Renfield/Chatton relationship

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Realsy
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-realsy.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Renfield/Chatton relationship

Post by Realsy »

When you first get introduced to these two, Mason pairs them up to work on the new Project Kata. He feeds them both the story that Kata is a clone from another facility with memory implants. They are very different and dislike each other so you wonder what Mason was thinking. Then both decide through separate means that this was wrong and tried to atone for their mistake. Did anyone else find this interesting?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yes, I wondered why Mason paired them up on the same project, and especially the one with Kata as the clone. I think Reinfield was basically a good person and I don't think he ever agreed with how things were done with clones. Chatton finally figured it out, but it took him a lot longer. But, yes, I found the two of them being paired on that assignment interesting, I just haven't figured out what his motive was for doing so!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

B Creech wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 18:41 Yes, I wondered why Mason paired them up on the same project, and especially the one with Kata as the clone. I think Reinfield was basically a good person and I don't think he ever agreed with how things were done with clones. Chatton finally figured it out, but it took him a lot longer. But, yes, I found the two of them being paired on that assignment interesting, I just haven't figured out what his motive was for doing so!
I think they were paired up for his own entertainment.

I thought it was interesting that both of them figured out that what they were doing was wrong, but was a little sad that they didn’t figure that out with Tau alone. This revelation saved one and got the other killed.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 19:47
B Creech wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 18:41 Yes, I wondered why Mason paired them up on the same project, and especially the one with Kata as the clone. I think Reinfield was basically a good person and I don't think he ever agreed with how things were done with clones. Chatton finally figured it out, but it took him a lot longer. But, yes, I found the two of them being paired on that assignment interesting, I just haven't figured out what his motive was for doing so!
I think they were paired up for his own entertainment.

I thought it was interesting that both of them figured out that what they were doing was wrong, but was a little sad that they didn’t figure that out with Tau alone. This revelation saved one and got the other killed.
You are probably right, he paired them for his own entertainment! Mason was sadistic for sure! I wonder how Chatton will fit in to the next book!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

I think that they were paired up because it added a drama aspect to the story. One loves to cuss and one flinched if a cuss word was said. If it had been two employees who were very alike there wouldn’t have been any banter between them.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

raindropreader wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 17:01 I think that they were paired up because it added a drama aspect to the story. One loves to cuss and one flinched if a cuss word was said. If it had been two employees who were very alike there wouldn’t have been any banter between them.
Also, I think that the author wanted to show that even two very different personalities could come to the same conclusion - even from very different backgrounds and ethics perspectives- that something was very wrong with what was going on at that lab.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

raindropreader wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 17:01 I think that they were paired up because it added a drama aspect to the story. One loves to cuss and one flinched if a cuss word was said. If it had been two employees who were very alike there wouldn’t have been any banter between them.
jdsatosk wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 14:04 Also, I think that the author wanted to show that even two very different personalities could come to the same conclusion - even from very different backgrounds and ethics perspectives- that something was very wrong with what was going on at that lab.
Both of those are very good points. I think it definitely makes sense why the author would pair them up, but I'm still not sure what a good explanation might be in canon. Except that we don't actually know that much about Renfield and Chatton's abilities as scientists, so perhaps Mason paired them up because of their specialties or experience that would make them good handlers for Kata but simply weren't relevant to the story.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I think the Renfield/Chatton relationship was drafted by the author to further spice the drama in the story. They were both different and it was hard to see them working together but I think their pairing gave the story an interesting side with the different personalities and backgrounds
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I thought it made perfect sense that these two men, who strongly disliked each other, would be made the two lead scientists on this project. If they were friends, or even friendly, they might sit down and talk, compare notes, and much more quickly would likely have come to the realization that Kata was not a project. By placing two people who were likely never to talk to each other outside times when they were forced to, it helped keep all information siloed and prevented people from putting two and two together.
rdrumsey
Favorite Book: Korian
Currently Reading: Shadow Eclipse Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rdrumsey.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by rdrumsey »

Jajachris wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:39 I think the Renfield/Chatton relationship was drafted by the author to further spice the drama in the story. They were both different and it was hard to see them working together but I think their pairing gave the story an interesting side with the different personalities and backgrounds
I agree. But, the antagonistic relationship brought failure to communicate as an actual functioning team. Because of there extreme differences, they only seemed to communicate when they had to. In a normal situation, I feel they would have realized Kata was human.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

jdsatosk wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 14:04
Also, I think that the author wanted to show that even two very different personalities could come to the same conclusion - even from very different backgrounds and ethics perspectives- that something was very wrong with what was going on at that lab.
That is really interesting. I had not thought about the two people who worked most closely with the projects decided that what was happening was wrong.
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

I think they were paired so as to spice up the drama and entertainment in the book.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

the pairing of both personalities together made the book more interesting and entertaining.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

I think that Mason in his sadistic nature, knowing they both do not really agree paired them up for his amusement and entertainment. It made the book more interesting though.
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

It was probably because of Mason's cruel nature. They were opposites, and Mason probably knew. The pairing made the book interesting too.
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”