Project Tau

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Project Tau

Post by Brenda Creech »

From the beginning, Project Tau was submissive to the scientists and did what they told him to do. Even when Kalin Taylor became his roommate, Project Tau still obeyed the scientists and still did not see anything wrong with his training. Only after Kalin kept questioning him, and trying to convince him that he was being abused did Tau begin to wonder and question himself. With that being said, did Project Tau seem more like a robot than a clone to anyone else?
To me, he did. Isn't a clone supposed to be the replica of another human, and if so, wouldn't he be able to think and reason on his own. Project Tau seemed "programmed" to me. What are your thoughts? I am very curious to see if I am missing the whole concept!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

It sort of goes into the creepiest aspects of the book. Think for example of feral children. Without guidance in their early years, some of these children never catch up to normal human behaviors. Tau didn't know any different.
You are right, Tau was programmed, but this is something you can do to humans as well! Experiments into these areas were done a lot in the early years of psychology... before we started to care about things like morality and ethics.
Even with Kalin, when he starts falling into the belief that he is a clone. The process known as "breaking" is actually used a lot in gangs and human trafficking. There is a limit to how much the human physique can take before it just accepts whatever brings less pain.

I'm sorry if this got super dark! I actually studied psychology and criminology and I found these aspects of the book super interesting!
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tavaiel26 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:27 It sort of goes into the creepiest aspects of the book. Think for example of feral children. Without guidance in their early years, some of these children never catch up to normal human behaviors. Tau didn't know any different.
You are right, Tau was programmed, but this is something you can do to humans as well! Experiments into these areas were done a lot in the early years of psychology... before we started to care about things like morality and ethics.
Even with Kalin, when he starts falling into the belief that he is a clone. The process known as "breaking" is actually used a lot in gangs and human trafficking. There is a limit to how much the human physique can take before it just accepts whatever brings less pain.

I'm sorry if this got super dark! I actually studied psychology and criminology and I found these aspects of the book super interesting!
Thanks for the insight! It is very interesting what can be done to the mind. I've been sort of freaked out since I saw a video on Youtube of the robot Sophie!! She is what I thought about when I first started reading this book. Tau reminded me of her, he was just more advanced. If you've never seen her check her out! To me she's scary!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Thanks for the insight! It is very interesting what can be done to the mind. I've been sort of freaked out since I saw a video on Youtube of the robot Sophie!! She is what I thought about when I first started reading this book. Tau reminded me of her, he was just more advanced. If you've never seen her check her out! To me she's scary!
I will check it out!! :D
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I don't think the title robot fits him because he was trained to be obedient to the scientists in the absence of someone to challenge his loyalty to the scientists. So when Kalin kept questioning him, he may have started to have some doubts about the training. Just like humans, they may seem okay with a certain way of lifestyle until somebody else with a different view about the lifestyle questions them, that's when they start having doubts about the lifestyle they are leading and decide to follow a new path introduced to them. For me Project Tau is a clone.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

I don't think Project Tau seemed like a robot because it is the questionings by Kalin that made him realize he is more human and that he can live freely without being controlled... This is part of what made him escape because he wanted to be free of mind!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Personally, I did not see him as a robot. I saw him as a child that had never been aware of the concept of free will. His life (six months in length at the time we meet him) had taken place only within the GenTech facilities, and he never knew anything else outside of doing what he was told. He had even been punished for any "unnecessary" questions, quashing any curiosity he had to begin with.

I wouldn't say that he was programmed. I'd say he was -- as Kata put it -- brainwashed and just blank. Later on, we see that Tau did have the capacity to question, to want, and to think for himself. He just never had the space to express or to exercise any of these aspects of himself.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nerea wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 13:47 I don't think the title robot fits him because he was trained to be obedient to the scientists in the absence of someone to challenge his loyalty to the scientists. So when Kalin kept questioning him, he may have started to have some doubts about the training. Just like humans, they may seem okay with a certain way of lifestyle until somebody else with a different view about the lifestyle questions them, that's when they start having doubts about the lifestyle they are leading and decide to follow a new path introduced to them. For me Project Tau is a clone.
I agree he is a clone, he just made me think of the robot Sophie. It is really a scary thought that scientists have come far enough to develop Clones, and probably soon will be able to develop human clones too. I wonder if they ever accomplish it will the real human clone be similar to Tau! The modern robots are scary enough!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Elmaestro wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 14:23 I don't think Project Tau seemed like a robot because it is the questionings by Kalin that made him realize he is more human and that he can live freely without being controlled... This is part of what made him escape because he wanted to be free of mind!
Very true! I appreciate the input!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

leximutia wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 18:36 Personally, I did not see him as a robot. I saw him as a child that had never been aware of the concept of free will. His life (six months in length at the time we meet him) had taken place only within the GenTech facilities, and he never knew anything else outside of doing what he was told. He had even been punished for any "unnecessary" questions, quashing any curiosity he had to begin with.

I wouldn't say that he was programmed. I'd say he was -- as Kata put it -- brainwashed and just blank. Later on, we see that Tau did have the capacity to question, to want, and to think for himself. He just never had the space to express or to exercise any of these aspects of himself.
Very well said! It will be interesting to see what happens to him out in the world if that is how the next book portrays him.
B. Creech
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

To me, Project Tau was more of a human than a robot. This is because the early stages of Project Tau can be related to that of an obedient child, who does whatever he or she has been instructed to. At some point, we could see that Project Tau, just like humans, started growing into a teenager with curiosity the moment Kalin began to question his every reasoning. The fact that he gave in to peer pressure, and saw the need to embark on the quest for freedom is an ultimate move to the conclusion that Project Tau is human.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

Nerea wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 13:47 I don't think the title robot fits him because he was trained to be obedient to the scientists in the absence of someone to challenge his loyalty to the scientists. So when Kalin kept questioning him, he may have started to have some doubts about the training. Just like humans, they may seem okay with a certain way of lifestyle until somebody else with a different view about the lifestyle questions them, that's when they start having doubts about the lifestyle they are leading and decide to follow a new path introduced to them. For me Project Tau is a clone.
I very much agree. Project Tau was never a robot. Just like the army, he did what he was asked of. All he needed was an eye opener on how he ought to be treated and boom, he started searching for a better life. That’s 100% human behavior if you ask me
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

B Creech wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:53
leximutia wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 18:36 Personally, I did not see him as a robot. I saw him as a child that had never been aware of the concept of free will. His life (six months in length at the time we meet him) had taken place only within the GenTech facilities, and he never knew anything else outside of doing what he was told. He had even been punished for any "unnecessary" questions, quashing any curiosity he had to begin with.

Very well said! It will be interesting to see what happens to him out in the world if that is how the next book portrays him.
Oh definitely! Tau is one of my favorite characters in the book (unique in personality and origin and super endearing), and I'm really looking forward to seeing the events in the next book and his reaction to them. :D
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I definitely think that Tau was a clone and not just a robot. Tau had feelings and was learning from experience, which is a hard trait to find in robots. The only problem with Tau was that he did not know how to express himself and how to react. He had no memory of how to handle situations.
Humans behave in a certain way because of past experiences. But with Tau he had no past experiences.
He was gradually learning and creating a memory of his own. I see Tau as a small child who does what it is asked to do, until it is capable of making the right choices. I think Tau would also learn eventually.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

DEEPA PUJARI wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:38 I definitely think that Tau was a clone and not just a robot. Tau had feelings and was learning from experience, which is a hard trait to find in robots. The only problem with Tau was that he did not know how to express himself and how to react. He had no memory of how to handle situations.
Humans behave in a certain way because of past experiences. But with Tau he had no past experiences.
He was gradually learning and creating a memory of his own. I see Tau as a small child who does what it is asked to do, until it is capable of making the right choices. I think Tau would also learn eventually.
Thanks for your input, you have some great points! I don't think Tau was a robot, his mannerisms just reminded me of one of the advanced robots that are being made now. It is actually creepy to see than and how they can communicate with people. Same as Tau being a clone and able to communicate. I think you are right about Tau learning and developing experiences he will remember later. And I like your comparison of Tau to a small child, it makes a lot of sense!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”