one point, Kata even says to himself, "How dumb do they think I am?" He used that presupposition to his advantage. I don't believe he ever saw himself as a project.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”