Nature vs Nuture

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Leah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-m.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Re: Nature vs Nuture

Post by Leah M »

I am leaning more to nurture. Education awakened the conscience of Tau, and this allowed for the expression of human abilities embedded within him.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

This is a very interesting perspective. I believe it was nurture because to know what you want, you need to compare and realize what you're deprived of. You can't, in my opinion, arouse this emotion unless you can see that you can acquire what you want.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I think he would discovered want. Its something that has been debated with in non-humans for some time. Can anaiamls feel? And if they feel, do they want? Can viruses want? I think in order to want isn't so much understand what want is but be aware enough of your life and environment to make any decision. If they can, then they can want.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Tau reminds me of children living in abusive families. Often they do not even realize there is anything wrong with their life. It is just normal for them. They have to see a different way to want something else. Kata showed Tau that life could be different and taught him to think for himself.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think its nurture since Tau was not created based on nature. So the know-how has to be learned by someone that that is created by nature.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I think Kalin helped Tau figure out a lot of things he wouldn't have been able to on his own. I think it's a more of a social phenomenon.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

I think want is more of a social phenomenon that occurs when people show you what you don't have. For instance, if there was no one to ever show you some Lamborghini, chances are, you would never want it.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

SophiaNd wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 10:13 I believe Tau was influenced more by nurture. Being made in a Lab, Tau is likened to a new born baby who does everything by emulation and by what he or she is being told to believe. Whatever Tau did or believed was more as a result of nurture from Kalin and yes, he would have discovered what want is but that would be much later when he must have come in contact with another being to tell him otherwise.
I agree with you; it is the thing with every young being; he/she/it learns from others, whether it is someone he/she/it knows or not.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

B Creech wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 08:05
funninessishappiness wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 22:52 As we all know, Tau was created in a lab. Therefore, before Kalin, everything he knew was from the lab. One of the first things that Kalin asked Tau was "What about what you want to know." This causes Tau to ponder on the meaning of want. Before Kalin ever entered the picture do you think Tau would have eventually figured out what want is? Do you think want is a human emotion that would show itself regardless of the environment? Or do you think want is more of a social phenomenon that only occurs when others show you what you don't have? To put it simply, do you think it was nature or nurture that lead to the way Tau is now?
Nature vs Nurture has always fascinated me. I like to ponder which is the most dominant in a person and I usually always lean more toward nurture. I am a believer that we are primarily a product of our environment. That being said, I believe we are all born with wants and needs, however, we are mostly taught our needs outweigh our wants. As for Tau, I think he would have continued obeying what he'd been taught instead of wondering about what he wanted because his wants were not acknowledged by the scientists. I think it was nurture that made him the way he is now due to Kalin pursuing the subject with him. :eusa-think:
I agree that the idea of nature vs nurture is pretty interesting. I have been under the impression from person experience that how we were born and how we were raised both affects how we "turn out" in the end. That's why this book's premise is so intriguing!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

reneelu1998 wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:51
B Creech wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 08:05
funninessishappiness wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 22:52 As we all know, Tau was created in a lab. Therefore, before Kalin, everything he knew was from the lab. One of the first things that Kalin asked Tau was "What about what you want to know." This causes Tau to ponder on the meaning of want. Before Kalin ever entered the picture do you think Tau would have eventually figured out what want is? Do you think want is a human emotion that would show itself regardless of the environment? Or do you think want is more of a social phenomenon that only occurs when others show you what you don't have? To put it simply, do you think it was nature or nurture that lead to the way Tau is now?
Nature vs Nurture has always fascinated me. I like to ponder which is the most dominant in a person and I usually always lean more toward nurture. I am a believer that we are primarily a product of our environment. That being said, I believe we are all born with wants and needs, however, we are mostly taught our needs outweigh our wants. As for Tau, I think he would have continued obeying what he'd been taught instead of wondering about what he wanted because his wants were not acknowledged by the scientists. I think it was nurture that made him the way he is now due to Kalin pursuing the subject with him. :eusa-think:
I agree that the idea of nature vs nurture is pretty interesting. I have been under the impression from person experience that how we were born and how we were raised both affects how we "turn out" in the end. That's why this book's premise is so intriguing!
In the long run I believe both nature and nurture play a roll in how we turn out. I think it depends on the individual personality of a person as to which one plays the biggest roll. Two people can react to an identical situation in totally different ways.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

raindropreader wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 16:45 From what I know of social psychology, we humans can be made to want and to be believe things that we never would had it not been for the social conditioning. I never underestimate the power of social conditioning. Therefor I have to believe that he wouldn’t have searched or wanted for more- that he would’ve believed what the scientists told him.
I agree. I've seen some studies too, but also every day, more than ever, scientists point to how determining genetics (or nature, in this case) can be. So, I'm truly confused! :?
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I don't think wanting is necessarily in our nature. Need is, sure. But if a human in a perfect environment has all its needs met, why would it want for anything else?
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

"You don't miss what you have never had." I heard this quote many years ago and it has stuck with me ever since. That said, I doubt Tau would have known better than what his creators wanted him to know without Kalin in the picture.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

Northernbird84 wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 07:07 I think want comes from the nature aspect. There is always something inside us longing for something. Love, intimacy, survival, procreation. I think it's innate. Nature vs nurture is a really fascinating subject. Great question to ask!
I agree, I think that to want is a part of human nature. Now, what you can want changes based on the situation. Some wants can be basic like a want for a warmer blanket in the cold or so much more complex based on your own situation, but even people in the worst situations can still want.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
MorganKnightOfficial
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganknightofficial.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by MorganKnightOfficial »

My opinion is that our genes affect who we are more than our circumstances. Nature trumps nurture. It's a sad reality, but there are some things born into us that we simply cannot change. Interests are bred from genetically inherited talents. Inclinations towards certain emotions are genetic. In short: want is a human emotion, not a social phenomenon. Tau would have ended up this way, no matter what, because it was written in his DNA.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”