What do you think about GenTech putting Project Tau and Kata in the same cell

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What do you think about GenTech putting Project Tau and Kata in the same cell

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Being scientists, I think keeping Project Tau and Project Kata in the same cell is the single most foolish thing GenTech did. Dr Dennison was aware of Project Kata trying to corrupt Project Tau’s mind but he did not separate them. I wonder why :?: :?: :?:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

You bring up an interesting point. I never thought about that...

I'm sure GenTech's facility is quite large (they're rich and autonomous, after all), so space can't be an issue. They probably had more than enough space to put them in separate rooms. Dennison indeed knew Kata's influence on Tau... but the other scientists seemed to be either oblivious or not care. Perhaps they didn't think anyone would have a lasting effect on Projects except them, because they are the creators (in their minds).
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

They assumed the Projects will abide to the orders they give them. I remember when both Dennison and Mason were conversing when the Projects escaped, one of them said that the projects were trained to be obedient and be less harmful. Little did they know that tables would turn and jeopardize their mission.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't know, maybe they wanted to see just how much of an effect Kata would have on Tau. Would Tau stay true to the training he had been given to obey? Or would Kata be able to sway him enough to make him rebel against the scientists? :eusa-think:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I think placing Project Tau and Kata in the same cell, was a wrong move by GenTech because in the end, it jeopardized their mission. If only they knew...
Realsy
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-realsy.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Realsy »

I found this exceptionally odd. I mean, both Dennison and Mason knew that Kalin was human. Therefore he had no training to be obedient like Tau did. Did they really expect a human to be imprisoned for longer than agreed, undergo surgery/modifications without permission, and be repeatedly "handled" for everything from asking questions to actual physical attack? Did they really think he would break so quickly or that Tau would be able to "train" him? For scientists, ALL of them were really dumb. I don't think there was a single humane, smart scientist in the whole lot. Dennison was a sadist, Renfield and Chatton both had their dumb moments, the lesser scientist characters only named once or twice would act like children and stomp their feet when Kata would not work and immediately bring in handlers. I mean really guys. You brought this on yourself.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

He probably underestimated what the two were capable of. Even though he saw the influence Kata had on Tau, the core of his belief is that Projects are subhuman and can't think the way normal humans can. I'm finding there are a lot of characters who refuse to give up that belief, sometimes at the cost of their own lives.
zhenya_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhenya-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by zhenya_reads »

This is a very interesting question! Maybe the reason was that the only one who actually knew that Kata is in fact a human being, who can think for himself, was Mason. And Mason didn't seem to care too much about what exactly was going on - maybe he didn't even know that they were put into the same room. The other scientists thought that he was the same as Tau (even with his memory implants) and probably didn't even think about it. Although you make a very good point - why didn't they separate them once they saw what was happening? :eusa-think:
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I'm ducking my hands-off rule just this once, so I can sneak into this thread incognito (Ssh!) to say that this isn't a plot hole, and that there were actually several very logical and rather mundane reasons for the decision, if you read between the lines and think like Dennison. Though I admit I can't understand why anyone would want to do that last one :P

You didn't see me. I was never here.

*sneaks out again*
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

zhenya_reads wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 12:46 This is a very interesting question! Maybe the reason was that the only one who actually knew that Kata is in fact a human being, who can think for himself, was Mason. And Mason didn't seem to care too much about what exactly was going on - maybe he didn't even know that they were put into the same room. The other scientists thought that he was the same as Tau (even with his memory implants) and probably didn't even think about it. Although you make a very good point - why didn't they separate them once they saw what was happening? :eusa-think:
Can’t agree less
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I did think that it was a strange decision to keep them in the same cell and that keeping them together would not be in the best interests of GenTech, but I quickly dismissed this because I enjoyed the dynamic between Kata and Tau so much.

Thinking about it more though, the only one that did know that Kata was actually a human was Mason himself, someone proved to be incapable of running the facility, and the remaining doctors/researchers/employees must not have thought too much about keeping two Projects in the same room. Until recently, Projects had never been able to speak, and Projects never learned to disobey or even think for themselves. They had little to no reason to think that housing two together would cause any issue.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I think them sharing a room could of been used as a plot twist. Something like the experiment never ending and the scientists making observations of their interactions.
Barbara6886
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara6886.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Barbara6886 »

I think this has to do with people devaluing those they feel are inferior. GenTech thought they were superior and in control. Therefore, they saw no danger in allowing Tau and Kata to share quarters. Look back throughout history. How many societies that practiced slavery kept the slaves separated? They used mental manipulation and physical violence to control them. Uprisings were brutally put down. GenTech, like others who have tried to enslave people, miscalculated due to their own ego.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Barbara6886 wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 16:15 I think this has to do with people devaluing those they feel are inferior. GenTech thought they were superior and in control. Therefore, they saw no danger in allowing Tau and Kata to share quarters. Look back throughout history. How many societies that practiced slavery kept the slaves separated? They used mental manipulation and physical violence to control them. Uprisings were brutally put down. GenTech, like others who have tried to enslave people, miscalculated due to their own ego.
Very well stated, I agree. It is almost a new level of the sociological game the scientists play with the projects.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

I found myself questioning that right away! While the interaction between Kalin and Project Tau was one of my favorite parts of the story, I couldn't quite see it as realistic that the scientists would mix their experiments - especially if there were no cameras to monitor the two subjects in their room interacting alone. I was very skeptical and I thought it pretty convenient, but, after reading some of the comments on this discussion, I can see that it could be just another dehumanizing act to deprive the subjects of privacy. I guess it is just another way that the author is showing how unconcerned the handlers and scientists are about danger from the Projects - because they are not considered human.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”